need help in figuring out cemetery name

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ally
Veteran
Veteran

need help in figuring out cemetery name

Post by ally »

Hi,

I have a few death certs I got from the archives. I am puzzled as to the name of the cemetery they all seem to be buried in.

They all died in Hoboken, NJ from 1892-1916 and listed as being buried in
Hud. Co. Cath Cem,

I am assuming it means Hudson County Catholic Cemetery, but I know of no cemetery by that name today. I know Hoboken, Mcplaleh, Flower Hill, Holy Name, Bayview, Grove, Fairvew to name a few. I goggled also, but nothing comes close to this abbreviation.

Anyone have any ideas or knows something about this cemetery????

Thanks,

Ally :D
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: need help in figuring out cemetery name

Post by nuccia »

Hi Ally,

I posted a request for you here..

http://www.findagrave.com/forums/showfl ... e=0#678341

Hopefully, we should get an answer soon. These people are experts in this area!

I think the cemetery may be attched to one of the ones you mentioned. Lets wait and see what happens next.

Hope this helps
Nuccia
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
ally
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ally »

Hey Nuccia,

That is a good idea, didn't think of that. I did list some burials on their site.
Those guys are great, they get you pics of tombstones so fast.

Hopefully they will know what cemetery this is. I asked my dad, he thinks it could be part of Hoboken Cemetery, which I think is one that is pretty run down. It is off the main road 1 & 9 and I remember as a kid saying how bad it looked then!

I tried finding that Larry Vernelux (Vernaglia) birth record at the archives, it isn't there. Still wondering who this kid is. The other info fits for my gram and her parents, their arrivals too. No one knows of this child, none of 8 kids of grams!!! This 1900 census has to be them!

And the arrival is correct. Perfect ages, and to whom they were going, I still cannot believe she found it. I looked for this for so long!!!!!

Hope your doing well, by the way, I been having trouble gettting onto this website, do you know anything about it??? It says the server may be down or something????

Talk to ya later,
Alice

Today is the last day of school for my kids! My freedom is over( :( ) for 2 mos. My poor daughter has a book report to do over summerbreak. It needs to be handed in on the 1st day of school, she is so bummed!!!!!
Have to think of somethings they can do.
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Ally,

If you have a local funeral home that has been in business that dates back to the date of the death certificate, try asking them. With a little luck the funeral home will be a family business, or have an "old timer" there. They can usually tell you what the current name of the cemetery on the death certificate is.

The other place to ask is a cemetery monument maker. Often there is someone who can identify the location of old cemeteries.
ally
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ally »

Hi Debbie,

I know of a few, but they either burned down in late 70's early 80's.
The undertaker is no longer alive. And his funeral home is no longer there.

I never thought of asking a monument maker, seems interesting enough, I mean the business should have been around long enough.

I have one funeral home in North Bergen, actually went to High School with the son who is running the business now, maybe I will call him and he can ask his father for me, worth a shot right???

Thanks for the other avenue to take, will google list monument makers, see what I turn up, thanks!!!!

Ally
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Hi Ally,

well at least we got a reply on FAG...Worth a shot. Make the call and see what happens. Let us know.

Hugs
Nuccia
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
ally
Veteran
Veteran

Re: need help in fig/out cemetery name-Hud County Cath Cem

Post by ally »

Hi Posters F.Y.I.,

Just found out the following on the above cemetery.

Hudson County Catholic Cemetery, also abbreviated as H.C.C.C. is actually the:

Catholic Cemetery, 823 West Side Avenue, Jersey City, NJ 07036
phone # 201-433-0342

aka: Holy Name Cemetery, Jersey City.

In early 1890's - 1900's this cemetery went also by these names.

Just in case anyone has any family listed at HCCC or Hud Cty Cath Cem
This is the place they would be buried. Most helpful woman, no trouble in lookups, I had 6.

Ally
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

That's great Ally!

We posted at the same time, too...That's one more thing out of your way. Now, to find out who was Larry......

Nuccia
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
ally
Veteran
Veteran

Re: need help in figuring out cemetery name - Larry

Post by ally »

Nuccia,

Put a call in to Grove Cemetery, No. Bergen. this is where all other direct family members are buried.

I know it is going to be hard to track, cannot locate birth record in archives. I do know that he did died sometime between 1900-1910 as in the 1910 census, it only listed Francesco, Angelarosa, Antionette, Anna and the unknown Mary with child Catherine. Larry was not listed and he was only 10, so couldn't have left home yet!!!!

Hope she finds him, she did find the other sister Maria who died age 6 buried there, keeping my fingers crossed.

I just about wrapped up my fathers moms family. I never thought this day would come. My distant relative in Brazil has been most kind and helpful. he rented out alot films and email me much information. Just waiting for teh family status sheets from them.

although I think I got ripped off, I wrote in April and have not gotten a reply back. Luiz, said he would write for me and get them if I don't by the end of the month. He has requested so many with no problem.

Enough about that hoping on Larry!!!!

Talk soon,
Ally