Another Photo Comparison

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Another Photo Comparison

Post by darkerhorse »

Here's three photos.

Two have been identified as the same person, let's call him SP.

Is the unknown-club photo also him?

Of course, he also has a mustache, but I was struck by the similarity in body posture down to the hands.

The third photo gives those nose and ears fans something more to work with.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Re: Another Photo Comparison

Post by darkerhorse »

I'd date the two seated photos about 20 years apart.
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

Here are cropped close-ups of pic 2 & 3 enhanced...

I say DEFINITELY the same gentleman...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark

If you ignore your foundation, your house will eventually collapse...

Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci DelBrusco Falera Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

Wow! Great work.

I was hesitant because of the heavier brow in the older photo, but i think it's an illusion due to his eyebrows having turned white (or gray). The older man is known to have had reddish hair in youth, so would colorization help?

Do you also see similar body posture?

If they're the same man that might lead to a breakthrough.

The younger photo is cropped from a group photo which looks like a social club or fraternal organization, The older man is my grandmother's father. The younger man is sitting next to my grandfather. So, it would be future father-in-law next to future son-in-law. Because, judging from both of their looks in the group photo, I'd say it might be before my grandparents' marriage.

As far as I know, my great-grandfather belonged to only one Italian club (the less popular one. I can now research it further.
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

His hair does look like it could be a rich reddish-brown.
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

I should say I showed these photos to the wife of one of his sons, and to a few of his grandchildren from other sons and daughters, and none of them made a positive ID.
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

The clothes and shoes are similar.

The older man is 62 years old.

How old does the younger man look?
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

Would you agree that both left hands have wedding rings on them?
Hands.jpg
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

Cororized:

It DOES appear to accentuate the brow/skull shape on the younger photo. Ears, nose, shape of face, mouth, eye spacing all the same. No doubts in my mind. And yes, I see rings on both hands.
Mark

Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci DelBrusco Falera Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

You could argue for a reddish hue in the hair of the younger photo.

He's 62 in the older photo. If it's the same man then he's at least 48 in the younger photo since the man with the wedding ring on the right was married 14 years before the older photo.

Said differently, the man in question was born in 1874 and the older photo is dated 1936, making him 62 at that time. The man with the wedding ring on the right in the younger photo was married in 1922, meaning the man in question would have to be between 48 an 62 years old. By the looks of the un-cropped photo (not shown) I'd say it was taken around 1922-1929, when the subject would have been 48 to 55 years old.

Does he look that age?
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

darkerhorse wrote: 04 May 2021, 17:44 You could argue for a reddish hue in the hair of the younger photo.

He's 62 in the older photo. If it's the same man then he's at least 48 in the younger photo since the man with the wedding ring on the right was married 14 years before the older photo.

Said differently, the man in question was born in 1874 and the older photo is dated 1936, making him 62 at that time. The man with the wedding ring on the right in the younger photo was married in 1922, meaning the man in question would have to be between 48 an 62 years old. By the looks of the un-cropped photo (not shown) I'd say it was taken around 1922-1929, when the subject would have been 48 to 55 years old.

Does he look that age?
I would have to say it is not beyond the realm of possibility. There are just too many similarities for it not to be the same person.
Mark

darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

Yeah, as long as he could be at least 48 years old in the younger photo. I was thinking he looked somewhat younger than that. But, he looks older than the others.

But, if it's him, it makes sense, because he's sitting next to his son-in-law in the younger photo. Although, the son-in-law is invading his space, which seems uncharacteristic for him to do.

It's a group of nine men with no other identified relatives. It appears to be a group photo of fraternal society members.
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

The son-in-law wears the bow-tie. His friend is next to him, and the friend's brother is behind him. No one else has been identified. Though the man seated on the far left resembles photos 1-4 in the other comparison.

Looks like buttons on their lapels.

Does anyone else have similar group photos that have been identified as fraternal societies, like the Sons of Italy?

I don't think it's a wedding.
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

darkerhorse wrote: 04 May 2021, 18:12 The son-in-law wears the bow-tie. His friend is next to him, and the friend's brother is behind him. No one else has been identified. Though the man seated on the far left resembles photos 1-4 in the other comparison.

Looks like buttons on their lapels.

Does anyone else have similar group photos that have been identified as fraternal societies, like the Sons of Italy?

I don't think it's a wedding.
I agree about the one on the left, just by the "concave" ear shape. I would say SP does look like he could be 48 here.

As for their positions, it could have been by the photographer's direction...
Mark

darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

Yeah, my comment about position was an aside.

As I recall, in the other comparison, Photos 1-3 did have concave ears but Photo 4 didn't.

These are some photos of the son-in-law with dates for most.
SIL Ages.pdf

His appearance in the group photo seems to match 1919 to 1924, suggesting SP was 45 to 50 in the younger photo, if that's him. Remember the son-in-law, who is presumably wearing a wedding ring in the younger photo, was married in 1922. The undated, likely earlier, photos are similar too. Maybe the son-in-law hadn't been married yet and that's not a wedding band on his left hand, but another kind of ring.

In any case, dating/ages seem consistent enough.