Ethnicity vs. skin tone

Genetic genealogy is the application of genetics to traditional genealogy. Genetic genealogy involves the use of genealogical DNA testing to determine the level and type of the genetic relationship between individuals.
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Re: Ethnicity vs. skin tone

Post by darkerhorse »

Senor Wences died at age 103. Both parents were Spanish by paper trail.
Senor_Wences_1962.JPG
z - Wences.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

romans.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

He also reminded me of this man who was 100% Sicilian by paper trail.
Sicilian.jpg
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

I'm not going to find out overnight. It's going to take some deep research...
Mark

If you ignore your foundation, your house will eventually collapse...

Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci DelBrusco Falera Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

darkerhorse wrote: 06 Jun 2021, 18:22 romans.png
My DNAland report (which I also posted on your 'Sicilian DNA' thread). Note the Southern Eur/Med/West Asian adds up to nearly 65%.

I had forgotten about this one until Lenauk mentioned it on the other thread. This was from my Ancestry test.

I'm currently in process of uploading my 23 & Me test to see any differences...
Mark

Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci DelBrusco Falera Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

And the DNAland report on 23 & Me, which shows slightly LESS NW Eur (incl Finnish) than Ancestry, confirming my suspicions about my dad's side.
Mark

darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

I see no mention of "Sicilian", where's that come in?
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

Any idea what percentage of Italians have olive skin, and what percent of persons with olive skin are Italian?

My skin undertones are yellow, not green, (skin turning brown with sun), so maybe it's not olive skin.

My veins appear greenish or grrenish-blue, which I figured was the result of looking at blue veins through yellow skin (yellow + blue = green).

Maybe Italian olive skin varies from other olive skin, say Scandinavian or Turkish.
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

darkerhorse wrote: 08 Jun 2021, 23:02 I see no mention of "Sicilian", where's that come in?
"Mediterranean Islander" is the Sicilian (it includes a small part of Calabria and Cyprus (including a small slice of Turkey north of Cyprus). I see no Cypriot in any of my results, so I have to assume that to be the Sicilian. Since there are also related ethnicities to Sicily mixed in, I don't think it's possible to get a reading from ANY site that shows 100% Sicilian. It will almost ALWAYS be tempered by Greek & West Asian (& maybe N African). Sicily was far too large a Mediterranean melting pot.

Since my Scandinavian/Finnish is minimal, I doubt that's too much of a factor in the skin tone (not ruling it out completely). I've known my share of Scandinavians, and as I recall their skin tone had more of a reddish cast when tanned.

A yellow cast is part of the olive skin family, I assume maybe because it's tempered with the French Canadian it's lighter..?
Mark

darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

A yellow cast is part of the olive skin family, I assume maybe because it's tempered with the French Canadian it's lighter..?

Maybe not. Yellowish can be Mediterranean.

"Your skin will have a yellowish, golden and/or peachy hue if you fall on the warm side of the undertone spectrum... People of Asian, Mediterranean and South American heritages typically fall in this category, according to Selby. But anyone can have warm undertones, from the fairest of fair to the deepest skin tones."
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

darkerhorse wrote: 09 Jun 2021, 03:44 A yellow cast is part of the olive skin family, I assume maybe because it's tempered with the French Canadian it's lighter..?

Maybe not. Yellowish can be Mediterranean.

"Your skin will have a yellowish, golden and/or peachy hue if you fall on the warm side of the undertone spectrum... People of Asian, Mediterranean and South American heritages typically fall in this category, according to Selby. But anyone can have warm undertones, from the fairest of fair to the deepest skin tones."
Mine definitely is greenish rather than yellow when untanned. it's probably due to various factors, from ethnic makeup to ancestral location and who knows what else. It is what it is...
Mark

darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

Have you looked into the possibility that your father's olive skin and apparent Italian ancestry are linked to your new-found cousin? Perhaps they share a common ancestor further back than your uncle, especially since neither of your father's parents seem to fit the bill by skin tone or paper trail?
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

darkerhorse wrote: 09 Jun 2021, 21:34 Have you looked into the possibility that your father's olive skin and apparent Italian ancestry are linked to your new-found cousin? Perhaps they share a common ancestor further back than your uncle, especially since neither of your father's parents seem to fit the bill by skin tone or paper trail?
No. There are too many connections to my maternal side. She has no DNA connections to my dad's side, and her Italian % is too high to be deep in the tree. I HAVE explored that. She also does not match the facial compare to his side. Remember she was a 66% match to my mom...
Mark

darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

MarcuccioV wrote: 09 Jun 2021, 21:57
darkerhorse wrote: 09 Jun 2021, 21:34 Have you looked into the possibility that your father's olive skin and apparent Italian ancestry are linked to your new-found cousin? Perhaps they share a common ancestor further back than your uncle, especially since neither of your father's parents seem to fit the bill by skin tone or paper trail?
No. There are too many connections to my maternal side. She has no DNA connections to my dad's side, and her Italian % is too high to be deep in the tree. I HAVE explored that. She also does not match the facial compare to his side. Remember she was a 66% match to my mom...
My mistake. I was thinking she was related to your father's brother.

I understand your reasoning on the olive skin.

You couple that with DNA evidence to point toward Italian ancestry (instead of other ancestry) as the origin of his olive complexion.

Not having had a DNA test myself, I don't really understand DNA results very well.

Can you briefly summarize your DNA evidence linking your father to Italian ancestry in a few sentences in layman's terms?