Ethnicity vs. skin tone

Genetic genealogy is the application of genetics to traditional genealogy. Genetic genealogy involves the use of genealogical DNA testing to determine the level and type of the genetic relationship between individuals.
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Re: Ethnicity vs. skin tone

Post by darkerhorse »

Do any of your DNA matches have the same Y haplogroup as you?
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

darkerhorse wrote: 13 Jun 2021, 22:25 Do any of your DNA matches have the same Y haplogroup as you?
Good point. I think out of the 1500 or so that I've checked (from 23 & Me; they only list the 1500 closest matches) I believe less than a half-dozen share my Y-DNA haplogroup (of those that list one; I'm not sure of the exact number -- but at least 50%). And it's nowhere near as rare as my mtDNA haplogroup...
Mark

If you ignore your foundation, your house will eventually collapse...

Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci DelBrusco Falera Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

They likely share your surname.
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

darkerhorse wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 01:25 They likely share your surname.
Not one. One surname sharer (out of 1500) -- different Y haplogroup. How do you like THEM apples..?
Mark

Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci DelBrusco Falera Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

Then it must not be your family surname, just a coincidence that he has the same name.
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

Otherwise, if you have the same surname because you're on the same father-to-father line then one of you most likely had a break due to illegitimate birth or adoption.
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

darkerhorse wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 14:05 Otherwise, if you have the same surname because you're on the same father-to-father line then one of you most likely had a break due to illegitimate birth or adoption.
Since it isn't a common surname, the 2nd scenario is more likely. Now you understand why I keep pursuing answers.
Mark

darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

Well, I think that match would be a good lead. Have you contacted him?
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

To see where that common line in your family trees differs.
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

darkerhorse wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 14:31 Well, I think that match would be a good lead. Have you contacted him?
Not yet. I want to see where he fits first, if I can. I'm concentrating my efforts on Debbie at this point (getting her in touch with her 1/2 siblings), but I'll get there eventually...
Mark

darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

Like my father, my olive skin turns ruddy with the sun.

We had neighbors whose ancestors were from Lebanon and Syria, and knew someone with Jewish ancestry, all whose skin just turned darker brown, with no real reddish color.

What color did your father's olive skin turn with sun?

If mu experience is typical it might give you a clue as to the source of his olive skin.
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

I should add that my father was 100% Sicilian by paper trail, making me 50%.
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

In the Godfather movie, Michael, Clemenza, and Carlo strike me as having Italian skin, and Fredo to a lesser extent. Maybe the undertaker, too.

I know several of the other leading actors weren't even Italian in real life (Vito, Sonny, Tessio, etc. but could pass, though they didn't have the skin.

In Godfather 2, the store owner Abbandano comes to mind as having Italian skin. Young Vito could pass but didn't have the Italian skin.

Is what I'm calling Italian skin, the same as what you're calling olive skin? Because what I'm calling Italian skin is just the darker version of it.

My own olive skin is lighter and I wouldn't classify it as Italian skin, though it matches my maternal grandmother's family who were 100% Sicilian for centuries.
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

darkerhorse wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 23:18 Like my father, my olive skin turns ruddy with the sun.

We had neighbors whose ancestors were from Lebanon and Syria, and knew someone with Jewish ancestry, all whose skin just turned darker brown, with no real reddish color.

What color did your father's olive skin turn with sun?

If mu experience is typical it might give you a clue as to the source of his olive skin.
It would tan a very deep bronze. I don't remember any red, unless it was a light burn that would simply darken to brown (as mine does). I recently found my 11th grade HS photo online, and I am quite dark...
Mark

darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

Do you know which side of your father's family your Italian paternal matches are on?

Does anyone on his side, except his bothers and their children, have olive skin?