Rolando in Valpera Torino Piemonte

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
bobbilou

Rolando in Valpera Torino Piemonte

Post by bobbilou »

So I am sure I am like so many here.....Can't trace my family back to far in US due to great grandparents were immigrants in early 1900's . I guess all my life I have day dreamed that I have close relatives still in the region. So here is what I have:
George John Rolando
1868–1935
BIRTH 1868 • Valperga Ilaly
DEATH 12/02/1935 • Du Quoin, Perry, Illinois, United States
He married Catherine/Catterina Frosak? In Valperga
they had 2 children my grandfather Sylvester Charles and
my great aunt Lena to which the story goes was 3 when immigrated.
George's parents Michael and Chinta.

I know it's a long shot to just throw a random post out, but hey it's worth a try.
Have a wonderful day!
PippoM
Master
Master

Re: Rolando in Valpera Torino Piemonte

Post by PippoM »

I think this is him:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... at=1642729

Giorgio Giovanni Rolando-Perino, born on Dec 21st, 1868, son of Michele (son of deceased Antonio), 40 years old, and of Giacinta Bergera, daughter of deceased Giovanni, 38 yo, peasant. The child was born in their home, at via Peschiera, at 2pm.The child was twin of a stillborn female child.
The side annotation states he married Maria Frana (?) in Valperga on Jan 16th, 1893
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

And here is his marriage to Maria Catterina Frasca:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... at=1642729

Catterina was born on Dec 5th, 1871, daughter of deceased Vincenzo, and living Maria Maglietto.

joetucciarone
Elite
Elite

Post by joetucciarone »

Hi Bobbi - Do you have a Giuseppe Rolando or a Giacomo Rolando in your family? Giuseppe was an Italian immigrant and age 24-years-old when he arrived on the steamship La Gascogne on November 28, 1892; he is passenger #663 on this page of the ship's manifest:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1368704

Giacomo Rolando appears as passenger #705 on the following page; he was listed as a 21-year-old Italian:

Also on this page is an Italian named Giovanni Rolando (passenger #711), aged about 29, which means he was born about 1863. Ages on ship manifests are usually inaccurate, so you might want to see if this is your great-grandfather.

Giuseppe and Giacomo listed their destinations as Braidwood, Illinois, which was a coal-mining town outside Chicago that employed a lot of Italian immigrants in its mines. Also, if you look carefully at this manifest, seven of the Italian passengers listed their destinations as Du Quoin, Illinois.

Giovanni listed his destination as New York City and his occupation as merchant.
joetucciarone
Elite
Elite

Post by joetucciarone »

Here are two Rolando's, both from Italy, arriving on the steamship La Champagne on September 4, 1893. Giuseppe, a 22-year-old miner (passenger #485), and 29-year-old Giovanni (passenger #491):

There were a lot of other Italians on this ship and many were going to Braidwood.
bobbilou

Post by bobbilou »

Sorry I haven't replied before now. Have had grand kids for the last week so I don't get online much.
Thank you soooo much for the info. I am currently working on getting a copy of my great grandparents wedding license. I will upload once I get. Till then I will run down the leads you all have provided me with.
Again Thanks!
Bobbi
bobbilou

Post by bobbilou »

IMG_0274.jpg
Not sure if I attached photo properly. Pic of wedding license....looks to be the same. Hard for me to tell due to don't know Italian. Kind of hinders me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rlw254
Master
Master

Post by rlw254 »

Marriage celebrated in Valperga on 16 Jan 1893 between Giorgio Giovanni Rolando-Perino and Maria Caterina Frasca, both of Valperga. Certificate for the full marriage record posted above.
Apricena, Caltanissetta, Grottolella, Mazzarino, Montefredane, Salerno, San Severo, Vasto
bobbilou

Post by bobbilou »

I think I found a brother.....Anyone care to give me a second opinion?

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... 1UIV7&i=32

I have been retyping into Google Translate, it does ok considering I am still trying to figure out the hand writing of the day. What I call a f is a s so confusing even to Google.

Thanks!

PS Perino? Two last names. How does that all work and why?
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

Yes, this is a brother:
Giovanni Antonio Rolando-Perino born on Sep 28th, 1866.
A "double" surname was used in some villages of that area, probably to add more specification to some very common surnames. At some point in time, it must have become hard to identify families just by surname, so, it was felt the need to add one more. I mean, if in the village there were less than, let's say, five surnames, the surname itself would make no sense.

bobbilou

Post by bobbilou »

So an aunt sent me a copy of my 2nd great grandfathers will. In it he lists 4 children. In order Giovanni Michele, Antonio (Giovanni Antonio I have found Birth Sept 30, 1866), Giorgio (Girogio Giovanni my 2nd great), and Cecilia.
I am assuming they are named from oldest to youngest except for the daughter. I have gone page by page through the civil birth records Family Search has, and have not found Giovanni or Cecilia. Second assumption is these two were born pre 1866, and they will only be found in church records. Any suggestions as to figure out which parish? Or is this a contact every church in Valperga or pay someone to find?

Second question....Peschiera, the will states as well as PippoM via Peschiera the will adds No 13, address?

Thanks!
Bobbi
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

bobbilou wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 14:40 Second question....Peschiera, the will states as well as PippoM via Peschiera the will adds No 13, address?
I'm sorry, maybe it's because of the language barrier, but I didn't understand the question...

cedrone
Master
Master

Post by cedrone »

Yes, via Peschiera was the address of the house of birth of Giorgio, via Peschiera n. 13 identifies the house.