Antonio Massutto? Friend to the 435th Signal Battalion Bari

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
bobbilou

Antonio Massutto? Friend to the 435th Signal Battalion Bari

Post by bobbilou »

Thanks for the leads on my family. Now I have another one for you and this is a really long shot.

My grandfather served in WWII in the 435th Signal Battalion, 1944-1945 in Italy. He was stationed in/around Bari and Naples. I believe while in Bari (but could have been Naples) the battalion hired a young boy around 12-14. He cut their hair and did odd jobs. Grandpa became close to the boy and his family. The boys name was Antonio Massutto?. Antonio's father passed away during that time. My grandfather was there when he passed. My grandfather was given a family item from the father that I would like to get back to this family. Antonio did immigrate to the US, but I am having no luck on this end finding him. I assume due to name spelling.
Any help is appreciated!
mmogno
Master
Master

Re: Antonio Massutto? Friend to the 435th Signal Battalion Bari

Post by mmogno »

bobbilou wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 01:29 ....The boys name was Antonio Massutto?....
The surnames Massutto, Massuto, Masutto don't exist.
Maybe Mazzuto...
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?” 🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦 🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
joetucciarone
Elite
Elite

Post by joetucciarone »

As mmongo is suggesting, the surname "Mazzuto" is currently in use in Italy. But that surname is very rare as this map shows:

http://www.gens.info/italia/it/turismo- ... O2HRi1h1qt

A very few people with that surname live in Bari, Taranto and Milan. The largest number, about 10-50 instances, appears around Campobasso in the Molise.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

bobbilou wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 01:29 Thanks for the leads on my family. Now I have another one for you and this is a really long shot.

My grandfather served in WWII in the 435th Signal Battalion, 1944-1945 in Italy. He was stationed in/around Bari and Naples. I believe while in Bari (but could have been Naples) the battalion hired a young boy around 12-14. He cut their hair and did odd jobs. Grandpa became close to the boy and his family. The boys name was Antonio Massutto?. Antonio's father passed away during that time. My grandfather was there when he passed. My grandfather was given a family item from the father that I would like to get back to this family. Antonio did immigrate to the US, but I am having no luck on this end finding him. I assume due to name spelling.
Any help is appreciated!
The spelling could be MOSSUTO.... maybe...
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH