Info on Bernard Villardi and ancestors

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ccatanzaro3

Info on Bernard Villardi and ancestors

Post by ccatanzaro3 »

I am looking for birth records and ancestors of Bernard Villardi.
Born 27 Dec 1862, possibly in the region of Calabria.
I have information after he took up residence, married and had children in St. Louis, MO, USA.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: Info on Bernard Villardi and ancestors

Post by Italysearcher »

Have you searched US records for ship manifest and naturalization records? That should give you his place of birth without which research in Italy is impossible.
There are posts on my website about Finding the town of origin that might help.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
mmogno
Master
Master

Post by mmogno »

Do you know the names of Bernard Villardi's parents?
When did he arrive in the USA?
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?” 🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦 🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
ccatanzaro3

Post by ccatanzaro3 »

Thanks for your questions, mmogno. Brick wall with Bernard Villardi, who was my ggfather. According to census records, he arrived in 1884, and he and his parents were born in Italy. Possibly in Calabria somewhere. Can find definite immigration records for him, and naturalization info doesn't help with location in Italy. I've been using Ancestry.
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

Villardi by current maps is rare in Italy & is not found in Calabria. There are a few near Salerno (Campania) & northern Sardinia. Most are peppered over Veneto & Lombardia in the north. If you think he was from the south, I'd check towns in the province of Salerno first...
Mark

If you ignore your foundation, your house will eventually collapse...

Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci DelBrusco Falera Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
mmogno
Master
Master

Post by mmogno »

Maybe the surname is Vilardi, not Villardi.

And the names of Bernard Villardi's parents?
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?” 🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦 🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
joetucciarone
Elite
Elite

Post by joetucciarone »

Using Mmogno's suggestion that the spelling might be "Vilardi," here's the 4th page of the manifest of the steamship Neustria, which arrived in New York on November 16, 1885:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1849782

Near the bottom of the page are 22-year-old Ben Vilardi and right next to him is 29-year-old Ameleto Vilardi. This makes Ben's birth year 1863 and Ameleto's 1856.

Possibly related to this "Ben Vilardi" is a notice from the January 19, 1886 il Progresso Italo-Americano, an Italian-language newspaper published in New York City. The heading of the notice is lettere degli italiani, alla posta di New York, and it lists the names of 108 Italians, among whom is Bernard Vilardi. I believe this notification is meant to inform the people who's names appear on the list that they have mail from Italy waiting for them at the post office. This list was published two months after Ben Vilardi arrived in New York on the Neustria. Of course, there is not enough information here to show if this is your great-grandfather...
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

Using the suggested surname of "Vilardi", it appears a good locale to search may be in or around Mongrassano, province of Cosenza, Calabria.

Nothing came up on Antenati, but FamilySearch has records from Mongrassano, however not online (Family History Center only)...

Also try Cataforio, in Reggio Calabria.
Mark

Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci DelBrusco Falera Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
mmogno
Master
Master

Post by mmogno »

Or Cerzeto (Cosenza)? Maybe Ameleto Vilardi was Anacleto Vilardi .....

ATTO DI LEVA DI Vilardi Anacleto
UFFICIO LEVA Liste leva della classe 1856 Registro numero 44
RIFERIMENTI ATTO Pagina 178 sezione
ISCRITTO IL //
DATA E LUOGO DI NASCITA // a CERZETO
MADRE Colonna Maria
PADRE Vilardi Geremina
https://www.postercosenza.beniculturali.it/
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

Good find, mmogno. Cerzeto and Mongrassano are only about a mile apart...
Mark

ccatanzaro3

Post by ccatanzaro3 »

mmongo,

Have no information on parents or possible siblings. Yes, I've seen the surname spelled both ways, but in the US he spelled it Villardi. I will follow up on the other comments. Thank you.