Ethnicity vs. skin tone

Genetic genealogy is the application of genetics to traditional genealogy. Genetic genealogy involves the use of genealogical DNA testing to determine the level and type of the genetic relationship between individuals.
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Re: Ethnicity vs. skin tone

Post by MarcuccioV »

darkerhorse wrote: 25 Mar 2022, 23:11 I've been to the Forum, Dodger Stadium, and the Coliseum, but not to the new place.
Forum once (Lakers), Coliseum once (Rams), Dodger stadium many times (when my wife's team, the Cubs are in town). I haven't been to SoFi either...
Mark

If you ignore your foundation, your house will eventually collapse...

Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci DelBrusco Falera Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

FYI

I had a recent, routine appointment with a dermatologist. She said the veins on the back of my hands appear green because blue and yellow make green - blue veins seen through olive skin. She's northern European with blue veins shown clearly through pale skin.
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

Sounds about right to me. I'd say you got the olive (at least based on the photo of you all as kids)...
Mark

Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci DelBrusco Falera Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

I recently saw a pic of one of my paternal cousins when he was younger -- he was almost a dead ringer for my dad. Made me realize just how much I look like my mother's (Italian/Med) side...
Mark

darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

But, don't you also suspect Italian ancestry on your paternal side?
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

darkerhorse wrote: 22 Apr 2022, 04:32 But, don't you also suspect Italian ancestry on your paternal side?
Yes, and that keeps getting reinforced by DNA matches. I do have some features in common with his side, of course, but this cousin favors that side a lot more. My facial features (as well as physical skeletal structure) definitely favors the Italian side. Unfortunately I'm an only child so I have no siblings for comparison...
Mark

darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

I recently read that humans began with lighter skin pigmentation which darkened with melanin for protection from the sun as body hair was lost in evolution.

Is this the current thinking?

If yes, are darker-skinned people, therefore, more "evolved"?
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

Took a while to get this topic revived --

I wouldn't necessarily say "more" evolved, just differently evolved. I think climate conditions in various locales around the globe probably play more into it than anything else. But that's only my opinion.
Mark

darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

UV rays seem to be the operative factor, at least for skin pigmentation.
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

That is, melanin production as protection from UV rays.
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

As far as melanin production, agreed. Whether genetics has an affect on how easily or to what extent that production takes place, I'd say there may be a good argument for that either way, but it could also vary between individuals with roots in a particular climate zone.

Therefore, it's most likely conjecture as to cause, and not being a scientist or geneticist, I can only guess. I'm sure both trains of thought could be equally argued...
Mark

darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

I don't believe in evolution as a prime mover, of change, only as a tweeker, meaning that all species, phenotypes, races, etc. always existed, whether manifested or unmanifested, and variations occur over time within a category and, of course, categories inter-breed. Not that one category "evolves" into another category.
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

darkerhorse wrote: 22 Nov 2022, 17:11 I don't believe in evolution as a prime mover, of change, only as a tweeker, meaning that all species, phenotypes, races, etc. always existed, whether manifested or unmanifested, and variations occur over time within a category and, of course, categories inter-breed. Not that one category "evolves" into another category.
To that extent, I'm in full agreement.
Mark

darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

I recently read one definition of olive skin as brown with olive undertones. That would be more consistent with what I've observed in many people, including some relatives.
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

darkerhorse wrote: 02 Dec 2022, 23:16 I recently read one definition of olive skin as brown with olive undertones. That would be more consistent with what I've observed in many people, including some relatives.
That would describe my own skin tone, for the most part...
Mark