Symbol above church

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
scraig32
Elite
Elite

Symbol above church

Post by scraig32 »

Can anyone tell me what this symbol means above the door of a church? Thank you
Attachments
78640A9F-9B1B-4492-A7DF-4594FE07D2F0.jpeg
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Re: Symbol above church

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Hi Suzanne

I would say it is one of the many symbols of the Holy Trinity - three distinct persons but one God - Father, Son and Holy Spirit. I haven't seen one exactly like this though.

Where is the church?

Angela
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

Yes, it is a trinitarian symbol. I have seen variations...
Mark

If you ignore your foundation, your house will eventually collapse...

Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci DelBrusco Falera Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
scraig32
Elite
Elite

Post by scraig32 »

Hi Angela!! Thank you for your help. I was thinking it was the holy trinity as well. This church is my ancestral family chapel in Santa Ninfa- the Di Stefani Chapel located at Castello Rampinzeri.
scraig32
Elite
Elite

Post by scraig32 »

MarcuccioV wrote: 22 Sep 2022, 00:45 Yes, it is a trinitarian symbol. I have seen variations...
Thank you!
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

scraig32 wrote: 22 Sep 2022, 00:45 Hi Angela!! Thank you for your help. I was thinking it was the holy trinity as well. This church is my ancestral family chapel in Santa Ninfa- the Di Stefani Chapel located at Castello Rampinzeri.

Fantastic. The continuing story....

Hope all is well.

Angela
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

The "rosone" (=big rose litterally/ rose window), it have this name because seems, abt the decorations, a rose, the flower dedicated to the Madonna.
The "rosone/rose window" is a decorative, structural, functional element of mostly Gothic and Romanesque churches. But in the Middle Ages it also had a symbolic meaning that is of "wheel of fire" with reference to the sun, to the Light, in fact the churches all have the main facade positioned to the east, because as the sun rises and darkness escapes, so Jesus is born into the world , and rising from the dead, he brought the Light and conquered darkness and death.

The number of elements inside the circle symbolize the rays and normally there are 12 which symbolize the 12 apostles. In this case, they only put 3 circles in the big circle that are like rose or flower petals, and so I think AngelaGrace56 gave the right answer, because the 3 is always associated with the Holy Trinity.
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
scraig32
Elite
Elite

Post by scraig32 »

suanj wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 10:06 The "rosone" (=big rose litterally/ rose window), it have this name because seems, abt the decorations, a rose, the flower dedicated to the Madonna.
The "rosone/rose window" is a decorative, structural, functional element of mostly Gothic and Romanesque churches. But in the Middle Ages it also had a symbolic meaning that is of "wheel of fire" with reference to the sun, to the Light, in fact the churches all have the main facade positioned to the east, because as the sun rises and darkness escapes, so Jesus is born into the world , and rising from the dead, he brought the Light and conquered darkness and death.

The number of elements inside the circle symbolize the rays and normally there are 12 which symbolize the 12 apostles. In this case, they only put 3 circles in the big circle that are like rose or flower petals, and so I think AngelaGrace56 gave the right answer, because the 3 is always associated with the Holy Trinity.
suanj

Thank you so much! Such a beautiful symbol and meaning behind it! Thank you for sharing your knowledge with me. Suzanne
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

I always appreciate suanj sharing her knowledge with us as well, and always learn a lot from her, and am really interested in what she has said here too. I love all the symbolism as well. Thank you suanj.

I wasn’t quite sure what the smaller inner circle means, but on reflection, it maybe symbolizes eternity – that God – Father, Son, Spirit - always was and always will be i.e. no beginning no end.

Angela
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

AngelaGrace56 wrote: 01 Oct 2022, 10:25 I always appreciate suanj sharing her knowledge with us as well, and always learn a lot from her, and am really interested in what she has said here too. I love all the symbolism as well. Thank you suanj.

I wasn’t quite sure what the smaller inner circle means, but on reflection, it maybe symbolizes eternity – that God – Father, Son, Spirit - always was and always will be i.e. no beginning no end.

Angela
Angela, I can confirm for you that you are correct on the meaning of the circle -- it symbolizes eternity.
Mark

If you ignore your foundation, your house will eventually collapse...

Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci DelBrusco Falera Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
scraig32
Elite
Elite

Post by scraig32 »

AngelaGrace56 wrote: 01 Oct 2022, 10:25 I always appreciate suanj sharing her knowledge with us as well, and always learn a lot from her, and am really interested in what she has said here too. I love all the symbolism as well. Thank you suanj.

Angela
Angela- I learn so much from this wonderful group!! I would be no where without it. Thank you for your insight on the symbolism of the inner circle. I love this sooooo much! Thank you again!
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Angela
Thanks Angela, sharing knowledge, exchanging opinions, is always fruitful for everyone. I know that the descendants of Italians who emigrated abroad love Italian culture and appreciate it very much, so sharing is a way of thanking you all for your love for your family origins and Italy.
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

MarcuccioV wrote: 01 Oct 2022, 13:23

Angela
Angela, I can confirm for you that you are correct on the meaning of the circle -- it symbolizes eternity.

Thanks for confirming, Mark.

Angela
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

scraig32 wrote: 01 Oct 2022, 21:43
Angela- I learn so much from this wonderful group!! I would be no where without it. Thank you for your insight on the symbolism of the inner circle. I love this sooooo much! Thank you again!

You are very welcome. I really enjoy "symbolism" as well, especially where faith is concerned. It kind of helps to cement, deepen and remember.....

Angela
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

suanj wrote: 02 Oct 2022, 09:12

Angela
Thanks Angela, sharing knowledge, exchanging opinions, is always fruitful for everyone. I know that the descendants of Italians who emigrated abroad love Italian culture and appreciate it very much, so sharing is a way of thanking you all for your love for your family origins and Italy.
suanj

:D So true about decendants of Italians who emigrated overseas. My children love Italian culture and especially the food. They probably cook Italian food better than I do now, and they make their own pasta, which I don't. One of my children is currently living overseas :( and he often asks for my mum's recipes and about different traditions. He's been to Italy and wants to go back again. He loved it there - especially all the history and old buildings.

Angela