re: research in soccorso/gualtieri sicamino messina

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mezzogiorno62
Master
Master

re: research in soccorso/gualtieri sicamino messina

Post by mezzogiorno62 »

question. seeking death records-atti di morti-for domenico bonarrigo and wife mattia puleio. they married in santa lucia del mela in 1845. their children all appear to have been born in soccorso,which appears to be a frazione of gualtieri sicamino. this is between 1845 and 1852 from what i can see. daughter maria,my great grandmother,was born in soccorso in 1847. the parents dominico and mattia probably died after 1852. i see records for soccorso that go up to 1865 with a few years missing. then it appears there are no further records available. as soccorso was a frazione of gualtieri sicamino is it possible any further records for soccorso would appear under gualtieri sicamino? i searched as many years as i could in soccorso from 1852-1865,as these records are water damaged and very hard to read or decipher. i found nothing. records start in gualtieri sicamino in 1867 and though these records are much easier to read,i searched right up to the early 1900s,by which time this couple would have been deceased,with no luck. its always possible they died in another nearby comune,but not likely,as their children all seem to have been born in soccorso. i found no mention of mattia puleio but a few dominico bonarrigos. but not the correct one as theparents names didn't match. any help or suggestions regarding this search most appreciated
mmogno
Master
Master

Re: re: research in soccorso/gualtieri sicamino messina

Post by mmogno »

Did you look for the marriage records of the children to find out if the parents were still alive on that date?
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?” 🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦
mezzogiorno62
Master
Master

Post by mezzogiorno62 »

as i mentioned ,these pages are extremely hard to read due to water damage and fading. i believe their daughter, maria, my great grandmother, most likely never married, as i've searched for decades for a possible marriage for her with no luck. she resided in barcellona pozzo di gotto with her common law husband,francesco landino. no marriage there as i checked that thoroughly. i found the births of 3 of her brothers in the 1845-1852 time period in soccorso, but as these possible marriages would most likely have occurred after 1865 and no records are available after 1865 for the frazione of soccoro i could go no further. i checked marriage indexes in the primary city of gualtieri sicamino right up to the early 1900s,which are much clearer and readable,and if covering soccorso and the time period when they most likely would have married.i found nothing for marriages of these siblings of maria. pretty much covered all the options. question still is, does soccorso fall under the jurisdiction of gualtieri sicamino after 1865 as soccorso doesn't appear to be listed any longer as a separate frazione?
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

On Salvatore Landino birth Francesco stated that the child was born to his wife Maria Bonarrigo so maybe they were married:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1887904
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Soccorso almost certainly became part of the Municipality of Gualtieri Sicaminò from 1866..

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
mezzogiorno62
Master
Master

Post by mezzogiorno62 »

thats what i thought. as it appears domenico bonarrigo and wife mattia puleio,whose children all appear to have been born in soccorso ca.1845-1852 i checked as best i could water damaged and illegible death records for soccorso up to 1865,,then continued in gualtieri sicanwhen they appear to have merged with gualtieri sicamino up to 1910 or so,by which time domenico and mattia would most likely have died.nothing.once again,they could have died in one of the many surrounding comunes,but in the 1850s they were in their 30s and with a family less likely to have relocated. i may have missed something in soccorso,as i said the records are very damaged and illegible,plus missing some years,but from 1866 on i checked gualtieri sicamino,with much clearer images and still found nothing.

regarding francesco landino and maria bonarrigo. no marriage has ever been found for them. searched barcellona pg plus every surrounding comune ca. 1867-1872 allowing for francesco's age to have been as young as 15,but found nothing. his noting maria as his wife probably meant more likely common law for formality sake.may have married in a religious ceremony but never in a civil one,which would have been the only one recognized at that time. they had daughter rosalia in 1877,presented by francesco,daughter mattia in 1880,presented by a wetnurse,stating francesco's whereabouts unknown. maria bonarrigo was the wetnurse who delivered maria costante,my paternal grandmother,in barcellona pg in 1883. my grandmother considered maria her mother but this is unclear. maria costante "ignoti" could have been another child born to the unmarried but common law francesco landino and maria bonarrigo. no way to verify this. but they never seemed to have lived as a married couple. francesco immigrated to boston in 1888 according to his 1902 naturalization application,and "wife" maria bonarrigo didn't arrive in boston until 1902,14 years later,according to passenger records. she arrived with maria costante,my paternal grandmother stating nothing of joining a "husband" but only of joining son salvatore in boston. she died 10 days after arriving. this all implies more of a common law situation than a legal one.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

I read in the registers of Barcellona Pozzo di Gotto that even if a couple was not married there was still the mother's name with the wording: single. So it wasn't necessary to state that they were married if they weren't, plus it would have been a false statement.
Even the fact that marriage is not found does not mean, because she could have married anywhere, Francesco was a coachman, so he traveled by driving carriages and was subordinate to those who gave him work, wherever he was. It was not a permanent job, but they usually moved to owners who needed it. Let's say we can make it look like a chauffeur.

Instead, I believe that Maria may have had some other partner. If Francesco hasn't introduced the children anymore, it's because he didn't consider them his children.
Out of Christian charity they gave a surname very similar to Landino, to at least make it clear who the mother and brothers were. In fact
I read in Barcellona Pozzo di Gotto that some children had been born of woman who did not want to be named and therefore children of unknown parents, who bore the surname Landini, not Landino.
And the woman asked for custody of the child. She was obviously the biological mother who, having breast milk, could breastfeed the child and above all did not want to be separated from him, but she did not want to declare herself with her name, otherwise the children would have had the surname Bonarrigo and children of an unknown father. And she wolud have bad reputation in the Commune... Just a escamotage to don't have much social emargination..

The fact that Francesco left alone and that he actually abandoned the family makes it clear that he was not happy with how things were going in the family. In Barcellona Pozzo di Gotto there was only Francesco with the surname Landino, and then these Landini children who were declared children of unknown persons. But they were certainly Maria Bonarrigo's children.

I don't know the names of Domenico Bonarrigo's and Mattia Puleio's children, but they must have moved somewhere and the fact that they already had families is, if anything, an incentive to think so, because from what I read in Soccorso it was hard to live, for the poverty. And they may have gone to a bigger city with more job opportunities. To search, one should look at the Citizenship Registers of probable municipalities, because they took up residence in the new municipality and were obliged to declare it. It may also be that they have even changed the province. In those days, people moved or emigrated only for one reason: hunger. They were looking for securework to feed the family.

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
mezzogiorno62
Master
Master

Post by mezzogiorno62 »

very unusual situation. anything is possible. francesco and maria could have married anywhere i guess. checked palermo marriages for this time period, as francesco was born there. nothing. whats odd is the children of maria-and possibly francesco-were either landino or landini,but my paternal grandmother, probably the last born,was costante. her birth states she was born of a woman who declines to be named. barcellona pg 1883. possibly the very wetnurse who presented her and requested her care and custody. if she was the birth mother, regardless of whether the father was francesco or not,would this woman,just possibly having given birth hours earlier, had the strength to have appeared to present her? also odd as maria was from soccorso/gualtieri in messina and francesco was from palermo on the other side of sicily. and francesco 4 years younger. also, francesco was living in boston in 1902 when "wife" maria arrived with daughter maria. only to die 10 days later. my paternal grandmother, being the only one of 2 other daughters, and neither named landini or landino, was the only one to arrive with maria bonarrigo. this suggests blood, but on the passenger record-ss vancouver june 1902-maria bonarrigo is noted as adoptive mother. as a possible illegitimate birth wouldn't matter here in america,why didn't the mother acknowledge her and state she was adopted? virtually impossible to establish a family line here.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

In Mattia Landini birth record the home of Maria Bonarrigo was in 157 Immacolata st,
on Maria Costante no civic number, but just Immacolata st,
no doubts in my opinion that Maria Costante was a daughter of Maria Bonarrigo.
The fact that on Mattia birth record the surname was changed in Landini, this means that the civil records officer knew that she was abandoned from Francesco, because every thought goes in this direction: Francesco abandoned wife and children.
And Maria I think he was just trying to survive. I don't think one can think badly of her, because a woman without a husband, she was a woman with no income, and she tried to work day labor in the countryside, and the women were raped usually, by whoever gave them work. It was an established practice. The woman was held primarily as a sexual object. And even if she had had a husband and went to work in the countryside, the boss on duty would have taken advantage of it. A civil records officer explained to me that going back 9 months from the birth of the foundling or semi-foundling, it was clear when it was conceived and usually it coincided with an agricultural operation in which women also participated. Both Mattia and Maria Costante were conceived in August. Harvest time for tomatoes for the sauce and above all lots of fruit.

Francesco must have abandoned the family around 1878 or 1879. And he has disappeared since then. Clearly if with Mattia the civil records officer could have had some doubts that she could also be the daughter of Landino, but he certainly knew that the man had been away from home for some time, and left a glimmer of belated legitimation, in fact writing LANDINI instead of LANDINO if Francesco had recognized the child would have requested the correction of the surname on the birth record by petitioning the judge. The civil records officer knew that Maria had been abandoned, but didn't want have the slightest scruples about the case,
so he put Landini and if Francesco returned he could have the surname corrected if he believed that Mattia was his daughter. But no correction on the birth record, so Francesco never returned to Maria Bonarrigo. When Maria Costante was born, the chink left open on Mattia's surname was definitively closed and Maria Costante was declared the daughter of unknown parents. Why didn't Maria Bonarrigo give her surname? Because a woman who has been abandoned for years by her husband and who gives birth to children without even having a known partner was considered a bad guy. But it was a common practice that women who worked as day laborers, if beautiful, were raped by the boss. That's why so many foundlings, because if the mother showed up and legitimized the child, she made it clear that she had been raped or that she was going with other men, and would never marry again or if she was married, her husband would kick her out of the house. The blame, the responsibility for the rape, was always charged to the woman. So up to the child born in 1877 it can be said that it belonged to Francesco, the others were brothers or sisters only on the mother's side. Regarding the fact that Maria, having just given birth, could go and report the birth, know that before women gave birth much better and they happened to have labor pains even in the fields, they worked until the last day and could give birth anywhere if they were robust, and they got up quickly. It was another way of life.

Therefore, with regard to this family, it is not possible to draw a truly valid genealogical tree, because the situation was really borderline.

And these situations they weren't uncommon.

Furthermore, if Francesco actually married Maria, you should not look among WEDDINGS, but among Marriage BANNS, because they could or could not have the marriage transcribed in the registers of their town hall of the city of birth, but they could not obviate the publications as well as the status of celibate or maiden certificate, necessary to marry, which was always issued by the town hall and at the same time marriage banns were proceeded, both where they had to get married and in the towns of birth of the spouses. You say they could have only gotten married in church. Of course, if a marriage were hindered in some way, if the future spouses were of age they could only get married in church even if this did not give civil rights and for the state no marriage existed. But it was always a borderline situation which was then usually remedied when the first children were born.
I was reflecting: Francesco emigrated in 1888. But if he was actually married in the Municipality he needed Maria Bonarrigo's signature to be able to expatriate. It was a signature that was affixed at the Police Headquarters on passport documents. Without this signature from his legitimate wife he could not leave the country. So at this point a reflection arises: Francesco was not married, no marriage note on his birth record in Palermo, he was single, and he did not need any signature.
Regards,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
mezzogiorno62
Master
Master

Post by mezzogiorno62 »

everything you say pretty much backs up my research. i still don't believe francesco and maria ever formally married. no evidence in any of my research. it appears they were in some kind of common law relationship, although for a long period of time.at least from 1872 at salvatore's birth to rosalia's birth in 1877. unclear whether he was the father of mattia or my grandmother maria costante. seems francesco was in and out of their lives. he emigrates in 1888 and appears to be in the boston area for many years, working as a barber. he's last found living in fitchburg mass. in 1912 according to the city directory. it states he relocated to boston, where son salvatore lived. then he dissappears. no further reference to him anywhere. didn't die in mass. as i checked records up to 1951 when he would have been 100. nothing. could have died out of state but to my knowledge his only family here was son salvatore and eventually, upon arrival in 1902, my grandmother and his possible daughter maria, along with maria, his "wife" who died 10 days after arrival. no idea if daughters rosalia and mattia ever emigrated. checked u.s. passport application records to see if he returned to italy-his birthplace of palermo,or to barcellona pg to reside with one of his other daughters possibly still living there, but no records to show this. it doesnt appear he ever married or remarried after maria bonarrigo's death in 1902. maria stated on her passenger record she was coming to boston, with adopted daughter maria costante, to live with son salvatore. no mention of francesco,but on her death record it states married-and francesco's name. francesco was there as well. was this some type of reunion? why wait 14 years? sometimes there are notes on a birth record stating when or where a person married or died. nothing on francesco's 1851 palermo birth. ironically his father, salvatore, who was widowed in palermo in 1865 and remarried shortly after, was also a coachman there, and emigrated to new york in 1869. he became a barber here. in a jealous rage after an argument,he attacked his much younger wife, was apprehended by new york police, and before he could be taken in, committed suicide by drinking poison. this was in 1884. a newspaper story at the time. strange story but true.i have his death record. very unusual family by the norms of those times.probably this crazy fathers actions and the death of his mother at 14 affected francesco's attitudes and outlook on life. by contrast, my paternal grandfather antonio ricca, husband later of maria costante, came from a relatively stable family. born in luogosano avellino in 1870. his mother died when he was only 4. his father died when he was 16. had several older siblings. much easier to research and document than my grandmothers family.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Maybe you have it.. 1910 census Francesco, status widower, all other data matching, his surname was transcribed Sandino instead of Landino, but it is wrote Landino, clearly https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... 3AM2KK-HXT

However, he cannot have returned to Italy, because being a naturalized American citizen, if he returned to Italy and died there, the Municipality communicated the death to the US Consulate in Italy which transmitted the information of the death to the USA. So he was an American citizen who died overseas. It was mandatory to report the death of an American citizen to the consulate. And if so, we would have found her among the dead in Massachusetts. He has NOT returned to Italy. And he was already of a certain age, in 1912 he was 61 years old, he wasn't going anywhere, not too far at least.
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
mezzogiorno62
Master
Master

Post by mezzogiorno62 »

i checked ancestry database for us citizens deaths abroad in italy. nothing for francesco landino or any surname variant. i thought he may have returned to either palermo or barcellona or in those vicinities to reside with family. but at 61 in 1912 with his son living here and a naturalized citizen it doesnt seem likely. but if not in massachusetts where? a 61 year old man unlikely to travel far and i checked mass. deaths as well as new york deaths as his son salvatore had left boston and was living in new york by 1910 with his wife and their children as her family was there. been searching for a death record for him for years. his father salvatore as i mentioned died in new york in 1884 and son salvatore died there in 1937. to the best of my knowledge, unless daughters rosalia or mattia had emigrated to the u.s. and resided here somewhere, in some other state, and he had gone to reside with one of them and died there, he only had possible daughter maria costante, living in boston at this time and recently widowed with 2 small children,(my grandmothers 1st marriage before her 2nd marriage to my grandfather antonio ricca),or son salvatore in new york. as he was 61 by 1912 he probably died within the next 20-30 years. 1912-1942 by which time he would have been 90. the mystery continues.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

sometimes it happens that a person who lives in a boarding house with other people, who are not familiar, does things on his behalf, without informing anyone, so for example if he has to go on a trip to visit a child, he does not tell the other boarders. And if he is killed, for example on a train, or in an intermediate station, by criminals who also steal his documents, he is a dead stranger and that's it ... I've had a few cases like this happen to me. What is certain is that he does not appear in the 1920 census. He has a very consistent line of conduct, i.e. he never changed his name, he has always been himself, therefore he certainly did not come to Italy, otherwise the news of his death would have been forwarded to the Consulate USA in Italy, and therefore remained in the USA. Easy to find until 1912. Then nothing. Surely he died under circumstances, perhaps far from those who knew him and without documents on him, he may have had a violent death. Massachusetts has a good file of genealogical resources and there is no death of him. He will have been labeled differently, as"unknown". Only explanation.

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
mezzogiorno62
Master
Master

Post by mezzogiorno62 »

considering he was well documented and steady,a citizen,no name changes,a long time self employed barber,nothing makes sense. a recent immigrant with no history here could be more easily identified. he was here well over 20 years,steady and gainfully employed. possible daughter in boston and son in new york. the only answer to make sense would be if,for some reason,he was traveling in some distant state and died there. unlikely he died here in mass. with no identification or anyone to identify him. he was probably well known as he was here from 1888 on. complete mystery.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

I agree!

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH