Ancestry's most recent update

Genetic genealogy is the application of genetics to traditional genealogy. Genetic genealogy involves the use of genealogical DNA testing to determine the level and type of the genetic relationship between individuals.
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Ancestry's most recent update

Post by MarcuccioV »

So Ancestry.com recently updated their ethnicity matrix. And it changed SIGNIFICANTLY for me. Compared to prior estimates, it now at least falls closer in line with what all my other matrices have been indicating. The parentheticals are their potential "range" for what your results could possibly be -- the final # is their "best guess":

England - NW Europe: 27% (24-45)
Northern Italy: 24% (20-41)
Southern Italy: 21% (19-46)
Scotland: 20% (2-30)
Anatolia/Caucasus: 3% (0-8)
Wales: 3% (0-8)
Levant: 2% (0-7)

This also fits my research much closer (there is documented German farther back on my father's side, so either it was filtered out through random recombination or got swept up into the NW Europe category).

This estimate FINALLY has my Italian (although I think it's far more southern than northern) and Mediterranean/West Asian at 50% for the first time.

Anyone else notice a stark change in their results with this new estimate..?
Mark

If you ignore your foundation, your house will eventually collapse...

Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci DelBrusco Falera Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
afecad
Elite
Elite

Re: Ancestry's most recent update

Post by afecad »

Yes, mine changed as well. I would not hang your hat on it as it's all an estimate and the margin of error often is very high. For me, it's now showing Sweden and Denmark and states "Your ethnicity estimate is 13%, but it can range from 0—22%. " I have no documented traditional genealogy from Scandinavia on either side, it's showing on my Father's side, so I'm a bit skeptical. Did get my Mother's side quite accurate though, but the % and estimates are way off, but this also points true that we do not receive the same amounts of DNA from our parents as siblings and % received can vary.
mjclayton1
Elite
Elite

Post by mjclayton1 »

In the latest update, Ancestry finally shows more Italian/Sicilian for me. They only had, like, 4% before, plus the usual minimal Greek, N. African, etc. It was pathetic. Seriously. I have one confirmed Italian grandfather. I have records where he was born (Santa Lucia del Mela, Messina)... and back to my 4th great-grandparents. 23andme has me at 25% Italian. MyHeritage, 22%. Bingo. But until now, Ancestyr was just sooooo off the mark.

Welcome to the real world.
peeldecent

Post by peeldecent »

Yep, I also had a transformation. Since it's all an estimate with a frequently extremely wide margin of error, I wouldn't put my whole faith in it. I'm a little dubious because neither side of my family has any recorded traditional ancestry from Scandinavia, which is evident on my father's side.
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

It continues to evolve. As of the last update (later last year) mine seems the nearest to what my research has turned up. On my father's (non-Italian) side, I have extensive documentation & the estimate aligns very well with the past several gens.

On my mother's (Italian) side, it has refined to Italian & a sliver of Greek, which I can't verify as I can't go back far enough. But it seems accurate.

Their parental division split for me is 100% accurate. I'm waiting for the next update to see if anything changes. Unfortunately, my DNA matches run about 20-25/1 in favor of my father's side, so it isn't really helping my maternal research much...
Mark

Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci DelBrusco Falera Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
maureenfirst

Post by maureenfirst »

I have the same situation and it is proving to be very accurate. 15k paternal matches 2k Italian maternal matches with 50/50 split of nordic (paternal) and italian (maternal). All I can do now is wait for more italians to join ancestry!
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

maureenfirst wrote: 15 Mar 2023, 02:15 I have the same situation and it is proving to be very accurate. 15k paternal matches 2k Italian maternal matches with 50/50 split of nordic (paternal) and italian (maternal). All I can do now is wait for more italians to join ancestry!
Mine is skewed even more drastically: 24,196 paternal, 585 maternal & 1,685 yet unassigned...
Mark