Italian army uniforms of 1930s

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
barruzza

Italian army uniforms of 1930s

Post by barruzza »

I hope that I can load this photo.
Hopefully I am posting a photo of my Grandfather who
just passed a couple of weeks ago. He was 95 years old.
This is a photo of him in the 1930s, in Italian army
uniform. If any history buffs know if this is Cavalry
and which unit this might be, I would love to find out.
I love history and Italian history is very exciting.
My grandfather fought until the Germans captured him
and place him in a german work camp. He survived two
years and escaped under the wire.
Thank you
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Italian army uniforms of 1930s

Post by ricbru »

Hello Barruzza,
nice picture!
I would suggest you to give us his name, date and place of birth so we can drive you to the right direction to get his military draft card and military record. Sometimes this documents are kept to Archivio di Stato of the area he was born, or sometimes this documents are kept to Distretto Militare of the area he was born.
On this records you will find a lot of informations, also particular marks, skills, when captured by German, what Infantry or Cavalry he belonged to and so on,
bye Riccardo
daveferro
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Italian army uniforms of 1930s

Post by daveferro »

Barruzza and Riccardo,

Our cousin sent picture of a portrait of his father, Joe Testa, that he has on his wall. He says his father told him he was in the cavalry; you can see he has spurs and high boots on. Your picture is no longer available. We have two more of our great-uncle Elio in his 1930s and 1941 uniforms.

Dave
Ferro (from Ferri), Capriotti(TE); De(i)Marzio, Nervina(o), Colucci, Gatto, Testa(CB); Basile(BA) ; Bianchi(AQ); Augello, Bissi, Iacono(AG); Pisano(), Impaglia () Friends looking also: Vivenzio (SA); LoPiccolo(PA)-seems to be Lopicolo originally