Help.... Looking for Conigliaro

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
lp1981dj

Help.... Looking for Conigliaro

Post by lp1981dj »

Hey there...
I'm lost. I'm trying to find my grandmothers relatives and ancestry. The only information I have on her is this:

Name- Grace Elisabeth Conigliaro (always thought it was spelled Coniglario)
Born- Brooklyn, New York
Date- Sept. 11 1930
Moved to Utah in 1955 with her 3 older kids, leaving behind 1 girl to be
taken care by her mother.
Died- Oct. 12 1987

My understanding is she came from a big family. Her father, I think his name is Joesph came from Sicily. Her mother's name I believe Mariah or Mary. But I don't know when or where.

I know this isn't much, but anything would be nice. If there is someone out there that can help, I thank you in advance.

Carlie
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Re: Help.... Looking for Conigliaro

Post by JamesBianco »

Conigliaro will most likely come from the Province of Palermo in Sicily, I strongly suspect the town of Carini to be honest. It is one of the most common names in the village, and the oldest dating at least back to 1527, it exists rarely & sporadically elsewhere in Sicily. I wish I had a subscription to Ancestry to try and research this, but I'm sure the amazing people here will have you back to the town of origin in a flash! It's amazing to see how everyone works together, this forum's posts unfold families in Saga format which draws me in over and over.

Sorry to ramble on, I will follow this thread in case Carini is the town of origin.

Much luck!

Jim Bianco
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Carlie, is this correct? vj

Name: Grace Ortiz
SSN: 055-24-9697
Last Residence: 84105 Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States of America
Born: 11 Sep 1930
Died: Oct 1987
State (Year) SSN issued: New York (Before 1951 )
lp1981dj

Post by lp1981dj »

vj-
yes that is correct. that's all i can find without having to pay for those sites that I've tried but still couldn't find anything. plus i don't have the money to fork over to those sites.

carlie
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Carlie, have you written away for your grandmother's social security application info?
It should give you her parents names.
Most of the records on the $$ sites are 1930 & earlier.
With her parents names we could probably be more successful in tracking down your family...
If you had any of her sister's or brother's names it would help a lot!
Perhaps another expert here may have another idea??
vj

this link - another poster asked about social security info:
http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... =5185.html
lp1981dj

Post by lp1981dj »

First off thanks for the responses and help. I've been going from link to link on many websites to see what is out there. So far I've found out that most likely her last name was spelled Conigliaro and not Coniglario, like my family has always thought. I'm also leaning towards her parents names being Joseph and Mary Conigliaro. Since I live in Salt Lake City, I'm going to go to the Family History Library and look up the census and see if I have any luck that way.

Once again thank you and if there is any more advice out there that people are willing to share, I would muchly appreciate it.

Carlie
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi Carlie,

Here is one you don't have to copy @ FHC......not sure if it is the correct one...maybe more under different spelling. To bad that Grace wasn't born a bit earlier!

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/7140 ... 930sf6.jpg

And a link that maybe helpful.

http://www.italiangen.org/databaselist.stm

Good luck in your researchjcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Hi!!

Giuseppe Conigliaro... there are about 30 ship records for this exact name... and I'm sure a few more exist that have been poorly transcribed...

I know this census record means a great deal to you...

Can you guess at the years of birth for Giuseppe and Mary? (I do understand that you aren't 100% sure about the names...)

Since vj has already posted... that's a good sign... vj is one of the best detectives here at this forum... and she's probably looking into this too...

Please do take her advice about ordering her social security application info... since there's lots of American family history to discover first...

I have NO CLUE as to what I am going to look for first... but I will try to find something... and then come back with questions...

Lucky you... Salt Lake City...!!

James Bianco is such a cutie eh?? Hi James :wink:

Maria
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

jcsm400 wrote:Hi Carlie,

Here is one you don't have to copy @ FHC......not sure if it is the correct one...maybe more under different spelling. To bad that Grace wasn't born a bit earlier!

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/7140 ... 930sf6.jpg

And a link that maybe helpful.

http://www.italiangen.org/databaselist.stm

Good luck in your researchjcsm
Nice find Nonna J...going to see if I can make it larger and hopefully Carlie can confirm info..

nuccia :D
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Could this be his WW1 Draft Cards?

World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 Record
about Joseph Conigliaro
Name: Joseph Conigliaro
City: Brooklyn
County: Kings
State: New York
BirthPlace: Italy
Birth Date: 7 Dec 1889
Race: Caucasian
Roll: 1754222
DraftBoard: 27

image mis linked..

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/1447 ... rdshk7.jpg

and here is the resized 1930 census Nonna J posted..hope its clearer..

1930 Census

or this draft card that has a slighly different date and matches the census info...

http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/663/ ... rdsms6.jpg

nuccia :D
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Following everyones lead I found this manifest...could it be the one you're looking for?

First Name: Giuseppe
Last Name: Conigliaro
Ethnicity: Italy
Last Place of Residence: Capini, Sicily
Date of Arrival: Jun 10, 1913
Age at Arrival: 15y Gender: M Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Sant Anna
Port of Departure: Palermo
Manifest Line Number: 0022

Page 1

Page 2

Mothers name in Carini named Grazia..going to Brookyn...

James......might be something you're interested in! :lol: :lol:
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

IF the Giuseppe Conigliaro located by everyone above turns out to be yours, and the evidence certainly lends itself to that conclusion based upon the fact that your Giuseppe named his eldest daughter Grace (Grazia) and it is the standard procedure to name the eldest daughter after the father's mother in Sicily (and Italy). And the Giuseppe mentioned above was the son of a Grazia Scavo. Importantly also this Giuseppe they found had a wife Maria and lived in Brooklyn.

I looked in my records and discovered:

A Pietro Conigliaro married a Grazia Scavo in Carini, 1892 Page 151 (Volume 1884-1896 Maria Santissima (Which is the mother church) di Carini). It is the only record of a Grazia Scavo in Carini marrying anyone. Unfortunately that page (151) is missing from my site and files, however it would be easy to order the Civil Record from the LDS Church.

1892 is spread over two microfilms..

Nati, pubblicazioni, matrimoni, cittadinanze, morti 1884-1892 FHL INTL Film 1915520
Nati, pubblicazioni, matrimoni, cittadinanze, morti 1892 (cont.), 1893-1898 FHL INTL Film 1915521 Items 1-6

You might first want to order the Birth or Baptism for Giuseppe (1898/1899) from The LDS Church.
Unfortunately the Microfilmed Civil Birth Records end in 1898 so you wouldn't be able to order that record from LDS, but the Baptisms are available, here is the appropriate film:

Battesimi 1879 (cont.)-1904 FHL INTL Film 2149977

Of course you could always write Carini and order the Birth act.

A great interactive Italian letter generator is located here

here is the address:

Ufficio di Stato Civile
Corso Umberto
90044 Carini (PA)
Italy

I'll keep looking!

Jim Bianco
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

Pietro Conigliaro, age 51, leaving wife Grazia Scavo in Carini
departed Palermo on the SS Europa 18 May 1910 arriving New York 31 May 1910
final destination : Detroit, his nephew Giuseppe Conigliaro

Line 18 of this Manifest:

Page 1

Page 2

There is a note that he was Deported (a stamp actually) I'm not so sure what that specifically indicates.

The Detroit thing throws me off a bit, but it must be the same man as Only one woman named Grazia Scavo married in Carini (and to a Pietro Conigliaro no less)
lp1981dj

Post by lp1981dj »

WOW!!!!!!
Just doing a quick read is getting me excited. I'm going to copy all of this down. I can't thank you all enough. I'm speechless and for an italian/puerto rican/white girl that's hard to do. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Carlie
lp1981dj

Post by lp1981dj »

WOW! WOW! WOW!
I just finished coping everything down and looking at all the wonderful links you all found. Thank you sooooo much. Now I can use this information to find her living relatives.
Thank you all.
Carlie