pacelli from dragoni

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
dragoni
Veteran
Veteran

pacelli from dragoni

Post by dragoni »

i am trying to locate information about my greatgrandparents who hailed from dragoni. antonio pacelli (b 1870 d 1933) and maria gizzi (b 1876 d 1958) originally settled in the new jersey area around 1900 and then moved to new castle, pa area in 1914. they had five children - michael, rosa, virginia, teresa, and carmella. any information that others may have or recognize these folks as their relatives would be greatly appreciated.

tom priscilla
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: pacelli from dragoni

Post by brujaojos »

dragoni wrote:i am trying to locate information about my greatgrandparents who hailed from dragoni. antonio pacelli (b 1870 d 1933) and maria gizzi (b 1876 d 1958) originally settled in the new jersey area around 1900 and then moved to new castle, pa area in 1914. they had five children - michael, rosa, virginia, teresa, and carmella. any information that others may have or recognize these folks as their relatives would be greatly appreciated.

tom priscilla
Hi Tom,

Here is the ship's manifest for Maria Gizzi coming from Dragoni.
click here

This is a possible Antonio, but the birth year is off compared to the birth year you stated.
click here

The Family History Center does have microfilm for Dragoni. On the films you can find copies of the Birth, Marriage, and Death Acts of your ancestors. Here is the link for the film numbers.

click here

Still searching for census records.
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
dragoni
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dragoni »

thank you for the tips. i had the ellis island information but was looking for the italian records or other folks who may be related. i need to contact the mormon repository and can use the contact information you provided. bene gazie.
dragoni
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dragoni »

trish:

one item i could not understand is that in the 1900 ellis form it identified he had previously been in the us from 1888 to 1899 yet he does not show up in 1888 records anywhere. have you encountered similar situations?

i ordered the records from the local library and am eagerly aqwaiting their arrival for potential information. i sincerely appreciate your help. records on antonio have been elusive to date. my sister and i still cannot locate where he may have filed his naturalization papers for an additional soure of information.
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

dragoni wrote:trish:

one item i could not understand is that in the 1900 ellis form it identified he had previously been in the us from 1888 to 1899 yet he does not show up in 1888 records anywhere. have you encountered similar situations?
Hi Again,

Make sure you double check the various spellings of when your ancestor came into the USA. Remember, the people in charge we people like you and me and they were trying to understand people who couldn't speak English so there are many mistakes on the manifests.

Also, if you could find the Naturalization Records of your ancestor, then it should list when he came to the USA including previous trips. However, this all depends on the year he was naturalized. Anything prior to 1906 will not have a lot of information on it.

I hope this helps and keep us posted to how you make out with the microfilm.

Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
dragoni
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dragoni »

brujaojos wrote:
dragoni wrote:trish

Hi Again,

Make sure you double check the various spellings of when your ancestor came into the USA. Remember, the people in charge we people like you and me and they were trying to understand people who couldn't speak English so there are many mistakes on the manifests.

Also, if you could find the Naturalization Records of your ancestor, then it should list when he came to the USA including previous trips. However, this all depends on the year he was naturalized. Anything prior to 1906 will not have a lot of information on it.

I hope this helps and keep us posted to how you make out with the microfilm.

Smile for me!)
Trish
trish:

boy i tried multiple variations and no luck. it appears that the ellis site does not have information prior to 1892. is there another site or registry that might have information prior to that date? thank you for your help.
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

Hi Again,

There are other ports of entry pre-Ellis Island. The two main ports in NY were The Barge Office and Castle Garden.

Now Ancestry.com does have several ports listed on their service. You can access Ancestry.com as most major libraries, at major Family History Centers, Historical Societies, and the NARA Branches located around the USA.

I'll keep poking around on Ancestry to see if I come up with anything close.

Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

Hi Tom,

Do you know the name of Antonio's Father?

I found this, but can't say for sure. This A. Pacelli is coming in with a Male - G. Pacelli

Name: A Pacelli
Arrival Date: 16 May 1888
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1873
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy and Palermo, Italy
Destination: New York
Place of Origin: Italy
Ship Name: Alexandria
Port of Arrival: New York
Line: 6
Microfilm Serial: M237
Microfilm Roll: 519
List Number: 633
Port Arrival State: New York
Port Arrival Country: United States

Still looking
Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
dragoni
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dragoni »

trish:

wow, thanks so much. the data sure appears to be consistent but with two fairly common names who knows for sure. on his second trip he identified that he was going to stay with a giuseppe. g. pacelli could be that person.
dragoni
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dragoni »

trish:

oops, sorry i forgot about the fathers name. we are not sure but since he had only one son who was named michael, consistent with custom we suspect that might be it. thank you so much.

tom
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi dragoni,

Do you have year of birth & place of birth for their children?.....May help to locate census records.

Thanks,

jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
dragoni
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dragoni »

just for two of them. carmella 1902 camden, nj. michael 1904 glassboro, nj. the good folks at the local fhc tried to search with their databases but could not locate them in census records.
dragoni
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dragoni »

jcsm:

i am fairly sure that once they settled in new castle, penna around 1914 they remained there until their deaths. both of their tombstones have the last name pacella instead of pacelli. not sure at this point which name is actually correct. my grandfather changed his last name to priscilla in the 1930's - he was running for the office of sheriff in new castle (he won) and thought the name sounded less italian - or so he claimed as the basis for the name change. his sisters kept the last name pacelli. kind of makes the research somewhat difficult at times.

tom
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

possible 1920 census

Name: Tany Priscilla
Home in 1920: New Castle Ward 8, Lawrence, Pennsylvania
Age: 32 years Estimated Birth Year: abt 1888 BirthPlace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouses's Name: Mary
Home owned: Rent
Year of immigration: 1899
Able to read: No Able to Write: No

Name: Mary Priscilla
Age: 45 years Estimated Birth Year: abt 1875 BirthPlace: Italy
Year of immigration: 1908
Able to read: Yes Able to Write: Yes

Name: Mildred Priscilla
Age: 17 years Estimated Birth Year: abt 1903 BirthPlace: New Jersey
Relation to Head of House: Daughter

Name: Michael Priscilla
Age: 15 years Estimated Birth Year: abt 1905 BirthPlace: New Jersey
Relation to Head of House: Son

Name: Virginia Priseilla
Age: 14 years Estimated Birth Year: abt 1906 BirthPlace: New Jersey

Name: Tressa Priseilla
Age: 12 years Estimated Birth Year: abt 1908 BirthPlace: New Jersey

Name: Rose Priseilla
Age: 8 years Estimated Birth Year: abt 1912 BirthPlace: New Jersey
dragoni
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dragoni »

vj:

thank you so much. that is indeed the clan. the 1902 date of naturalization, if correct, will help simplify my search for records. the new jersey connection helps verify where to search with some information my sister believed to be accurate. all i need to do is narrow down the countyfor sure and hopefully get the naturalization information about possible parents for antonio (tony) and maria (mary). progress with your help is a good present for this evening. bene grazie.

tom