New Fee for Microfilm starting January 15, 2006 at FHC

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

New Fee for Microfilm starting January 15, 2006 at FHC

Post by brujaojos »

Hi Everyone,

As you all know, I volunteer at a Family History Center (FHC). I want to explain how and why there is a new cost for the microfilm.

The microfilm fee has not increased since February 1997. Due to the people constantly keeping their film on "Extended Film Loan", new copies must be made in order to distribute to other centers. Also, due to the increasing postage fees, the new cost is necessary.

In order to order and "rent" microfilm the fee will be $5.50 + .25(shipping fee). This brings the total fee to $5.75. Once the film comes in, you get a phone call or a post card notifying you that your film is in the Center. You are supposed to get 30 days viewing time unless film is on back-order which then will decrease your viewing time.

If you need to renew your film after the initial 30 days, the new renewal fee will be $5.50. This will extend your viewing time to an additional 60 days.

After those 60 days are done, you can renew your film for another $5.50 and you then can keep your film at the Center Indefinite (or as our Center calls it "Extended Film Loan").

However, please note that it is up to the Director of the Center to determine if microfilm can stay there indefinitely. Microfilm can go back to Salt Lake at any time especially if it has not been used in a while. Remember, all films are property of Latter Day Saints. Also, film is never to leave the Center.

This new fee goes into effect, January 15, 2006.

If any one has any questions, just ask.

I hope this helps,
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
MauroMags
Veteran
Veteran

Re: New Fee for Microfilm starting January 15, 2006 at FHC

Post by MauroMags »

this may be a silly question, but does the FHC ever allow the sale of their microfilm reels?

I can understand that they wouldn't want others profiting from their resources but what about local (non-profit) Italian-American societies that would want these records for their own libraries?

With a lot of the older (Italian born members) dying off, Italian societies could bolster their memberships by offering genealogy services, subsequently securing their links with the old country.

Just a thought,

Mauro
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

Dear Mauro,

You never know what might happened in the future. Just look how advanced the FHC is now. They are constantly filming new areas as well as putting on their information on microfilm and CD's.

You can write directly to the Salt Lake and they will answer your question within a few days. Here is the link for the form to use.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... il_fhl.asp

I also understand how you feel about preserving the information and our heritage. All I can suggest is if people in your group can give you copies of their information on disk, then you can try to start your own collection.

I will also state that those who want to do research as well as get records from various States and Countries should do so soon. The new Privacy Laws are starting to effect some records from not being released.

I'm sorry this isn't much help, but I'm sure Salt Lake will have answers for you.

Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
MauroMags
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MauroMags »

Are there specific Italian laws going into effect soon?
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

MauroMags wrote:Are there specific Italian laws going into effect soon?
Hi Mauro,

I don't know if this link will help you.
http://www.privacy.it/legge675encoord.html

I been so busy with work that I haven't had time to read all my genealogy material that comes in for me. I do know that certain areas of Ireland have been stopping access to obtaining certain documents.

I have to go through more of my source information for your answer.

Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

this may be a silly question, but does the FHC ever allow the sale of their microfilm reels?

I can understand that they wouldn't want others profiting from their resources but what about local (non-profit) Italian-American societies that would want these records for their own libraries?

With a lot of the older (Italian born members) dying off, Italian societies could bolster their memberships by offering genealogy services, subsequently securing their links with the old country.

An amazing idea Mauro.......I wonder if any of the Italian societies have considered this????
wldspirit
lady4law

Post by lady4law »

The rates already have been increased. I order films last week (LA) and had to pay the increased fees.
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

lady4law wrote:The rates already have been increased. I order films last week (LA) and had to pay the increased fees.
Hi There,

Each Center can decide when exactly they want to increase the rate as long as it's done by January 15th. Most Centers are using the January 15th date while others wanted to start the year off with the new fee.

Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

I was at the FHC on Saturday and made the mistake of thinking the prices for ordering microfilm in Canada would be the same price as in the US. Here it costs $7.00 per film (still pretty reasonable). I forgot about the exchange rate! :oops:

If you plan to order films you may want to call ahead to confirm prices in your country.

nuccia
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

nuccia wrote:I was at the FHC on Saturday and made the mistake of thinking the prices for ordering microfilm in Canada would be the same price as in the US. Here it costs $7.00 per film (still pretty reasonable). I forgot about the exchange rate! :oops:

If you plan to order films you may want to call ahead to confirm prices in your country.

nuccia
Dear Nuccia,

You are so correct with stating to call ahead to find out the fee. Each Country has a different fee for the microfilm. The rate I had stated was for the USA.

I wish you luck with your films.

Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Hi Trish..

Thanks for the Good Luck wishes..you know I'll need them.

You did mention to me that the fees were in US dollars but I had forgotten about it so it was totally my fault! :oops:

As Nonna J would say..had a grey moment I guess! :lol: :lol:

nuccia :D
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

And we all know that I have a lot of them :!: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

nonna j
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Nonna..you're perfect the way you are..and the only one that ever thinks you have a lot of grey moments is you! :lol: :lol:

You also have one h**l of a sense of humor..don't change that, ok?

Although I will start to worry if you are really this person.....

nuccia
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

How did you guess my true identity? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

PS (Had a "HELPPPP" call from hubby!).......Thanks, Nuccia, for the kind words.

Hugs & Kisses,

nonna j