parish or state records?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
sheronb
Veteran
Veteran

parish or state records?

Post by sheronb »

This tuesay im going to LDS, to view films from here:

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... umns=*,0,0

are they parish records or state records, and if they are state records, will it be easier to read? I have just brough Lynn Nelsons book, and after seeing some examples of parish records there, i nearly died!! The writing!!!lol 8O
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: parish or state records?

Post by ricbru »

Dear sheronb,
since LDS has only Sora civil record office microfilm, also foundable to

Comune
Ufficio di Stato Civile
Corso Volsci 111
03039 Sora (FR)
Italy

and to

Archivio di Stato di Caserta

and

Archivio di Stato di Frosinone,

you can request Sora church records (they are written in latin, you would prefer to request bapt, marriage and funeral certificate) to the following parishes of Sora

I hope it helps,
bye Riccardo :lol:
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

sheronb wrote:This tuesay im going to LDS, to view films from here:

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... umns=*,0,0

are they parish records or state records, and if they are state records, will it be easier to read? I have just brough Lynn Nelsons book, and after seeing some examples of parish records there, i nearly died!! The writing!!!lol 8O
Hi Sheronb,

The link you provided for the microfilm is Civil Records. On these records, you will find copies of the Birth, Marriage, and Death Acts of your ancestors.

Lynn Nelson's book is an excellent book and easy to understand. It will be a big help with the records.

When it comes to reading the records, you are looking for the name of your ancestor. That much you will be able to understand with no problems. Then once you get a hang of the years, you will be able to figure things out.

If you have questions, just ask for we are all here to help!

Smile for me!:)
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi sheronb,

This is an Italian-English genealogical word list that should help when viewing the film records.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/ ... Italia.ASP

jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

jcsm400 wrote:Hi sheronb,

This is an Italian-English genealogical word list that should help when viewing the film records.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/ ... Italia.ASP

jcsm
You know Nonna J, I just saw this site the other night and thought it was great. I can't believe I never saw it before (or if I did, I just didn't pay any attention at the time). I'm hoping that with a little bit of luck and patience I can figure out what the films read. I already have lots of info from Trish to help me get started and Maria gave me some great tips too..

Thanks for posting it.

nuccia :D
sheronb
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sheronb »

Thanks guys, i will let you know how i get on!!! 8)
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi Nuccia,

You're welcome......Let us know when you need the Latin-English one......Better yet, here is that one too, since I know you'll be needing it......I have faith in your research talent! :) :)

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/ ... LLatin.ASP

nonna j
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Nonna..

I'm glad someone does! Thanks for the link...I definitely will need it. Hope you're all prepared to listen to me rant and rave...not sure about this at all! 8O It so easy when I'm doing it for someone else but when it comes to my own research I really don't know... :lol: :lol: :oops:

nuccia
Syrlena

Post by Syrlena »

Actually, compared to other countries, the records from Italy are very organized. Most of them have index by year and are listed by last name so you can easily find people related to one family. They usually mention the names of the parents, and profession.
I am having a wonderful time looking at those records. I know some times the writting get a little bit though, but you get used to the words they use on the registerd which are usually the same.
Good luck and if you need help. let me know.
Syrlena
Syrlena

Post by Syrlena »

Actually, compared to other countries, the records from Italy are very organized. Most of them have index by year and are listed by last name so you can easily find people related to one family. They usually mention the names of the parents, and profession.
I am having a wonderful time looking at those records. I know some times the writting get a little bit though, but you get used to the words they use on the registerd which are usually the same.
Syrlena
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Syrlena wrote:Actually, compared to other countries, the records from Italy are very organized. Most of them have index by year and are listed by last name so you can easily find people related to one family. They usually mention the names of the parents, and profession.
Syrlena
Thank You for your offer. That's very nice and you never know but I just may take you up on that! :D

nuccia