Attanasio Family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Hootowl51

Attanasio Family

Post by Hootowl51 »

I am seeking information on the Attanasio family. Luigi & Teresa Attanasio came to the US from Salerno about 1890, settled in Brooklyn, NY for a short time and then moved to Paterson, NJ. Their sons Davide (my great Grandfather), Joseph, James and Vincenzo also came with them. There was another brother, name unknown to me.
Davide's wife (Eugenia Volpe) came from Sessa Cilento in the Province of Salerno.
Anyone with mutual lineage please contact me. Thanks.........
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: Attanasio Family

Post by nuccia »

Are you just looking to connect with family or do you also need some help with your research? We may be able to help but we need a few more details.

I was however able to find this..

Name: David E Attanasio
Home in 1920: Paterson Ward 3, Passaic, New Jersey
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1861
[abt 1867]
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's name: Eugenia
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Sex: Male
Home owned: Own
Year of Immigration: 1890
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Image: 6
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
David E Attanasio 59
Eugenia Attanasio 50
James Attanasio 23
Carolyn Attanasio 21
Margaret Attanasio 19
Susan Attanasio 17
Mildred Attanasio 14
Jean Attanasio 10
Florence Stone 91

David Census

Will resize the image later if you need to see it since it is a bit small.

nuccia
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

And maybe this could be James and his family???

1920 United States Federal Census Record
about James Attanasio
Name: James Attanasio
Home in 1920: Paterson Ward 9, Passaic, New Jersey
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1875
Spouse's name: Lena
Father's Birth Place: England
Mother's Birth Place: New York
Sex: Male
Home owned: Own
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Image: 189
Household Members:
Name Age
James Attanasio 45
Lena Attanasio 42
James Attanasio 21
Jannie Attanasio 18
Virginia Attanasio 15
Aaron Van Trum 66

Again, if it helps, I will link it for you later today.

nuccia
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Hootowl51

Post by Hootowl51 »

The David Attanasio family listed in the 1920 Census is that of my great grandfather and James is his brother. I need help to continue my research and place the family in Italy. Thus far I have been unable to document their arrival in the US.
It is not clear whether David and Eugenia (Volpe) were married in Italy or the US, as she preceeded his immigration (according to numerous censuses). And I am not 100% positive of his origin, but I am positive about hers. I have a picture of an unknown family member that is stamped with the name of a photography studio in Salerno.
I have copies of these censuses. I would appreciate any help offered. Thank you for your reply.
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Great grandfather's family in 1910?

1910 United States Federal Census Record

Name: David Attanaria
[David Attanasia]
Age in 1910: 45
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1865
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's name: Tesse
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Spouse's name: Jennie
Home in 1910: Paterson Ward 4, Passaic, New Jersey
Household Members: Name Age
David Attanaria 45
Jennie Attanaria 40
Louis Attanaria 20
Joseph Attanaria 18
Lena Attanaria 16
James Attanaria 13
Katherine Attanaria 11
Margaret Attanaria 9
Susie Attanaria 7
Millie Attanaria 5
John Attanaria 3
Jennie Attanaria 1 3/12
Tesse Attanaria 75 (Mother-Widow)

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/4058 ... 910jy6.jpg

What documentation have you obtained for this family?

:) jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
Hootowl51

Post by Hootowl51 »

Yes, this is my great grandfather's family in 1910. The name has been spelled incorrectly. I have a copy of the original for this census. Joseph, 18 years of age, is my grandfather.
The documentation I have on this family is:
David's death certificate and naturalization papers. Also Federal censuses for 1910, 1920 & 1930 showing him as head of family. NJ State census for 1915, also.
Eugenia's death certificate.
Joseph's marriage certificate.
Louis' birth record (NY) & WWI service card.
Lena's marriage certificate & Papers reinstating her US citizenship. (Lost when she married an alien)
James' WWI service card.
Jean's birth certificate.
Tessie's death certificate.

On my next visit to the Trenton, NJ archives, I plan to copy the birth certificates of the children. Now John is another problem that has been a family mystery, but that has been put off until later. Right now, I wish to concentrate on locating David, his mother & father (Louis Attanasio & Teresa (unknown) and siblings, in Italy, and documenting their arrival in the US. I am trying to document David and Eugenia's marriage also.

Thank you for your reply and assistance.
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi Hootowl51,

Have you tried obituaries and church records for the town information?

jcsm
Hootowl51

Post by Hootowl51 »

Yes, I've been successful with information here in the US. I am having difficulty finding the family origin in Italy, which is thought to be the Province of Salerno. This is where I need some help.
I've been researching my family close to 30 years now and have a fair collection of documents, but nothing on immigration. David arrived in NY in 1890. which is somewhere in between Castle Garden, The Barge Office & Ellis Island. Their first son, Louis was born in December 1890 in New York City.
I have transcribed city directories from Paterson, NJ showing the family living together, occupations, etc.
Thank you for replying.
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi again,

This maybe a long shot, because you should know both parents' names (maiden for mother)when requessting these records, but you may also want to try requesting David's military record (folio matricoloare) & draft card (lista di lava) from the province archive of Salerno, to see if they find the records. These will provide town of birth & Teresa's maiden name.

http://wwwdb.archivi.beniculturali.it/S ... SALERNO%22

jcsm
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Hootowl51 wrote:Yes, this is my great grandfather's family in 1910. The name has been spelled incorrectly. I have a copy of the original for this census. Joseph, 18 years of age, is my grandfather.
The documentation I have on this family is:
David's death certificate and naturalization papers. Also Federal censuses for 1910, 1920 & 1930 showing him as head of family. NJ State census for 1915, also.
Eugenia's death certificate.
Joseph's marriage certificate.
Louis' birth record (NY) & WWI service card.
Lena's marriage certificate & Papers reinstating her US citizenship. (Lost when she married an alien)
James' WWI service card.
Jean's birth certificate.
Tessie's death certificate.

On my next visit to the Trenton, NJ archives, I plan to copy the birth certificates of the children. Now John is another problem that has been a family mystery, but that has been put off until later. Right now, I wish to concentrate on locating David, his mother & father (Louis Attanasio & Teresa (unknown) and siblings, in Italy, and documenting their arrival in the US. I am trying to document David and Eugenia's marriage also.

Thank you for your reply and assistance.
Hello,
on David naturalization papers there should be written the right place and date of birth.
With this informations you can request his birth record of birth certificate, both link to aother informations like place of birth/residence of his parents,
let us know,
bye Riccardo
adellagreca
Rookie
Rookie

Post by adellagreca »

Hello!
My name is Neil Della Greca, originally from Sessa Cilento. I just saw your insertion and this is probably late for a reply. Anyway, my grandmother was an Attanasio and she actually was briefly in Paterson, I believe, in 1901-1904. There are still Attanasio as well as Volpe in Sessa. If you see this note, please drop me one as well. I would like very much to communicate with you.

Neil
Hootowl51

Post by Hootowl51 »

Neil,
It is never too late for genealogy. Was Attanasio your grandmother's maiden name ? I doubt it was her name by marriage, as my grandfather was only one of 4 sons to marry, and I know my grandmother's maiden name. Two of the sons never married and one died very young. All the other girls (6) were married. What was your grandmother's first name? I have learned a lot about my family since 2007 and have also confirmed their origin as Sessa Cilento. I would like to communicate with you also.

John
adellagreca
Rookie
Rookie

Post by adellagreca »

John,
Yes, my grandmother was an Attanasio, daughter of Vito whose roots were in Positano. I do not know the relationship between your family and mine, but I guess that, being from the same town, the two families are related. I know that one Attanasio did come to the US, most likely Patterson, and remained here. I was told this many years ago by an aunt of mine. I made a note of it, but internet was not well developed and I did not go far at all. I am sure that I have that note somewhere, but about a year ago I moved and the note could be anywhere. To make matter worse, I am not home and, therefore, those records are not going to be available to me for a while. I will see what I can find out a different way.
David (actually Ottavio) and Maria Eugenia Volpe were married in Sessa about a year before they travelled to the US. I have seen their Marriage Certificate.
I do have a Facebook account as Aniello Della Greca. If you see this and want to get in touch with me, that is perhaps the easiest way
Neil
Hootowl51

Post by Hootowl51 »

Neil,
I don't have a Vito Attanasio in my line. There are 13 Attanasio's buried in Holy Sepulchre Cemetery in Totowa, NJ and I am related to all of them. My grand parents are there, (Joseph and Mary), Ottavio, my great grandfather, (Ottavio & Eugenia) are there, as well as Ottavio's mother and father (Luigi and Teresa), my great great grandparents. According to the 1910 Federal Census, Teresa had 5 children born of her marriage, 3 living at that time. I could only account for 2 children; Joseph and Vincenzo, alive in Paterson at that time, and another Vincenzo, who died young in Italy. I could never account for the remaining 2 children. Did your grandmother have any brothers and sisters? What are their names? Is there a way for us to communicate, away from this forum? Do you want me to contact you via e-mail? I do not use Facebook, I am considering opening an account there.
Hootowl51

Post by Hootowl51 »

Neil,
I meant I could only account for 3 of the 5 children, plus one that died young in Italy.
John