Newbie Post

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
SimoneTessitore
Rookie
Rookie

Newbie Post

Post by SimoneTessitore »

I stumbled in to this website by accident and am thrilled. I've only been working on my family tree for a few weeks and am totally hooked. My great grandmother was Maria Sylvia Rossi Palladina Farina from Caserta.

Never having been close to my father I didn't know the first thing about this family until I started this quest a few weeks ago. Now my tree is 200 strong and I am emailing with half a dozen cousins that are all thrilled someone has taken on this challenge.

I'll keep checking back here for 'expert' advice.

Thanks,

Simone Tessitore
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Newbie Post

Post by wldspirit »

Welcome to ItalianGenealogy.... :D
We're always happy to help search or answer any questions you may have....
wldspirit
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi Simone,

Glad you found us.

Is that the town/city of or the province of Caserta.

What documentation have you obtained for her? And what can we do to help?

jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
SimoneTessitore
Rookie
Rookie

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I'm starting, as I said, with Maria Rossi from Caserta. The ship manifest I found from the Moltke, 10/3/1911 shows place of origin as Caserta, Italy for Maria and her first 2 daughters, Philomena (my grandmother) and Pasqualina.

And a 1919 birth certificate of another daughter (Erminia) says Caserta. But neither say city or province. I have a request for SS# from Philomena that says she was born in Casola, Prov of Benevento, Italy. But that also says her mothers last name is Russo, not Rossi, so I don't know how accurate it is.

I'm having pretty good luck finding the descendents of (most of) the 8 children of Maria. Once cousin puts me in touch with another and it's snowballing.

I found them in the 1920 census and the 1930 census in Connecticut. Oh, there is something you can help me with. The 1930 census shows Farino, James (Marias 2nd husband), then lists Mary (who is really Maria), and Peter (the only son). Then lists Palladino, Pasqualina, Rose,.... and then the page is cut off at #81. Now I know it goes to 100 but I have searched every which way for that next page and can't find it. There should be other step daughters listed there.. Philomena, Annette, Josephine, Erminia and Vincenza.

If you can help me find that page that would be fantastic.

And... how do you print this stuff and make it look decent? I am having the worst time getting everything on one page. If I make it big enough to read, then print, it only ever prints the first section of the top page. Shouldn't it go on the several more pieces of paper, like any other document would?

OK, and while were at it how about any siblings / parents of Maria? I haven't tried to go 'back' from her until I've gotten everything current under control, but if you know how......

Thanks for your assistance.

Simone Tessitore
Simone
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

For reference:

page 1......
http://ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup_wei ... &line=0027

page 2.....
http://ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup_wei ... &line=0027

Maria list FATHER as PASQUALE.
To go farther back, identifying the exact town of origin, you can check to see if the town of origin has been microfilmed by the Lds, and if it has not, you would then need to write to the comune itself, requesting extracts of original documents. These list more detailed info than the certificates. All records are kept at the comune level.

Have you located the manifest of Maria's husband? This could help confirm the town of origin.......

wldspirit
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

I believe that the surname is Russo.... and the town Caserta, it could be right, because Casola is a hamleth of Caserta town... so a search in Mormon's microfilms
it could be helpful:
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... umns=*,0,0
also is interesting that the first daughter was of 3 y old, and the last only 9 months old, and so francesco must be emigrated abt December 1910 or, max, january 1911....
regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Given the childrens ages......Suanj is right.

As for printing out these overly large documents......I still have not figured that one out...... :?

Perhaps Bob.....our resident computer guru can help us both out on that one!!!! :wink:

wldspirit
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Francesco Palladino Mar 29, 1911 ship's manifest, coming from Casola, Maria wife in Casola, joining Clementina sister:

pag 1

pag 2

regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
SimoneTessitore
Rookie
Rookie

Wow. You guys are amazing. Thank you so much. Now of course I have more questions. I have the Manifest for Maria but it's a different version of the same piece of paper you linked me to. Yours has actual names on it, and her fathers name. Why is that list different than the one I have?

And yes, I have found her maiden name to be Russo and Rossi, depends on which document you look at.

And what's the difference between Caserta and Casola? Are they separate cities? On a county or province?

Thanks guys.

Simone
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

SimoneTessitore wrote:Thanks for the warm welcome.

I'm starting, as I said, with Maria Rossi from Caserta. The ship manifest I found from the Moltke, 10/3/1911 shows place of origin as Caserta, Italy for Maria and her first 2 daughters, Philomena (my grandmother) and Pasqualina.

And a 1919 birth certificate of another daughter (Erminia) says Caserta. But neither say city or province. I have a request for SS# from Philomena that says she was born in Casola, Prov of Benevento, Italy. But that also says her mothers last name is Russo, not Rossi, so I don't know how accurate it is.

I'm having pretty good luck finding the descendents of (most of) the 8 children of Maria. Once cousin puts me in touch with another and it's snowballing.

I found them in the 1920 census and the 1930 census in Connecticut. Oh, there is something you can help me with. The 1930 census shows Farino, James (Marias 2nd husband), then lists Mary (who is really Maria), and Peter (the only son). Then lists Palladino, Pasqualina, Rose,.... and then the page is cut off at #81. Now I know it goes to 100 but I have searched every which way for that next page and can't find it. There should be other step daughters listed there.. Philomena, Annette, Josephine, Erminia and Vincenza.

If you can help me find that page that would be fantastic.

And... how do you print this stuff and make it look decent? I am having the worst time getting everything on one page. If I make it big enough to read, then print, it only ever prints the first section of the top page. Shouldn't it go on the several more pieces of paper, like any other document would?

OK, and while were at it how about any siblings / parents of Maria? I haven't tried to go 'back' from her until I've gotten everything current under control, but if you know how......

Thanks for your assistance.

Simone Tessitore
Simone I see what you mean about the census record. You might try and send in a correction notice to ancestry to try and fix it. The options can be found on the right side of the name page.

1930 United States Federal Census
about Rose Palladino
Name: Rose Palladino
Home in 1930: East Haven, New Haven, Connecticut
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1913
Relation to Head of House: Stepdaughter
Mother's name: Mary

Education:

Military Service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage:

Parents' birthplace:

View Image
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
James Farino 43
Mary Farino 41
Peter Farino 1 7/12
Pasqualina Palladino 19
Rose Palladino 17

View
Original
Record

View Original Image

View blank form
up arrow
Save This Record
Attach this record to a person in your tree as a source record, or save for later evaluation.
Save

Source Citation: Year: 1930; Census Place: East Haven, New Haven, Connecticut; Roll: 272; Page: 12B; Enumeration District: 131; Image: 974.0.
Page Tools
Save record to someone in my tree
Save record to my shoebox
Comments and Corrections
E-mail image to a friend
Order Original Certificate
View printer-friendly

Order...

High-quality printout
Make a Connection
Not sure where to start? Often it's helpful to contact others who share your research interests:

Find others searching for Rose Palladino
Attach to someone in my tree
Add this record as a source for someone in your tree (or add as a new person)
Save to my shoebox
Save this record for later evaluation and organization
or Cancel
Source Information:

Hope this helps a bit.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

SimoneTessitore wrote:Wow. You guys are amazing. Thank you so much. Now of course I have more questions. I have the Manifest for Maria but it's a different version of the same piece of paper you linked me to. Yours has actual names on it, and her fathers name. Why is that list different than the one I have?

And yes, I have found her maiden name to be Russo and Rossi, depends on which document you look at.

And what's the difference between Caserta and Casola? Are they separate cities? On a county or province?

Thanks guys.

Simone
I already replied abt Casola and Caserta, but, however I can say, again that Casola is a quarter, a hamleth, a fraction or as you want to call it, of Caserta town.
Regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
SimoneTessitore
Rookie
Rookie

Suanj; Thank you for the link to the microfilm but how in the heck do I use it? I clicked on notes and saw the lists of marriages, film numbers, etc. but how do I look at those films? Please don't tell me I have to go to Utah. Or Italy!!!

Simone
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Outline written by Trish for obtaining microfilm:
The proper way of obtaining microfilm from a Family History Center
1. You go to www.familysearch.org

2. Click on the tab on the top right called Library

3. Click on the words Family History Library Catalog

4. Click on the words Place Search and type in the town you are looking for. Then click the word search.

5. A list of the results will show up. (an example: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania)

6. Click on the link you are looking for such a Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Vital Records. A new page will appear where it will show all the films for Vital Records

7. Click on the link you want such as Death Registries.

8. Click on View Film Notes and a list of the microfilm numbers will appear.

9. Click at the bottom of the page, For a printable copy, click hereand you will get a form to print out with all the film numbers.

10. Click print.

Ordering Microfilm

1. Now the FHC does not have all the microfilm in their possession.

2. You have to order the microfilm which takes 3-4 weeks for it to arrive.

3. It costs about $5.75 a roll for 30 days of viewing time.

4. If you need to renew the microfilm, it cost about $5.50 for another 60 days.

5. If you need to renew it after the 60 days, it will cost another $5.50 and the films can be kept on an indefinite bases.

6. Microfilm must be viewed at the FHC.

7. Copies are $0.35 a page.

Written and Created for the Family History Center of Cherry Hill, New Jersey - by PTCTM - Trish - 02/2006

wldspirit
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

This is a link to obtain the address of a library near you!!

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... et_fhc.asp

wldspirit
SimoneTessitore
Rookie
Rookie

You read my mind. My first question was where the heck is a library near me? Then I scrolled down and saw your link. Thank you.

And I answered my own stupid question from earlier. I wondered why the link to the manifest you guys gave me had the family names and her fathers name. That's because I only had the right hand side of the page and you were showing me the left. Duh!!

Simone
Simone