Minelli in Crawford Kansas

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mental_limit

Minelli in Crawford Kansas

Post by mental_limit »

Hello everyone, I found this website and think what you guys and gals are doing is great.

Hopefully you can help me out...My Great Grandfather Salvatore Minelli lived in Crawford County Kansas. On the 1910 census it has a year listed of 1900 and the next column has the letters "PA" next to it. I cannot read what the heading of the column is though...is that the state abbreviation for Pennsylvania? Or Philly maybe? Also would like to find out where he came into the country but the Ellis island database doesn't seem to have him. Any help would be great...any more info needed form me just ask!
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Minelli in Crawford Kansas

Post by VaDeb »

Hi,

Column 15 is year of immigration. Column 16 is naturalization status. PA = first papers filed.

You can download blank census forms at ancestry.com

Debbie
mental_limit

Post by mental_limit »

Thanks Deb!

Just wanted to add that his WWI registration cards say he was born May 25, 1880 but his death cert. says 1882.
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Possible manifest?........

First Name: Salvatori
Last Name: Minelli
Ethnicity: Italian
Last Place of Residence: Asch
Date of Arrival: Jul 28, 1901
Age at Arrival: 18y Gender: M Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: La Champagne
Port of Departure: Havre
Manifest Line Number: 0011

Will link asap>>>>>>>>

http://www.uploadfile.info/uploads/bea4336640.gif

jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

jcsm, another link for your manifest find, ellis island is acting up again, vj
1901 minelli
rfornal
Staff
Staff

Post by rfornal »

SSDI Information:

Name: Salvatore Minelli
SSN: 364-01-5350
Last Residence: Kansas
Born: 25 May 1882
Died: Jan 1964
State (Year) SSN issued: Michigan

Also, here is the 1920 US Federal Census and WWI Draft Card ...

Image and Image

... Have you applied for the SSN Application yet?
mental_limit

Post by mental_limit »

I have looked at that record over and over before...the year and age matches, only problem is that it says he was meeting his brother "Luigi" (looks like) and in the 1920 census he has a brother Louis...pretty close I know... anyone think that "Luigi" might be "Louis"?

rfornal What application are you referring to? I am a noob when talking genealogy...
rfornal
Staff
Staff

Post by rfornal »

I think there's a distinct possibility that Luigi is actually Louis, particularly since they are listed on the 1920 Census next door to each other. Also, it look like Louis and wife Julia were in Pennsylvania for until at least 9 years ago ... look at the location for the children.

It might be interesting to see previous census from PA or KS for Louis ...
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

"Louis" is the American version of "Luigi".....most immigrants took on a more Americanized version of their name.
wldspirit
rfornal
Staff
Staff

Post by rfornal »

It looks like Salvatore was in the Third Draft Registration ...
During World War I there were three registrations. The first, on June 5, 1917, was for all men between the ages of 21 and 31. The second, on June 5, 1918, registered those who attained age 21 after June 5, 1917. (A supplemental registration was held on August 24, 1918, for those becoming 21 years old after June 5, 1918. This was included in the second registration.) The third registration was held on September 12, 1918, for men age 18 through 45.
... HERE

... it is possible that the date of birth is off ... if you nottice, the registration date is Sept 12, 1918 which is the date that the Third Registration is authorized ... the were probably busy, and/or distracted more than usual.
mental_limit

Post by mental_limit »

rfornal - I am thinking that Louis and Luigi are maybe the same person...some questions DO remain though, on the 1920 census Louis is 44 years old and it says his year of immigration is 1909. Where if the Ellis Island document is correct would be hard to be a match because it was in 1901 and Louis would not have been here yet. Arggghhhh so close!

And Louis and Julia living in Penn up until 9 years ago would be next to impossible as they would be 110+ years old?! More likely is the 1930 census I found listing Louis in Iowa. It has a "D" under Marrige status. And is listed as a Coal Miner, which matches the 1920 Kansas one.

Back to the Ellis island doc. for a sec...could Louis/Lugui have been in the US in 1901 to meet my great grandfather but have a 1909 immigration date?
rfornal
Staff
Staff

Post by rfornal »

1901/1909 might have a simple solution ... he may have come to the US prior to 1909 and been Naturalized (made a citizen) in 1909 ... been in the country for several years prior to that time.
And Louis and Julia living in Penn up until 9 years ago would be next to impossible as they would be 110+ years old?! More likely is the 1930 census I found listing Louis in Iowa. It has a "D" under Marrige status. And is listed as a Coal Miner, which matches the 1920 Kansas one.
I think there was a mis-communication here ... I was saything that they might have lived in Pennsylvania until 9 years prior to the 1920 census (the first two children were born in Penna and last child, 9 years during census, was born in KS) ... not 9 years prior to today ...
mental_limit

Post by mental_limit »

LOL...sorry. Huge miscommunication. But that is something I will definitly check out, If that is correct it would make more sense because the Ellis Island doc. has a listing for destination of Old Forge Lack(awanna) I am assuming the last part of that, but that is in Penn.
rfornal
Staff
Staff

Post by rfornal »

They were good at abbreviations ...

No problem on the communication ... spend enough time here and you'll see better and worse ...
mental_limit

Post by mental_limit »

OK...I found a Luigi Minelli arriving May 6, 1901. Salvatori Minelli arrived July 28 1901 and met up with brother Luigi. Both were on same ship (different trips) same port of departure. It all makes sense now...of course! :wink:

Now..can someone help me with the next piece of the pie...

For the last residence listed on each I have Sigello and Asch...help!

Also it looks like Louis and Julia were married in the old country...how would I go about looking for that record? What are my chances that it exists? I am hoping for his father and mothers names which would be my Great Great Grandparents! :D