Name Origins

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mlaneokc

Name Origins

Post by mlaneokc »

Can anyone explain the implications of de of De in the surname. My family's last name is DeGiusti. I am having difficulty finding information prior to 1865 and wondered if perhaps the name could have been a variation of this form ie Giusti, Giustian, Giustio. Any help anyone may have is definately appreciated.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Name Origins

Post by wldspirit »

The preposition of DI, DE, DEI OR DEL: often precedes the group of surnames that originated from personal names.
These translate as "of" or "from".
wldspirit
Graffeo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Graffeo »

mlaneokc wrote:Can anyone explain the implications of de of De in the surname. My family's last name is DeGiusti. I am having difficulty finding information prior to 1865 and wondered if perhaps the name could have been a variation of this form ie Giusti, Giustian, Giustio. Any help anyone may have is definately appreciated.

I bet Giustian is not the a right name variation because Italian names always end in a vowel. I bet the correct spelling is Giusti. When i type Giusti into google I get almost 5 million returns!!! And looky here at what I found in the Catholic Encyclopedia:

Did you know about Giuseppe Giusti, "A poet and patriot; b. 1809, at Monsumano near Pescia, Italy; d. 31 March, 1850, at Florence. He received his early training under a private tutor and in an academy at Florence." http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/06574a.htm
Graffeo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Graffeo »

Also have you been here"

http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... 43,GGLJ:en

type your surname in to the search box.
mlaneokc

Post by mlaneokc »

Thanks, I'll give it a try.
mlaneokc

Post by mlaneokc »

Any Idea how a surname would change from de Giusto to de Giusti in one generation? The father's last name is listed as de Giusto and the son's name is de Giusti.