Family Radicchi

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
peter.kanetsky

Family Radicchi

Post by peter.kanetsky »

Hello all, just new to site and was browsing some past items. So nice to see the interest.

I'm beginning to research my Radicchi roots. Info that I have so far:

1887: to NYC from Livorno. Mother (Santa .. Santina in later documents) with 3 sons: Ezio, [Ernesto] Oreste, and Alfredo.

1900 census: Ernesto [Oreste] and wife Josephine (Guiseppa Bergna from Cantu), Santina (mother), and two children Peter and Alfred (my grandfather). Here it states that Santina had 6 children, 5 of whom were living -- hence, siblings and husband (name unknown) stayed in Italy.

I just ordered what I believe is Ezio's marriage certificate (NYC 1899) which should state his father name.

Main question: how to best uncover other siblings of Oreste and father's name (in case marriage certificate fails). I also have other census and draft information, as per Ancestry.com, but information not directly pertinent to this question.

Thanks in advance for any bits of direction.
Peter
eyetalgal
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Family Radicchi

Post by eyetalgal »

LDS info:

EZIO RADICCHI
father PIETRO RADICCHI
mother SANTA RICOMENI

married PAOLINA BERTOLINO
date 4/18/1889 Manhattan, NY
parents CARLO BERTOLINO & PAOLA APARTA
peter.kanetsky

Post by peter.kanetsky »

Big thanks eyetalgal!

Looks like I can expect a certified NYC marriage certificate in the mail with relevant family information.

Now perhaps I can get to work on determining the names of the family that remained in Italy and narrowing down the town/city of residence.

Peter
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi Peter,

I would recommend obtaining Peter's & Alfred's ( & other children?) birth records. Also, death records & church records are good sources for the town of origin information, which you need to trace the family in Italy.

Hope this helps.

jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

For reference only.

1900 United States Federal Census
about Ernest Radicchi
Name: Ernest Radicchi
Home in 1900: Bergenfield, Bergen, New Jersey
Estimated birth year: abt 1869
Birthplace: Italy
Relationship to head-of-house: Head
Spouse's name: Josephine
Mother's name: Santina
Race: White
Immigration year: 1888
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Ernest Radicchi 31
Josephine Radicchi 29
Peter Radicchi 7
Alfred Radicchi 3
Santina Radicchi 66
August Wilkesman 25

page 1

http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/2280 ... pg1by2.jpg

page 2

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/7306 ... pg2up3.jpg

jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
eyetalgal
Veteran
Veteran

Post by eyetalgal »

Have you tried to get Alfred's naturalization cert. I would think it would contain more info. This could be him.

Surname Given Name Volume Page Petition Number
Radicchi Alfred 122 114 30364

Possible date
7/21/1922 Bronx County - this refers to Alfred Radicchi living at 777 East 169th Street in the Bronx.
peter.kanetsky

Post by peter.kanetsky »

jcsm400 and eyetalgal --

thanks for your responses and input.

jcsm400: indeed you included as reference the 1900 Census for the Radicchi family, including Alfred (my grandfather, age 3), his brother Peter, his father Ernesto, and mother Josephine (Guiseppa). As eyetalgal suggested, I have tried to write to a couple of places in NJ to track down the Naturalization record of Ernesto, who had his citizenship by 1900. I know my grandfather was born in Jersey City, so on my short list it to correspond with the Hudson County Clerk office to see if they hold his records. The Bergen County office did not find anything.

eyetalgal: as far as Alfred Naturalization in 1922 Bronx, NY. I assume this could be Ernesto's brother, Alfredo who immigrated with him in 1887. Based on Census records, Alfredo was not a citizen in 1900, but in 1930 (the only other Census record I could find for him), he was naturalized .. so, yes .. it could be a match and I will have to follow up.

Again, thank you for your posts .. the more information the better. As I find out more, I'll sure I'll have more questions specifically on working with Italian records.

On an aside, one interesting thing about the 1887 Radicchi passage from Livorno was that the 4 (Santa, Ezio, Oreste, and Alfredo) are the only ones listed on the manifest. The ship was the Australia. Was this typical of late-1800 Italian emigration?

Best .. Peter