Miogliotta Mystery- Crawford County Ohio

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
pacjr

Miogliotta Mystery- Crawford County Ohio

Post by pacjr »

I am currently using Ancestry along with Ellis Island records for all my searches. I had tons of sites I used to use when I started all this family tree business for my own family a few years back but lost it in a computer crash, oops.
Anyway, I am back after the amazing works I find on this site. Thanks again for help with my Giamo case which is a stale ate so far but not finished there yet. I am just currently redirected to keep things exciting.

The family name I am looking for is Miogliotta. Now there are tons with many names that are similar. I can tell you that I did find the Correct family in a 1930 Census.
Mary Mallette, age 41, widow, born in Italy, as well as her parents.
Tindne age 19 born in Ohio
Anthony age 18 Ohio
Joseph age 14 (BF's grandfather)
Minnie age 12
Antoinette 11
Rosemary 9
Antonie Miragliotta age 16, Nephew.
>> Family lived at 116 Lincoln Ave. in Crestline OH
Through research (hours of it) the Father of these children and husband is Michael Angelo Miogliotta. Now, I do not know the name this man was actually born to because I have copies of a few birth certificates of his children and his last name varies. The Mallette listed on this census may be a typo because Joseph (age 14) was known in later life as Joseph J Mallotto. He was born as Joseph Guiseppe Miogliotta and his father is listed on the certificate (which I have certified copy of) as Michael Angelo Miogliotta and the mother as being Marie Ferrar. Joseph was born April 27 1915 and his father was 38 years old and his mother 26. Michael was a laborer on the railroad and the mother a housewife.
I cannot find an earlier census than 1930. I can tell you that they lived in Crawford county most all their lives except the children.

Antoinette (according to her birth certificate) is listed as Antonia Mirgliotta, Father's name listed as the same last name. NOTICE THE SPELLING CHANGE?
Later it changes to Miragliota.
Tindne was born handicapp and died of third degree burns at age 32. Her name is also changed TOTALLY according to the newspaper article I have on her death. She is listed as Mary Tiny Mallatto. At that point the Mother (the widow) is listed as Mrs. Mary Faranda. She may or may not have remarried, not sure. I cannot find a death record on her or a record of her immigration here. According to the 1930 Census she seems to have a lapse of memory.
Now as the story goes, Michael was running from something or someone thats the supposed reason for the changing of names. Obviously that was easy until everyone had to have a social security number in order to work. Since all the children were born here Michael and Mary had to be here by the time their first child was born. The first child was born April 18 1909 in Crestline. Michael was born 1887 and Mary 1889. There has to be at least a 1920 census and I cannot find it.
Oh, the Tindne listed in the 1930 census also listed as Mary Tiny Mallotto in the newspaper is actually listed as Mary T malatio on her death record. Her death is listed as Dec 3 1941 in Crawford which aligns with the newspaper article. Once again, whats with the names? There were no other deaths during the time period in which she died.
I am told that Michael was French Italian and supposedly bootlegging, whatever that means.
My question is what else can I do to find out this Michaels real name so I can find his ship record, manifest or something. The same for their mother? I have more "real" documents on this family than any other and it has the most mysteries.

TIA
Sue
In order to know where you're going you have to know where you've been.
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Miogliotta Mystery- Crawford County Ohio

Post by jcsm400 »

Possible 1910?

Maria Miragholta
Name: Maria Miragholta
Age in 1910: 23
Estimated birth year: abt 1887
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Wife
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Spouse's name: Michelangelo
Home in 1910: Jackson, Crawford, Ohio
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Year of Immigration: 1909
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Michelangelo Miragholta 33
Maria Miragholta 23
Antonio Miragholta 27
Antonio Faranda 18
Gaetano Galati 25
Salvatore Agnello 25
Kuinbalo Sitinucci 27
Battista Gaveralla 17
Salvatore D Bocco 19

ADDED:

http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/8483 ... 910db8.jpg

:) jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi Sue,

Found this WWI draft card......Did they live at 116 Lincoln, Crestline?
Find it interesting because nearest relative is Maria Firanda Mirotta at same address.

World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918
about Mike Angelo Mirotta
Name: Mike Angelo Mirotta
City: Not Stated
County: Crawford
State: Ohio
Birth Date: 8 Sep 1876 (Added:Sicily/Italy)
Race: White
Roll: 1832066

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/8363 ... wwivg9.jpg

jcsm
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Possible manifest? Arrived 4/11/1904

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Michelaugel Miraghilla
Name: Michelaugel Miraghilla
Estimated birth year: abt 1877
Port of Departure: Napoli
Ethnicity/Race/Nationality: Italian (South) (Italian)
Ship Name: Marco Minghetti
Search Ship Database: Search the Marco Minghetti in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Line: 9
Microfilm Serial: 15
Microfilm Roll: T715_445
Page Number: 56

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/2950 ... estgw5.jpg

Will appreciate feedback on posted records.

Thanks,

Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

New York Passenger Lists on Ancestry.com lists a Michelangelo Miragliotta on the Campania arriving New York on 8 May 1907 with destination as Crestline OH to cousin Antonio Miragliotta. I cannot determine the last place of residence in Italy (Piraino?). Perhaps someone with more experience at deciphering the handwriting on these documents can help. His listing is on line 25. On lines 20 and 21 there are two other Miragliottas from the same town, both with first name Giuseppe, probably cousins, also going to Crestline OH to cousin Antonio Miragliotta. Hope this helps.

JB
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Here is JB's manifest find. Glad to see a new member joining in!

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/9767 ... 907qy5.jpg

jcsm
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

jcsm,

Glad to join the party!

Thanks for posting the link to the image. If my deciphering of last residence as Piraino is correct, there's a Piraino in Sicily which would match the birth place info (Sicily) on Michelangelo's WWI Draft Registration card. In checking the 8 May 1907 Campania manifest more closely, there's another Michelangelo Miagliotta from Piraino on line 28 going to Marion OH to join his brother-in-law (?) Carmelo Miagliotta. Two Giuseppe Miagliottas and two Michelangelo Miagliottas on the same page!!
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

JB,

Now don't you go counting the chickens before the eggs hatch!.....All records need to be verified. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hope Sue gives us some feedback, soon.

pacjr

Post by pacjr »

I was just checking back after coming home from work. This board is amazing. I knew that I would need help. I tried so many different name forms.
I can tell you that family still lives in Marion, Crestline, Upper Sandusky area. I will verify all this and get back.
The family did live at 116 Lincoln in Crestline. Joseph and his wife (BF's grandparents) lived there when their family was young also. Urban Renewal came in and the homes are gone now.
I am so excited to have new leads I cannot wait to start cross referencing. BF and I plan to go down home and check tax records, property records etc.

This is great!
Thanks so very much with the leads to my mystery. :D
In order to know where you're going you have to know where you've been.
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi Sue,

Glad we were able to provide some new leads.

Look forward to hearing from you.

jcsm