Rivoli, Torino, Italy

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
marytrando

Rivoli, Torino, Italy

Post by marytrando »

My grandmother was born in Rivoli, Torino, Italy. Is this a big town that would have more than one church. I'm trying to locate the church so that I can get a baptismal record for her.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Rivoli's Parishes

Post by suanj »

Hi. the Rivoli's parishes

Parrocchia Santa Maria della Stella - via Fratelli Piol, 44 - 10098 Rivoli (To)-Italy
tel. +39 011.958.64.79

Parrocchia Beata Vergine delle Grazie - piazza Santa Maria (Tetti Neirotti) - 10098 Rivoli (To)-Italy
tel. +39 011.959.13.17

Parrocchia San Bartolomeo Apostolo - via Roma, 149 - tel. 011.958.02.45

Parrocchia San Bernardo Abate - viale Beltramo, 2 - 10098 Rivoli (To)-Italy -
tel. +39 011 958.49.50

Parrocchia San Giovanni Bosco - viale Carrù, 9 (Cascine Vica) -10098 Rivoli (To)-Italy
tel. + 39 011.959.24.87

Parrocchia San Martino Vescovo - via San Martino, 3 -10098 Rivoli (To)-Italy-
tel. + 39 011.958.79.10

Parrocchia San Paolo Apostolo - via San Paolo, 4 (Cascine Vica) - 10098 Rivoli (To)-Italy-
tel. +39 011.959.85.72

Chiesa di San Rocco - Piazza San Rocco -10098 Rivoli (To)-Italy

regards, :lol: suanj
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

The mormon church people suggest $15.00 for documents from churches since priests have to stop and do the checking or hire someone to do it. Peter
marytrando

Post by marytrando »

Thank you very much for your help.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Don't forget to write in Italian too! (I guess the thanks were for the Two of us). Peter and Suanji
regina
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Rivoli, Torino, Italy

Post by regina »

Records for parishes in the Diocese of Torino are available on microfilm through Family History Centers (FHC). These records cover baptisms, marriages and deaths for the period 1823 to 1899.

Also available on microfilm from any FHC are civil vital records for Rivoli. These records include births, banns, marriage and deaths for 1866 to 1929.

There are real advantages to using the microfilms rather than writing to Italy. It is quicker to get the records. If you live in the USA, the microfilms usually arrive within 3-4 weeks of your order. Secondly, with the microfilms, you can look through the records for relatives of your grandmother.

Good luck with your research.

Regina Gualco
Northern Italy Genealogy Discussion List
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ItalyNW/
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

provided you can read italian script and have good eyes on poorly lit microfilm machines and you bring along a magnifying glass. It also helps if you can understand italian when you read it. This does not mean that your suggestion is not a worthy one as I suggest the FHL microfilms on occcasions when I deem it appropriate. I just feel people should be able to weigh the advantages and disadvantages of a good thing. Peter
regina
Rookie
Rookie

Post by regina »

Actually, you have reminded me of another advantage of using microfilms -- you can view the entire, original record. When requesting records from a parish or vital records office, you often receive extracts of the original record which may not include all of the details of interest to a genealogist.

As far as "poorly lit microfilm", I believe all Family History Centers have microfilm copiers which allow you to adjust the sharpness and contrast of a record before making a paper copy.

Your message also reminds me that I forgot to mention Lyn Nelson's book "Discovering Your Italian Ancestors", which I found invaluable in deciphering the script and the language of the records.

Regards,
Regina
Northern Italy Genealogy Discussion List
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/italynw/
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

...and don't forget the Italian genealogical records by Traffor R. Cole which also is instructive and an easy read. I think it is wonderful that there are two options available to people who wish to write directly for a single record and those who wish to avail themselves of microfilms of entire records which, hopefully, they can read with or without a maginfying glass. Peter