Locating a town in sicily

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
gzepe

Locating a town in sicily

Post by gzepe »

I am searching for my grand fathers birth place to complete my Italian citezenship application My Aunt only remebers something to the effect of casa benjanni I have tried the search application on this web site and the hits are in NW Italy. His Death and marrige certificates only state Italy as I have come to know that he had fled Italy becuse he killed someone who was inappropriate with his mother ,any guesses?
gzepe
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Locating a town in sicily

Post by wldspirit »

May be an overly obvious question..... :) , but have you tried to locate a ship manifest which may reveal the exact town name??

Depending on year, it may be possible to locate other records which could also lead to the town name......

wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
gzepe

Post by gzepe »

wldspirit wrote:May be an overly obvious question..... ) , but have you tried to locate a ship manifest which may reveal the exact town name??

Depending on year, it may be possible to locate other records which could also lead to the town name......

wldspirit
Hi
I have located a ships manifest ,with my great grandfather name my grandfather ,I think was a stowaway on the same ship, they both had the same name .I understand my grandfather killed a man protecting his motheres honor and fled Italy and the last town of residence on the manifest is the letters Gaste...estrano the three dots are indecernable letters, it was 1902, they left from Naples but are sicilian. My Aunt remebers the pronouciation as Gosbenganni. none of the other records , death marrige etc show the town I think becuse he was afraid of being discovered. Perhaps an unsolved murder in 1902, perhaps a warrant , I am that desperate any other suggestions?
gzepe
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Is this the manifest?
2 Apr 1902 SS Liguria Naples to NY, Line 24
Giovanni Ganci
Thanks, vj
1902 Manifest
Blow-up of town name