In search of Mecca/Telesca hopefully from Avigliano, Potenza

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
BillAng

In search of Mecca/Telesca hopefully from Avigliano, Potenza

Post by BillAng »

I am assisting my wife in her quest of obtaining her Italian citizenship. We have obtained the following information:

Grandfather: Antonio Mecca, supposedly born April 1, 1880.
Grandmother: Angela Maria Telesca supposedly born August 18, 1887.

I found their arrival to the US on a ship’s manifest that landed in New York on May 13, 1905. At that time, they had a small child listed as Maria who was 2 months old. (She was to die later at age 16). The ship’s manifest listed their hometown as Avigliano, Italy and they traveled to and lived their lives out in Dunmore Pennsylvania. I am assuming they were married in Avigliano in 1903 or 1904. I make this assumption based on the age of Angela and the baby in 1905.

I have researched the films and records at the LDS family history center with out much luck. Antonio has steadfastly stuck with his birth date in 1880. Angela’s (sometimes listed as Angeline or Angelina) birth date is a moving target. Her age changes with each different census or document. I guess that is a women’s prerogative. The birth records are extremely hard to read and to date I have not found a birth record for either person. I am hoping to find more definitive birth information on their marriage documents and work backwards from there.

Since I am having such difficulties with the civil records, I am hoping to find some information through the church. Does anyone know how to go about researching the church records and can I write directly to them (after translation, of course)? Is there a central records keeping office for the churches in the Avigliano area?

I would appreciate any assistance.

;
Biff83
Master
Master

Re: In search of Mecca/Telesca hopefully from Avigliano, Pot

Post by Biff83 »

Possible source for church records.

http://members.cox.net/micron65/avig_add.html
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
BillAng

Post by BillAng »

Thank you for the quick reply.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

BillAng wrote:I am assisting my wife in her quest of obtaining her Italian citizenship. We have obtained the following information:

Grandfather: Antonio Mecca, supposedly born April 1, 1880.
Grandmother: Angela Maria Telesca supposedly born August 18, 1887.

I found their arrival to the US on a ship’s manifest that landed in New York on May 13, 1905. At that time, they had a small child listed as Maria who was 2 months old. (She was to die later at age 16). The ship’s manifest listed their hometown as Avigliano, Italy and they traveled to and lived their lives out in Dunmore Pennsylvania. I am assuming they were married in Avigliano in 1903 or 1904. I make this assumption based on the age of Angela and the baby in 1905.

I have researched the films and records at the LDS family history center with out much luck. Antonio has steadfastly stuck with his birth date in 1880. Angela’s (sometimes listed as Angeline or Angelina) birth date is a moving target. Her age changes with each different census or document. I guess that is a women’s prerogative. The birth records are extremely hard to read and to date I have not found a birth record for either person. I am hoping to find more definitive birth information on their marriage documents and work backwards from there.

Since I am having such difficulties with the civil records, I am hoping to find some information through the church. Does anyone know how to go about researching the church records and can I write directly to them (after translation, of course)? Is there a central records keeping office for the churches in the Avigliano area?

I would appreciate any assistance.

;
from ship's manifest seems that Antonio born in 1876 and Angela in 1886... normally on the ship's manifest the age is many accurate... suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

in the ship's manifest it are that the daughter, Maria, declared in transit and joining the brother Leonardo Mecca.. so another child born in the marriage, and they could be married some year before of 1905... suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

BillAng wrote:Thank you for the quick reply.
You're welcome. My paternal grandmother, paternal grandfather and his brothers emigrated and lived in the Scranton/Carbondale area. My maternal grandparents emigrated to Wilkes Barre. Always happy to help another Coal Cracker.
BillAng

Post by BillAng »

Suanj,

Thank you for the quick reply. I am still not sure of the birth dates based on the manifest. The handwriting is very difficult to decifer. The last digit does look like a nine but could in fact be a five in fancy script. Every other document shows Antonio being born in 1880. I will recheck the birth records on the years that you recommend. Also, I am fairly confident that Maria was their first child ( based on family oral history ) and that the Leonardo mentioned in the manifest is the brother of Antonio who left Italy ahead of Antonio - Bill
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

..... well in the ship's manifest it seems that maria joining Leonardo.. but could be a error.. the age is correct on the ship's manifest, because the age is wrote in Italy by passport and cannot be mistaken.... regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
BillAng

Post by BillAng »

Suanj,

Thanks for the imput. I will head back to the LDS center and research the birth years again. I will also contact you by PM at your website.

Regards,

Bill
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi Bill,

Have you obtained their death records? Birth & baptismal records for their children born in the States? These may provide town of origin (which is not always the same as "last residence") & their parents' names.

Hope this helps.

:) jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Antonio Mecca Birth Year

Although we don't have an official document, if 1880 wasn't Antonio's birth year, he was consistent is using it when he supplied information in the states.

WWI Draft Registration Card

http://img239.imageshack.us/img239/9040/wwimeccark8.jpg

WW II Draft Registration Card

http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/6845 ... ccakn1.jpg

1920 Census (states alien)

http://img239.imageshack.us/img239/2796 ... ccarb6.jpg

1930 Census (states naturalized, no year given). Year of marriage calculates to about 1903 so Leonardo could not have been his son/Maria's brother; probably Antonio's brother.

http://img239.imageshack.us/img239/7792 ... ccapx0.jpg

Still looking for 1910 Census record.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

in Antonio ship's manifest on Maria baby .. the brother Mecca Leonardo, but after it are GALASSO Carminella joining husband Mecca Leonardo ... so on Maria baby it are a error.. well a good point to know that it is possible that antonio had a brother Leonardo named......... suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

it is possible for someone look up this 1910 census..? I believe this could be Leonardo... but I don't see carminella wife only Maria J. wife and the daughters(Lucy and Rosa) both borns in USA ... thanks

Senardo Messa name Dunmore Ward 2, Lackawanna, PA abt 1881 Italy
and this:

World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918
Military
View Image Name: Leonardo Mecca
Birth: date
Residence: city, Lackawanna, Pennsylvania
Other: location
----
maybe helpful.................

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Suanj's 1910 census. Several Mecca families on the page......parents & married sons?

1910 United States Federal Census

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/503/mecca1910rg1.jpg

Name: Senardo Messa
[Lenardo Mecca]
Age in 1910: 29
Estimated birth year: abt 1881
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Spouse's name: Maria J
Home in 1910: Dunmore Ward 2, Lackawanna, Pennsylvania
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Year of Immigration: 1902
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Senardo Messa 29
Maria J Messa 24
Rosa Messa 2
Joseph Mecca 11/12

WWI draft card - Leaonardo Mecca

http://img457.imageshack.us/img457/3072 ... rdosk0.jpg
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi biff, this draft card is right brother of Antonio, Carminella wife listed(Carminella Galasso in travel with Antonio) the birthdate is the same that Antonio declared in so much documents in USA( but in draft card " don't remember 1880) April? 1880.. however for sure this is the brother ...on ship's manifest antonio age 29 in 1905 maybe the older son.. I want to search the ship's manifest of Leonardo but no luck until this moment... the census I believe is no right because the wife Maria J.. imm. in 1907.. the search continue.................... thanks, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH