Cioletti

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
wee3babies

Cioletti

Post by wee3babies »

Dear All:

My grandfather is from Pistoia (Piteglio) in Tuscany, Italy. His name was Amosse Cioletti. How would I go about finding his parents' identities? Also, is there anyone here who has information on the Cioletti name?

Thanks,
Ed
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

This depends upon his birth year. Northern Italy established civil records after unificiation in 1872 while Southern Italy as Kingdom of the Two Sicilies had civil records dating back to 1803. All records prior to 1872 are in churches in Northern Italy except for some communities either by foreign domination or some other reason instituted civil records individually. You will have to go to the www,comuni.it and ask the town in question how far back their civil records go back to. As for information on the surname, do you mean the name it self or the name as it relates to a family. Perhaps because I am familiar with Italian surnames just on the basis of their history and nothing to do with any persons on a direct basis. Peter
wee3babies

Cioletti

Post by wee3babies »

Dear Peter:

Thank you for the reply. My grandfather came to the USA in 1912 through Ellis Island. He was born in 1895. I guess that he was born in Pistoia as his Ellis Island Record lists his place of residence as Piteglio. If I wrote to the town in Italy, I would only be able to use English. Would they understand it OK? Is the web page that you referred me to available in English?
Again, thank you for your time in replying.

Ed
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

You can write to Ufficio di Stao Civile, Comue di Piteglio, Postale 51020, Provincia Pistpia, Toscana, Italy. Send form letter from ww.circolocalabrese.org/resoucres/letters/index.asp with a self addressed envelope and postal coupons for $5.00 Euros. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Cioletti is a local surname since it does not appear in the italian surname dictionary. Its meaning is lost in the mists of time. if you wish to contact any cioletti who may be residing in Piteglio go to www.paginebianche.it and put in cioletti in the first line and tythe town in the third line and click cerca for any persons in Piteglio with the cioletti surname. Peter