need help with getting info beyond grandparents

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
lind

need help with getting info beyond grandparents

Post by lind »

i am trying to create a long line family tree but it seems my parents have no recollection of who their grandparents were. the info i am working with is family last names which are tozzi and iorio (previously di iorio) both orginally from civitacampomarano in molise, italy. what's my next step?
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: need help with getting info beyond grandparents

Post by nuccia »

First step is to start with what you know and work backwards. My father doesn't remember who is grandparents were either so I had to order the microfilms from my grandfathers town with his birth act on it and I was able to find his parents names that way.

If you would like to post some of the specifics of your families info here, we can try to help.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
lind

Post by lind »

thanks so much...this website is great and very helpful. i'll find out more info and post it as soon as i get it...thanks again
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hi!
Sometimes just the smallest clue can help.
Do you have any locations in the US or Canada for
your "family last names which are tozzi and iorio
(previously di iorio)"

Thanks! vj
lind

Post by lind »

I've gathered some info on my gparents....bare with me!
1. my dads set of parents - Amodeo Tozzi B:may 26/1910 married Anna DiNinno D:1937(in town) both born in Civitacampomarano. my gfather, dad & uncle eventually left to live in Belgium for a few years before coming to Toronto, my grandfather died here.
2. my moms set of parents - Agostino Iorio B: may 2/1912-1913 married Lucia DeMarinis D:dec 23/44(in town). my gfathers parents were Luigi DiIorio (the name was changed when he moved from a neighbouring town to Civitacampomarano) and Albertina DiNinno.
They both came to Canada minus my gmothers via Halifax in the 1950's.
Also DiNinno and DeMarinis are very popular last names amongst the town even to this day. Tozzi not so much!
Thanks again for your responses and gratefulness to help,
Linda
lind

Post by lind »

Why doesn't Canada have passenger lists posted to the extent of the Ellis Island ones? Or am I not searching properly?
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi Lin,

To trace family from Civitacampomarono, you can order/rent the FHL films for this town's civil registrations (birth, marriage, & death acts). They cover the years 1809-1915. Here is a link to the available films.>

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... ato+civile++

If you need additional information on obtaining these films, please let us know.

If you prefer to write or need records that are not covered by the films, you can write to:

Ufficio di Stato Civile
Piazza Municipio, 13
86030 Civitacampomarano (CB)
ITALY
Phone Number: (+39) 0874-748103; Fax: (+39) 0874-748335

Requests should be in Italian & include a copy of your photo ID, a self addressed return envelope & several international reply coupons. These can be obtain from your main post office & cover the cost of the return postage.

Here are some interactive form letters.

http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... /index.asp

Hope this helps.

jcsm
PS. Because the Canadian archives want the income?
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

lind wrote:Why doesn't Canada have passenger lists posted to the extent of the Ellis Island ones? Or am I not searching properly?
The Ellis Island records went on line as a result of PRIVATE donations. Not public. This along with help from the Family History Library.

The cost of such a project is enormous, and unless there is a push from the private sectors, government will not spend the money on something they feel is not necessary. Now that there is issue of release of "private" records....I know these are so far back....there is less likely for the government to do it. Remember, they want to reduce access to census data for privacy reasons....

This is just an opinion, but think it might be valid........
lind

Post by lind »

Thanks so much for your responses....
JCSM400, your info is great help, what would you recommend writing to the town and waiting for an answer or renting the LDS mircofiche? How would I order/rent them if i decide so?
ESSGEE, info i did not know or have not read elsewhere, thanks so much, it now makes sense.
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

If you have the time to do the research yourself, I really recommend the films. Through the films, you can trace direct & indirect lines & by tracing indirect may even (I did) get additional records for your direct line.

The films can be ordered through your local Family History Center (FHC).
To locate your nearest Center>

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... et_fhc.asp

Additional information on obtaining these films.>

http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... =2581.html

I also recommend (especially if you are like me & don't know Italian) that you purchase the Italian-English Genealogical Word List available at your FHC. It will help with basic translation of the records. If you need further help with some records, just post them. Someone will help.

jcsm
PS. Good answer, Essgee!
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Or you can use this site to give you the translation to the basic Acts found in the microfilms...

http://www.comunesofitaly.org/Links/RuthNerud.htm

I printed them out and they really do help!

Just as a side note...my brother in law went on a trip the other day and decided to call me. Seems he went to Halifax for business and his hotel room was overlooking Pier 21. For those of you who don't know, it was a very popular Canadian Port in the 1960's. My mom came through there and while there is some info available online, it in no way compares to the American records. Now, my father, who arrived in Canada in the 1950's went through the New York Passenger Port and then took a train to Canada as did several of my relatives. If your ancestor arrived prior to 1960 I would try looking through the New York Passenger Lists first.

By the way..said he was bringing home lots of goodies from Pier 21..I can't wait to see them....I'll post what I can.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database