Kapelari?(probably not orig spell)/Pontebba

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
rockync

Kapelari?(probably not orig spell)/Pontebba

Post by rockync »

I recently found out info about my great grandfather. He was originally from Pontebba but emigrated to Ukraine probably late 1800s or very early 1900s. The spelling has been Kapelari for several generations using the Czech alphabet, but I'm pretty sure that is not the Italian spelling. Political manuveurings and WWII has robbed me of my history, but an elderly family member living in the US has a great memory and wrote down what she can remember. Unfortunately, I don't know his first name. He did have a brother named Rico and named one of his sons Rico so that is probably a family name. My great grandfather worked as a lumberjack and later had a lumber mill and built houses. I am 50 years old and had given up hope of ever learning about my family but this new information gives me a few new pieces to the puzzle. Can someone help me find out how to trace my family from here?
Thank you
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Kapelari?(probably not orig spell)/Pontebba

Post by wldspirit »

Not that this manifest is related to you.....but providing this link as an example....

A CAPELLARO from Pontebba.....
http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0761%2ETIF

Also, the spelling of CAPELLARI is quite common......

wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Using the following site, which list the top ten most common names for Pontebba, the surname of CAPELLARO is listed, and using the surname search feature at the bottom of the page, the surname spelling of CAPPELLARI appears, but not CAPELLARI.

http://friuliveneziagiulia.indettaglio. ... e=Pontebba

wldspirit

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

There is an "Americo Cappellari" coming from Udine going to Canada, he leaves his parents in Italy, circa 1909......

If you can provide more info on the family here in the states, first name, spouse and children.....as well as the state in which they lived.......members may be able to locate records to take you further back
and direct your search.......
wldspirit

jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi Rockync,

Welcome to the forum.

Wldspirit is correct.......If you will provide the information she requested, we can hopefully help you more!

When doing genealogical research, always work backwards. By obtaining, records fo your grandfather, you will get information on your great, grandparents........Have you obtained your grandfather's death record? Ship manifest? Others?

:)
jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
rockync

Post by rockync »

Thank you both of you for the info and for looking into this. Since my family was split apart by WWII and contact was lost with many relatives any info I have is spotty.

The only Kapelari listings in this country are related to me. Thanks to Wldspirit, I now have a spelling that looks promising. I don't know my great grandfather's first name, but I know he came to this country with his son RICO who seems to have stayed in this country. They probably came here around 1910-1911 and lived and worked in GRANITE CITY, IL. My GGF returned to Europe, but my great uncle RICO may have stayed.

My GGF had 11 brothers and sisters and it seems one of those brothers may have worked in the coal mines of PA around the turn of the 20th century. It seems he may have stayed here also.

The next person to come to the US was my father and he was the only one of his siblings to do so. He came after WWII after escaping the communists. Both my grandparents died in the Czech Republic. I am first generation American.

That is about all I know right now although I am in contact with an elderly cousin of my father's who lives in this country and this is all coming from her memory. And you know how falliable that can be, but I do so appreciate anything you find out. I've been waiting a long time.

Thank you

Rocky (despite the "tough" sounding nick, I'm a she)
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

We have a fantastic team here at ItalianGenealogy.......
and we have pulled together and found family with less info..... :wink:
We'll give it our best.......
wldspirit

rockync

Post by rockync »

Thank you Wldspirit, I really appreciate your efforts.

Rocky
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

We do need additional names.....anything we find is a matter of public record......so no need to worry about providing this info.

By answering the following questions, will help us to identify the correct records.......

Your fathers first name, birthyear......
His fathers first name and that of his spouse, along with birthyears.....
and since you don't know the great grandfathers first name, do you have an idea of his birthyear......same for his spouse....and any children you can think of.......

there are quite a few records for the name Cappellari here in the states, and while the ggrandfather changed the spelling, does not mean that the other members of his family did........

wldspirit

rockync

Post by rockync »

Thank you for taking time to do this. It is going to take me some time to get the info, but I'll post it as soon as I have it.

rocky
rockync

Post by rockync »

Getting birthdates will be a challenge, even my own father's birthdate is in question but it occured in the 1920's. His first name was Frantisek and he and my mother came here in the 1950's.

Info on my grandparents is even more elusive.

I will see if anyone remembers my GGF's first name. As I said, I know he was born in Pontebba, Italy probably in the early to mid 1800's and that he emigrated to what is now Tur'i Remety, Ukraine, probably in the mid to late 1800's. That is where my father was born.

GGF and his son RICO spent time in Granite City, IL. probably in the early 1900's.

GGF also had a brother FERDINAND who emigrated to PA around 1908 to 1910 and worked in the coal mines. It appears he stayed, but we have never had contact with any descendants.

I believe they all used the Italian spelling "Cappellari". I don't think that was changed until my grandparents' time perhaps as late as the 1940's.

I will post new info as I get it.

Thanks

rocky
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

I did take a casual look into records last night.......but will look into this more closely later in the day.......with the additional info, I know we will give it our best team effort....... :D
wldspirit

Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

I posted this because of the name on the 1900 manifest.

Infant Lurico Capellari travelling with mother Pasqua, from Udine, to Pittsburgh to join father/husband Giacomo.

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 4096070103
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
rockync

Post by rockync »

That's interesting because it is very similar to the story I was told. My GGF's brother came to PA before his wife and infant daughter joined him in 1911. The name of this great great uncle was supposed to be Ferdinand so the names and dates are a little off, but my information is dependant on a very old woman's memories of stories told over 50 years ago. And I don't really know if the original spelling was Cappellari or Capellari. And who knows if it was spelled correctly in the manifests.

rocky
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

A possibility?

First Name: Elias
Last Name: Kapelari
Ethnicity: Hungary
Last Place of Residence: T. Remete (=Tur'i Remety?)
Date of Arrival: Apr 04, 1903
Age at Arrival: 49y Gender: M Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: Konigin Luise
Port of Departure: Bremen
Manifest Line Number: 0021

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/782/ ... estus9.gif

+ son.

:)
jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.