Rudy Giuliani

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
Gina501
Veteran
Veteran

Rudy Giuliani

Post by Gina501 »

I was just wondering how everyone felt about the real possibility of having an Italian American for President? I am NOT looking for this to be a debate about politics - I could care less if you are a Republican or Democrat. I was just wondering how you felt about Rudy, the man, as President? I think there are a lot of New Yorkers in here that know of him well enough, but I am also curious as to how the rest feel about him?
(Please don't hate me for starting this - I am just curious!)
Biff83
Master
Master

Re: Rudy Giuliani

Post by Biff83 »

Personally, I believe he's one of the better candidates in either party, but I don't believe he'll win the primaries.

I've always thought former New York governor Mario Cuomo would have made a good President. The following is an excerpt from his keynote address from the 1984 Democratic convention which many, if not all, of us can relate to.

"That struggle to live with dignity is the real story of the shining city. And it's a story, ladies and gentlemen, that I didn't read in a book, or learn in a classroom. I saw it and lived it, like many of you. I watched a small man with thick calluses on both his hands work 15 and 16 hours a day. I saw him once literally bleed from the bottoms of his feet, a man who came here uneducated, alone, unable to speak the language, who taught me all I needed to know about faith and hard work by the simple eloquence of his example. I learned about our kind of democracy from my father. And I learned about our obligation to each other from him and from my mother. They asked only for a chance to work and to make the world better for their children, and they -- they asked to be protected in those moments when they would not be able to protect themselves. This nation and this nation's government did that for them.

And that they were able to build a family and live in dignity and see one of their children go from behind their little grocery store in South Jamaica on the other side of the tracks where he was born, to occupy the highest seat, in the greatest State, in the greatest nation, in the only world we would know, is an ineffably beautiful tribute to the democratic process."

If you'd like to hear the entire speech and/or read it, the link follows.

http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeche ... 984dnc.htm
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Gina501
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Gina501 »

Hey Biff, thanks. I read the whole speech. I have chills..... I was only 16 in 1984 and not interested in politics. Thanks for passing that on.
Gina
Searching for surnames Ignazio, Graziano, Trella, Del Principe, Biani, Subrizi, Della Valle

http://ignaziogenealogy.com
MikeSavoca91
Staff
Staff

Post by MikeSavoca91 »

Wow, you could see that he was passionate for his heritage, Cuomo would have been a good president. It would be cool to get an Italian-America in the White House, I don't think that he will make it though. Well we will see soon enough
Gina501
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Gina501 »

Well Mike, I have my fingers crossed here in Texas.
Gina
Searching for surnames Ignazio, Graziano, Trella, Del Principe, Biani, Subrizi, Della Valle

Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Post by Poipuo4 »

Biff, thank you for sharing Mario's words. It is the story of all of our families that came as immigrants and worked hard for a better life. It would be nice to have an Italian in office, but Rudy is not the man for me.

On another topic, you know that wacky astronaut who wore the diapers and stalked that lady? One of the news shows mentioned that she was the first Italian American woman astronaut. Did they REALLY need to mention that????
http://www.celenzaheritage.com

dedicated to the people of Celenza Valfortore, Province of Foggia
Gina501
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Gina501 »

Wow...I'm here in Houston, Texas and I didn't know she was Italian.
Gina

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Poipuo4 wrote:Biff, thank you for sharing Mario's words. It is the story of all of our families that came as immigrants and worked hard for a better life. It would be nice to have an Italian in office, but Rudy is not the man for me.

On another topic, you know that wacky astronaut who wore the diapers and stalked that lady? One of the news shows mentioned that she was the first Italian American woman astronaut. Did they REALLY need to mention that????
I would like to hear more about this. I haven't heard about it at all, but then again, I'm clueless when it comes to any kind of current events. :oops:
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Nuccia, Hope all is well.

Here's a link to a news story. Her maiden name was Caputo.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nati ... 3674.story

Best,
Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Thanks for the link John. I've been wondering about this since I read Poipuo4 post.

Yes, all is well. Thanks for asking! Hope all is well with you, too! :D
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

I like Mario's speech.......but as for Rudy for president? Not sure......
would I like to see an Italian-American president......YES!!!
But I have to base my vote on their record....what do they stand for and how have they backed up those beliefs in their own voting record.......
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."