Ralph Demasi

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
gcanton

Ralph Demasi

Post by gcanton »

I am trying to find information on my great-grandfather's family. There is really no one left on that side of the family to get much information from, but the information I have is that he was born May 19 1896. Some say he was born in Italy in Calabria, but there is also information that says he was born in NY. His name was Ralph, but an uncle said his real name was Raphael. I also tried looking up variations of Demasi, like Dimasi, but to no avail. I don't know his parents names, or any siblings. That's basically all the information I have, any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Greg
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: Ralph Demasi

Post by nuccia »

Hi Greg..

Have you seen this ship manifest? Might be a possibility? Traveling with his brother to NY and from Grotteria or Grotta Cal?

Rafaele Dimasi Manifest

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Raffaele Demasi
Name: Raffaele Demasi
Estimated birth year: abt 1889
17 May 1906
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Ethnicity/Race/Nationality: Italian (South) (Italian)
Ship Name: Madonna
Search Ship Database: Search the Madonna in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Line: 29
Microfilm Serial: T715
Microfilm Roll: T715_711
Page Number: 63

Source Citation: Year: 1906; Microfilm serial: T715; Microfilm roll: T715_711; Line: 29; .
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Just noticed...the year is way off. What is his spouses name or childrens names? This might help us narrow things down a bit since there are a few Raffaele Dimasi's going through the NY ports.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

This is also an interesting 1920 Census..year is close, birthplace is NY..

1920 United States Federal Census
about Ralph DE Maoi
Name: Ralph DE Maoi
[Ralph Demasi]
Home in 1920: Rye, Westchester, New York
Estimated birth year: abt 1897
Birthplace: New York
Relation to Head of House: Servant
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Sex: Male
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Image: 724
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Col Borge DE Mossin 47
Henry Mathew 34
Maria Mathew 27
Noel Mathew 3
Della Lonnon 30
Ralph DE Maoi 23

Source Citation: Year: 1920;Census Place: Rye, Westchester, New York; Roll: T625_1278; Page: 1A; Enumeration District: 168; Image: 724.

He was a chauffeur for a family in Westchester County. Lists wife as Mabel and sons, Robert and Ralph Leroy. If you think it could be him, I'll link the image..
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Is this the correct Ralph Demasi?

Ralph Demasi
SSN: xxx-xx-xxxx
Last Residence: 33308 Fort Lauderdale, Broward, Florida, United States of America
Born: 19 May 1896
Last Benefit: 33308 Fort Lauderdale, Broward, Florida, United States of America
Died: Jan 1979
State (Year) SSN issued: New York (Before 1951 )
Ancestry.com. Social Security Death Index [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2006. Original data: Social Security Administration. Social Security Death Index, Master File. Social Security Administration
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Nice Find Biff...Perhaps Greg should write away for the Social Security Application. If filled out correctly it would show his birthplace and parents names.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Possible Westchester County Marriage Record

Last Name/First Name/Certificate #/Year

DeMasi/ Ralph/23289/1917

http://www.westchestergov.com/wcarchives/

There is also a 1930 Census record for a Ralph De Massi in Rye, Westchester, NY showing occupation as a chauffeur with wife Mabel. Will await verification of previous information before posting details and link.
gcanton

Post by gcanton »

OK, I already have the 1920 census, that is him. His wife was Mabel Bushy. Robert was my grandfather. The SS death index I already have also, and yes that is him. Same goes for the 1930 census. I don't have the marriage record. If possible, can you show it? I appreciate all the help. Thanks again.

Greg
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Greg,

Unfortunately, the Westchester County archives site does not have images available only the details I posted above. Since both the 1920 and 1930 census records show place of birth as New York, he was likely born there. I haven't had any luck finding a 1910 or a 1900 census record to determine his parents names. I would suggest you take Nuccia's suggestion and write for a copy of his Social Security record.

Biff
gcanton

Post by gcanton »

Thank you, I appreciate it. I might take a trip to the archives to see if there's more information on the marriage certificate.
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Greg,

If Ralph and Mabel were married in a church, you might also find additional information in the parish records.

Biff
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Records can be ordered thru the Westchester archives for 15.00 dollars:

http://www.westchestergov.com/wcarchive ... #OrderCopy

wldspirit :wink:

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
gcanton

Post by gcanton »

UPDATE! Searching through Familysearch.org for Ralph and Mabel's son Donal who was killed in WW2, it brought up his death information. His parents are listed as ANTONIO Ralph Demasi and Mabel. I tried searching for more info, maybe as to a census from 1900 or 1910, but still no luck. I don't know if he really went by Antonio at all, seeing as that everything I've gathered has him as Ralph, even in pictures that my grandfather had. But thanks so far to everyone who has helped.
gcanton

Post by gcanton »

Another Update: I managed to get a death certificate for Raffaele (Raphael) Demasi, who is Ralph's father. My mom's uncle had it, and had some good information. But it also opened up more questions. Raphael was born in 1871. He died in 1920. His wife's name was Josephine. Records I have found for a Raffaele Demasi coming to the US thru Canada have his wife as Giuseppina. There are no records of her ever coming here, yet she lived here. There are no records of where Ralph was born, my uncle claims it's Italy, but in some of the census', it's listed as NY. Raffaele's father was Michele Demasi, his mother unknown. Josephine's maiden name is also unknown. I have a lot of information, it just doesn't seem to add up. If anyone can give me a hand, or point me in some direction, I would appreciate it. Thanks.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Does it list Joshephine's (Giuseppa's or Giuseppina) last name? It just may be misspelled.

Do you have ancestry? Were you able to look at the Canadian records? I can try to look something up.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database