Trying to find Demetrio Cardea

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Demetriohunter

Trying to find Demetrio Cardea

Post by Demetriohunter »

Need help finding My Great Grandfather Demetrio Cardea. Spelling of name could be different this is how it was spelled on the ships manifest.
He arrived in US at the age of 18 June 22, 1904 on The Prinz Adalbert Departed from Naples, Destination Phila, Pa to work for the Stetson Hat Company. The Manifest lists him as a Cobbler by trade. For reasons only known to him he would not talk about his life in Italy, never taught any of his children the language we know very little about him before he stepped off the ship.
It says on the Manifest he was from Pellaro, but the family thinks he's from Reggio Calabria. We no his father was a tailor by trade and was possibly blind by the time Demetrio left for US. Demetrio and his father both may have been only children. And I've never been able to come up with a first name for his father or mother.
One thing we do know for certain about his life he was an champion swimmer winning several medals and was hoping to go to the 1904 Olympic Games. He gave up that dream when he was offered the chance to come here.
I haven been able to get anywhere. I just keep hitting dead ends.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: Trying to find Demetrio Cardea

Post by nuccia »

Would this be him in the 1910 census?

1910 Census

1910 United States Federal Census
about Demter Cardea
Name: Demter Cardea
[Demtri Cardea]
Age in 1910: 23
Estimated birth year: abt 1887
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Boarder
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Home in 1910: Philadelphia Ward 17, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Marital Status: Single
Race: White
Year of Immigration: 1904
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Peter Reiner 38
Theresa Reiner 32
Clara Reiner 2
George Yoa 28
Demter Cardea 23

And here are his WW1 Draft Registration Cards:

World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918
about Demetrio C Cardea
Name: Demetrio C Cardea
City: Philadelphia
County: Philadelphia
State: Pennsylvania
Birth Date: 15 Jul 1886
Race: Caucasian (White)
Roll: 1907763
DraftBoard: 40

Source Citation: Registration Location: Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania; Roll: 1907763; Draft Board: 40.

WW1 Draft Info

He was married by this point and working in a hospital as an orderly.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

If this is him, you could try ordering the microfilms from a Family History Centre in your area and attempt locating the birth act. It will provide his parents names.

Heres the link to the records available:

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... umns=*,0,0

For Steps on how to obtain microfilms from a Family History Center, see this post by Trish:

http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... =2581.html
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

He moved to New Jersey prior to 1920. Heres the Census record.

1920 United States Federal Census
about Demetreio Cardea
Name: Demetreio Cardea
[Demitrios Carder]
Home in 1920: Palmyra, Burlington, New Jersey
Estimated birth year: abt 1887
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's name: Bridget
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Sex: Male
Home owned: Own
Year of Immigration: 1905
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Image: 785
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Demetreio Cardea 33
Bridget Cardea 31
Marle R Cardea 6
Domenick Cardea 3 10/12
Anna Cardea 1 8/12

Source Citation: Year: 1920;Census Place: Palmyra, Burlington, New Jersey; Roll: T625_1021; Page: 11B; Enumeration District: 100; Image: 785.

1920 Census

His trade was listed as a hat maker. Their oldest child is 6 so most probably they married around 1913 in Pennsylvania. Maybe tracking down a marriage certificate or death record would give details of his parents names.

You could also just mail away to Italy for his birth record. Standard letter you could use...

http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... /index.asp

Address:

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Comune di Pellaro
89066 PELLARO RC
ITALY
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Demetriohunter

Post by Demetriohunter »

Thank You, Nuccia you manage to do in matter of hours what I haven't been able to get. This is GrandPa. Thank You again.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Demetriohunter wrote:Need help finding My Great Grandfather Demetrio Cardea. Spelling of name could be different this is how it was spelled on the ships manifest.
He arrived in US at the age of 18 June 22, 1904 on The Prinz Adalbert Departed from Naples, Destination Phila, Pa to work for the Stetson Hat Company. The Manifest lists him as a Cobbler by trade. For reasons only known to him he would not talk about his life in Italy, never taught any of his children the language we know very little about him before he stepped off the ship.
It says on the Manifest he was from Pellaro, but the family thinks he's from Reggio Calabria. We no his father was a tailor by trade and was possibly blind by the time Demetrio left for US. Demetrio and his father both may have been only children. And I've never been able to come up with a first name for his father or mother.
One thing we do know for certain about his life he was an champion swimmer winning several medals and was hoping to go to the 1904 Olympic Games. He gave up that dream when he was offered the chance to come here.
I haven been able to get anywhere. I just keep hitting dead ends.
Cardea is the right surname spell; your ancestor was Demetrio E.le( Emanuele) Cardea; last residence Pellaro and from draft registration card by Nuccia, Pellaro is also birthplace;
Now is easy for you: because you know the right name spell; you know the birth date, you know the birthplace; Nuccia friend also provided the LDS link; you can to descover all genealogic tree of your ancestor by ; also you can request the civil records directly in Pellaro that , currently, it is a hamleth of Reggio calabria town) common.
Address:
Ufficio di stato civile
Municipio XV Circoscrizione Pellaro
Via Nazionale, 124
89066 Pellaro (RC)
ITALY
regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Demetriohunter

Post by Demetriohunter »

Thank You suanj, You just cleared another thing I couldn't figure out his middle name looks like Cle on the ships manifest. I didn't know what his middle name was. I've already drafted aletter for the birth certificate hopefully we get somewhere there. When I posted this I prayed the Lord would send me help this time He sent more then I expected
Thank You both God Bless You, Lynn
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Lynn,

You're very welcome. Please, let us know how you make out or if you need anything else. We'll be praying for you, too! :D :D
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Demetriohunter

Post by Demetriohunter »

Hello Nuccia, When I called Mommy yesterday to tell her what you found she laughter and said Ask her how good is her Irish? She was referring to Bridget she had two sister living in Canada one in Montreal One in Quebec, I don't know anything on them but the family does I just haven't looked into them yet I've been so focused on GrandPa. Right now I'm working the Hopitals in Phila and a few other leads to fill in the gaps. Thank You again God Bless Lynn
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Hey Lynn,

We can do Irish! I need the practice anyway. Do you know Bridget's maiden name or her parents names/siblings names? Anything? They just updated Quebec's records and have put them online so I'm game if you are.

Also, you might want to try our sister site for Irish records...

http://irish.genealogyforum.eu/

Same format but specializes in Irish Genealogy. Let us know and give my best to your Mom! :D
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Demetriohunter

Post by Demetriohunter »

Hi Nuccia, Yeah Bridget was a Murphy, She was Sponsored by The Philadelphia Archdiocese to work as a maid then eventually moved up to cook. The 1920 Jersey Census says she came in 1910 but she supposedly came the year after Demetrio in 1905. She was born 1888 or 1889 in Ireland the Family says the name of the town is Dragadah Spelling??? but possible they are talking about Drogheda not sure. My father visited there when he was in the navy in the 50's and got to meet a few relative most were away on holiday when he was there. The only sister of Bridgets I ever met was Aunt Susie. Susan or Susanne Cox she lived in an apartment Riverton New Jersey. Sent this site info to Demetrio's Son I'm hoping he checks it out and can fill in some more names. or the correct name and or spelling for town in Ireland. That may be a few days it's going smail mail. God Bless Lynn
Demetriohunter

Post by Demetriohunter »

Hello
Suanj I needed to ask you a Question You said
your ancestor was Demetrio E.le( Emanuele) Cardea;
Could this E.le (Emanuele) be a Confirmation name? According to my mother the initials on Demetrio's wedding ring are DCC. I don't know a whole lot about the Catholic Church I wasn't raised Catholic but I think I remember something about a name give at Confirmation. The family all thought his middle name was Carmen but that's questionable.
The Hand written ships manifest showing the middle name could be interpreted either way Ele or Cle but the typed version Ellis Island gives you shows it as Cle. But if he was using his Confirmation Name On his Documents that would explain why his initails don't match.
Lynn
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

HI the handwriting is hard for reading, and it could be C.le, but I cannot say what other first name could be... maybe Carmelo? In any case Demetrio had 2 first names... regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

I believe the middle name is a C..the draft cards also have C. as the middle initial..

Ancestry indexed the manifest a bit differently..

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Demetrio Cles Caritea
Name: Demetrio Cles Caritea
Arrival Date: 22 Jun 1904
Estimated birth year: abt 1886
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Ethnicity/Race/Nationality: Italian (South) (Italian)
Ship Name: Prinz Adalbert
Search Ship Database: Search the Prinz Adalbert in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Line: 19
Microfilm Serial: T715
Microfilm Roll: T715_470
Page Number: 29

Source Citation: Year: 1904; Microfilm serial: T715; Microfilm roll: T715_470; Line: 19; .

And a close up of the spelling..maybe others will offer their opinions?

Hope this helps.
(Tell your Mom I'm still keeping Bridget and Susan on the back burner :D )
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi Nuccia.. could be Camillo( C.lo)? or Cirillo(C.lo)? here it are a list of first names starting with "C", for men and women. ...maybe can help.. kisses, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH