Calderone Family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
24tulips

Calderone Family

Post by 24tulips »

Hi! I'm new here (just signed up today)
I am having a lot of trouble with my ancestry.
I am trying to work backwards (from my grandfather) I am not getting much help.. I think maybe my grandfathers family are using their middle names instead of their first names. Which proves to be difficult.
My grandmother doesn't even use her real first name)

This is what I know:
My grandfather is Walter Calderone
he has a brother who my mom calls "Uncle Jimmy" is he maybe JAMES Calderone?

He did have other brothers for sure - I just don't know the names.

My great grandfather dies in the early 1980s (after 1981 - i have a picture of him and myself as a baby)

My great grandfather is Romeo Calderone (unsure if it's his first name)
My great Grandfather's spouse's name is Marx (I don't know if that is a first or last name)

I have been asking my family about everything and I can't get a straight answer....

we had family who were involved with organized crime.

one person in my family was shot in the face in the U.S. (I only know that he opened the door and was killed that way)

We are from Sicily.

truly, thats all I have for sure, and even those details throw me off. I don't have the money to buy a subscription for info on my family from those websites...
anyway, I am sure there has to be a calderone relative on this site.
please help!
thanks for reading

D. Calderone
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: Calderone Family

Post by nuccia »

Welcome to the group! We're here to help. I have some questions for you though..

First of all, when was your grandfather born? What year did him arrive in the US and where did he immigrate to? Could Jimmy be Vincenzo..common change to Jimmy or James. Have you tried using www.ellisisland.org or www.stevemorse.org for ship manifest records? Both are free, just register a username and password and you're off to the races.

Another good site and free...

www.familysearch.org.

Does this help? Will wait for more info from you.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
24tulips

Post by 24tulips »

everyting I wrote is literally all I know.
I don't even know if they were born in canada.
I'll check out those sites.. be back soon

thanks for the quick response!
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

HI and welcome to the forum.

I am not trying to be rude, but we can't find information if you don't know the names.

I suggest you start with the basics. Do you have your birth certificate? Your parents? YOur grandparents? Marriage and death records? Start sending away for any records you do not have.

Ancestry.com is available at many libraries for use without any $$$. See if you can find your ancestors on a census.

Debbie

Sorry, I was toooo slow. No one had responded when I started to answer.
24tulips

Post by 24tulips »

nope no records of anything. I know that there are people in my family that have it - but I suppose they don't realize how important this is to me! (they don't seem to take the time to find the documents)

I do know my parents names! LOL... Linda Diane Calderone is my mother and my uncle michael calderone, steven calderone and debbie calderone. (maybe I'll search that too)
my grandmother's line - well my grandmothers parents died when she was very young and she was raised by nuns.
but it's my grandfathers line I want right now.
I know it's a needle in a haystack!

I was on Ancestry.com and I found nothing on my grandfather, his brother or great grandfather... that I could tell was them for sure..

Same thing with familysearch.org.

I was hoping that someone might recognize that story about my relative being shot (isn't that lovely!)

I did go to ellisisland.org - I did get a hit on a James Calderone - that seemed promising - and then I looked up Vincenzo Calderone and I got 20 hits... so I think I'll work on James first.

if you think of anything that might help please let me know.... I'll keep you posted too!

thanks again!
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

A word of advice..be patient. Researching your family takes time and needs to be backed up with records. You may have to go through all 20 hits at ellis island to see if they mention a parents name or a brothers name or if they were on route to Ontario, etc...

Its all the little clues that help. Another thing you might try is going through the family pictures. Sometimes there is writing on the back of them or a photographers name. Going through my sisters pictures I found the picture of my great grandfather. My sister had it put aside assuming it belonged to her husband until I noticed the photographer stamp stating it was taken in Colorado. I recognized it immediately and later confirmed with my mother. Also look for memory/prayer cards, naturalization records, fishing licenses, anything that might give you a clue.

You say they were in Ontario at one time..where abouts? Could they have come through Halifax (possible if they arrived in the 1960's). If this is the case then you can google Pier 21 and see if there is anything there. I also have the address where you can write away for is immigration records if he did.

If you live in Toronto, the Family History Center in Don Mills has lots of Canadian records. You might want to contact them. If you are from around here, let me know and I can provide their number and email. Peter, or Harold or any of the ladies will guide you on the services available..''Hope this helps.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
24tulips

Post by 24tulips »

Hi!

Well It looks like I bothered my mother enough and got a little info out of her..........

Walter james douglas calderone
born in East york, Ontario March 13, 1936

his brothers are Gord Calderone and Jimmy Calderone(not sure if it's James still)
has a sister named Katherine Calderone (also goes by the name Kay)
katherine's last name is now Mason. (was Collins) and born calderone.

Walter's father was James Calderone
he lived in Chicago (could not confirm if he was born there)
died in 1982 (february??)

Aisle Mark or Marx (my grandfathers mother) died on April 12 1949

James Calderone's brother was Romeo Calderone (the one who was murdered) --- in Chicago

so I guess my search continues in Chicago!

I'll let you know how it goes.
24tulips

Post by 24tulips »

First Name: James
Last Name: Calderone
Ethnicity:
Last Place of Residence: Chicago, Ills.
Date of Arrival: May 08, 1923
Age at Arrival: 39y Gender: M Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: Dante Alighieri
Port of Departure: Palermo
Manifest Line Number: 0001

I found this on Ellisisland.org - it was the only one! and he lived in Chicago!
how lucky is that!

..........what do I do now??
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

Joseph Calderone was born May 16, 1871 and married Caterina Badali who was born October 19, 1877.
they sailed to a port in New York before heading for Chicago Illinois

Their Children:

Florence Calderone m. Charles Morello date unknown had son Gus

Gus Calderone m. Ella date unknown had sons Jack and Joseph

Joseph Calderone m. Mary date unknown

Kathleen Calderone m. Samuel Curary date unknown had son Salvadore

Margaret Calderone m. Rocco ? date unknown and had son Michael and daughter Lucille who d. abt 1994

Mary Calderone m. Joe Palumbo date unknown had daughters Kathleen and Marie

Roy Calderone m. Kathleen date unknown and had daughter Kathleen

Samuel Calderone m. Mary date unknown had two sons James and John

Tony Calderone - died as a child date unknown

Tony Calderone m. Mickey date unknown had daughter Marie and adopted (?) son Michael

Grace Calderone b. about 1915 m. Robert McGrath (died about 1996)date unknown and had daughter Rosemary and sons Robert and Joseph

Josephine Calderone b. about 1922 d.February 8, 1999 m. (1) Gerry Heiman date unknown and had son Wayne and daughter Diane m. (2) John Victor Henderson date unknown

James Calderone b. August 22, 1905 Chicago Illinois d. March 5, 1985 Newmarket Ontario Canada m. (1) Elsie Violet Marks August 17, 1927 had daughter Katherine and sons James, Gordon,Walter and twin boys Vincent and Frankie who were born and died about 1935
m. (2) Agnus McDougall Sharp abt 1956 had one daughter Marilyn

evidently they were from Termini Imerese.

The above information taken from a message board here: http://www.genforum.genealogy.com/calde ... ges/5.html

There is a TON of info online for this Arbereshe Sicilian town (Termini Imerese).

This amazing site for one.

I have been in contact with the lady who runs this site as some of the Carini people intermarried with the Termini people and she is very helpful. I think she charges a bit to access the records, but has spent countless hours extracting and organizing (much like I have for Carini) and I suppose she wishes to be compensated (expense wise) for her diligent and quite comprehensive work.

Jim :)
24tulips

Post by 24tulips »

Oh WOW! I can't thank you enough!!!

I really don't know what to say, except I am
Forever Thankful!

I'm speechless....
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

24tulips,

James have given you some great resources. Hope you check them out. I also want to offer some advice.

On James passenger list it gives you his Naturalization date and number. It also gives the same for his wife (traveling with him on line 2). You could write away for this record. It may list his real name or if he changed his name, that might be listed too. Its possible he legally changed it to James..you never know.

You might also consider writing away for his file under the FOIA. You never know what you might find in there. Will provide an address or link if you like to the website.
He may have made another trip...from ancestry..

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about James Calderone
Name: James Calderone
Arrival Date: 1 Feb 1928
Estimated birth year: abt 1885
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Ship Name: Conte Biancamano
Search Ship Database: Search the Conte Biancamano in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Line: 5
Microfilm Serial: T715
Microfilm Roll: T715_4207
Page Number: 80

Source Citation: Year: 1928; Microfilm serial: T715; Microfilm roll: T715_4207; Line: 5; .

James Manifest 1928
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Is this James and Family in the 1930 Census?

1930 United States Federal Census
about James Calderone
Name: James Calderone
Home in 1930: Chicago, Cook, Illinois
Estimated birth year: abt 1885
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's name: Mary
Race: White

Education:

Military Service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage:

Parents' birthplace:

View image
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
James Calderone 45
Mary Calderone 29
Phillip Calderone 22
Mary Calderone 20
Samuel Calderone 15
Anthony Calderone 12
Prudence Calderone 19
Julius Calderone 7

Source Citation: Year: 1930; Census Place: Chicago, Cook, Illinois; Roll: 470; Page: 2B; Enumeration District: 2733; Image: 680.0.

Living on Crystal street which matches the ship manifest. If you can confirm, I can link the image.

You also might want to try www.findagrave.com There is a member on that forum who has transcribed cemeteries in Newmarket and may also be able to help.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

nuccia wrote: On James passenger list it gives you his Naturalization date and number. It also gives the same for his wife (traveling with him on line 2). You could write away for this record. It may list his real name or if he changed his name, that might be listed too. Its possible he legally changed it to James..you never know.

You might also consider writing away for his file under the FOIA. You never know what you might find in there. Will provide an address or link if you like to the website.
He may have made another trip...from ancestry..
great advice Nuccia, I would love to see what his naturalization papers revealed. He traveled back and forth quite a few times evidently.

:)
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Thanks James! I'm curious too. I also noticed something a bit strange..we've been doing a lot of research for the name Rinella on a couple of posts. Well, the name Calderone and Rinella seem to show up together, if I remember correctly. Winsdor I think...could have been Samuel and Mary....I'll check into this or you can read through the Rinellas posts and see. I know I linked an image.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
24tulips

Post by 24tulips »

good lord! thank you SOOO much!
there is so much to do now....
I did see that mariatta was travelling with him.. and I did see the address where they planned on moving to - it looked as if it was wrong.. and scratched out - it think it reads "park" ave?
I am having a little trouble figuring out all the paperwork..
I am definitely going to send away for everything, it seems as if no one in my family has done this, and it is so valuable.

I'll continue my search and let you know whats happening

thanks again!!!!