demarris

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jolynn
Elite
Elite

demarris

Post by jolynn »

hello all, does anyone know if the name demarris has any christian or surename meaning in italy, this lady, catholine demarris robbins was the first daughter of mary robbins(conte) who i am researching and i wondered if her mother christianed her after a family relative in italy. thankyou all once again, regards john
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Re: demarris

Post by JamesBianco »

Damaris

It is a biblical name:

an Athenian woman converted to Christianity under the preaching of Paul (Acts 17:34)

Some have supposed that she may have been the wife of Dionysius the Areopagite.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

In Italy exist the surname( some people: DE MARRIS( with space), and MARRIS, and more MARIS; also exist: DE MARIS ( Roma area)...if you can to provide more and better details we can help you... regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
jolynn
Elite
Elite

Post by jolynn »

hello james and suanj, thankyou for your replies, i will send more information tomorrow when i can consult my records. thanks for the help, i do beleive there was a space and will confirm tomorrow. thanks again, kind regards john
jolynn
Elite
Elite

Post by jolynn »

hello all, further information to family search, my grandmother and her sister maria conte came to england between 1901 and 1908 when they both got married to grimsby fishermen. maria conte,s full name was maria guiseppa conte before she married frank ernest robbins in grimsby in 1908, i have found her birth date, it is 10-02-1892, her first child was called catholine de. marris robbins and she was born in 1910. i wondered if the de. marris was maria,s mothers maiden name and wanted to remember her mother through naming her first child after her. i have lots of details of their lives in england but none of their italian past and birth place. the only other information is their fathers name was aquilla conte but he was dead when they got married in england. mary,s sister was called felicia and she was born in italy in 1890 but we do not know where. thanks for all the help, kindest regards john
jolynn
Elite
Elite

Post by jolynn »

hello all, this is just an addition, maria was called marie guiseppa on her headstone when she died in 1979 and is buried in holton-le-clay lincolnshire england, any further help would be appriciated, thanks john
jolynn
Elite
Elite

Post by jolynn »

hello all, further to this enquiry, can anyone tell me about the christian name guiseppa, a definition or meaning, also is marie spelt this way common in italy. also is there any further info. on the name de. marris as this is the way it is spelt on her headstone, thankyou regards john
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hi John!
This site may help.
Valarie

Behind the Name
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Giuseppa is female shape of Giuseppe( male) in devotion to San Giuseppe( Saint Joseph) so Giuseppa = Josepha/Josephine... suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
jolynn
Elite
Elite

Post by jolynn »

thankyou vj and suanj, i am beginning to piece things together, with the birthdate for marie guiseppa conte being 10/02/1892, her fathers name, being aquilla conte, her sister being felicia conte born 1890 and marie,s first daughter having a middle name de marris am i getting any closer, also on marie conte,s marriage cert. it gives her occupation as organ grinder, could this have any relavance. i know they came here to england between 1901 and 1908 when they got married. thanks again, any further help would be most appriciated, kind regards john
jolynn
Elite
Elite

Re: de marris

Post by jolynn »

hello all, further to the name de marris, is this name as a surename from a particular region of italy. marie guiseppa conte had another daughter called angelina, this was her second daughter, would she have been named after a particular relative in those days. thankyou all again, any help at all would be of great help especially because we have the birth date of maria now. thankyou, john