Is this my great-grandfather?? NEED OPINIONS PLEASE HELP

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jenalonso
Veteran
Veteran

Is this my great-grandfather?? NEED OPINIONS PLEASE HELP

Post by jenalonso »

I could really use some experienced opinions on this. I have been trying to find out from what town exactly my great-grandfather was and I think I may have finally found his passenger manifest that says it. But I could use some help deciding:

I had already known that my great-grandfather, Eugenio Nostrame (we pronounce it ¨Nah-strum¨) had arrived here in 1906 (U.S. Census records). Just recently I found an Ellis Island ship manifest that has a ¨Eugenio Nastro¨and despite the very different spelling, I think this may be him. Eugenio Nastro arrived in NY on August 24, 1906, from Naples and lists Gragnano as his town of origin. He was to be staying with his ¨brother Salvatore¨ at 238 Mulberry St.

Now this is why I tend to think it´s him (please tell me if you disagree): the sounding of the name is similar and my Eugenio had a son named Salvatore (maybe named his son after his brother?). Also, his wife and children departed Naples on Aug. 15th arriving about the same time as Eugenio in NY on Aug. 31, 1906 (albeit on a different boat - any thoughts on why they traveled separately?). She listed Naples as her town of origin and her point of contact as her husband at 61 Mulberry Str. (same street as Salvatore).

One thing I don´t understand is how she could have gotten the new address for Eugenio at 61 Mulberry Street if they were traveling at the same time? I was thinking he would have arrived a bit earlier to set up the new home for his family. Any thoughts?

Your opinions are appreciated! Thanks so much!
cavenezia

Re: Is this my great-grandfather?? NEED OPINIONS PLEASE HELP

Post by cavenezia »

Was he a baker?
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

it seem that on the ship's manifest it is crossed and it are a phrase as" D... at embark" and also the second ship's manifest is crossed... you can say us the name wife and children? the age of Eugenio on this ship manifest sound right? regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

this are the children?
http://ellisisland.org/search/shipmanif ... 2283120323

1. Clementina Nostrome Napoli, Napoli 1906 1 View View View
2. Concetta Nostrome Napoli, Napoli 1906 2 View View View
3. Vincenza Nostrome Napoli, Napoli 1906 5 View View View
and also the mother name is spelled as MANCIACAPRE Maria; suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
jenalonso
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jenalonso »

Yes, those are his children. His wife was Rose Maria Mangiacapre - she´s on the same manifest with the children.

Cavenezia, I don´t know if my great grandfather was a baker. I suppose I can ask around my family.

And yes, that´s a good point, Suanj. There is another manifest in Sept 1906, and that name is definitely crossed out. The Aug one I wasn´t sure if it was crossed out. Do you see that number they wrote in? Do you know what that is? And yes, his age is about right.

I don´t know what to make of these manifests - whether it´s him or not.
Cathynap
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Cathynap »

Mulberry Street is the heart of "Little Italy". Many Italians got off the boat and went to Mulberry Street. There were a lot of apartments and boarding houses there and they would stay in groups often. My grandmother had a 3 flat in Chicago's little Italy and sometimes as many as 10 men would stay in a single 2 bedroom apartment. As soon as they got a job or a better job they would move to their own apartment. Once they set up housekeeping they sent for their families. It is very possible he stayed in an apartment with other boarders until he saved some money to bring his family over and get a new place to live.
jenalonso
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Is this my great-grandfather? NEED OPINIONS

Post by jenalonso »

Ok, sorry to keep pushing this, but my question is:

If Eugenio arrived only a week before Rose (which I still don't know), how could he have communicated to her the new address on Mulberry Street (which is on her passenger manifest) if she was traveling at that time?

ALL opinions welcome! Thanks everyone!

Jen
Cathynap
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Cathynap »

That probably would have been impossible. Sorry I must not have read the question correctly. The journey across the ocean took an average of 10 days - she would have been on the ship already. But, in tracking my family members out of Montalto Uffugo I have noticed that there were 2 address almost all of them went to the first time they arrived here. One on Mulberry St and one on West Street (which had the same number...hmmm). It could be may made it up to get into the country or it could be someone else secured housing for them before they came. Perhaps a friend or relative who entered this country first. They all helped each other. I know my Grandparents sponsored countless people from their towns - they stayed with them until they found housing elsewhere. Did you check the censuses for this address? That may hold some clues.
jenalonso
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jenalonso »

I JUST WANT TO SAY THANKS TO ALL OF YOU. VERY VERY HELPFUL STUFF.

You're right, Cathy. Impossible because Rosa Maria left on Aug. 15th. Eugenio hadn't arrived until Aug. 24th (IF this passenger manifest that I found is him it says "Eugenio Nastro" and has a different age). That is the problem I'm trying to figure out.

Now this is the thing: I think you two just gave me my answer about something. Napoli WAS the town so they all at least LIVED in the center for a time & their children were probably born there, right? That means I might be able to get Eugenio's town of origin from the Naples records. But which records would have his town of origin or his family history?

And who knows? I may find out he wasn't even born in Italy. I know our name is not Italian.
Cathynap
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Cathynap »

My grandfather had 4 different birth years in official US documents. I now know his real birth year because I found his birth record from Italy. His US army papers, work papers and evn life insurace had incorrect birth years which were all different. They lied. Remember that. Keep an open mind because whatever you grew up believing may not be true. Ancestry.com has free access to military records for the next week or so. Go there and have a look. Maybe you will find something helpful. I did.
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

This is just a thought, but perhaps the person meeting the traveler supplied the home address. I know that some of my family members (wife and children) were detained until the husband picked them up. Imagine coming so far alone and not having someone waiting!!! Of course, who knows what caused the delay. It wasn't a long one, they were released the same day. I found this out because there were two records, the ship's manifest and a detention log.