Looking for info on surnames DeTommaso and Massaro

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
JIMMYSAL
Rookie
Rookie

Looking for info on surnames DeTommaso and Massaro

Post by JIMMYSAL »

I am trying to locate info on my maternal G-G-Grandparents. Their names are Giovanni De Tommaso/Di Tommaso and his wife Carmela Matticola. They immigrated from Italy between 1885 to 1890. They had four children that I know of John, Gus, Annie, and Lucy. Lucy Died in 1918. They resided in Philadelphia, PA from about 1896 to 1923. They moved to Camden, New Jersey in 1923, where they spent the rest of their lives. The only info I have found so far on them was the 1920 and 1930 Census Records. The 1920 Census from Philadelphia, PA has them as John Thomas 55, Mille Thomas 56, Gus Thomas 18, John Thomas 16, Annie Thomas 12, and G-Daughter Mille Massaro 2 7/12. The 1930 Census from Camden, NJ has them as John Dethomas 68, Millie Dethomas 68, Gus Dethomas 30, John Dethomas 26, Millie Massaro 12, and Daughter in Law Mary Dethomas 33. I haven’t found much on them so far, but everything I did find has their name spelled different. (Di Tommaso, De Tommaso, Thomas, DeThomas, and Tomaseo) I am really trying to locate ship manifests and early census records.

My other G-G-Grandparents are Domenico Massaro born May ?, 1860 and Carmela Scioli born May ?, 1861. Their both were born in Monteroduni, Isernia. They immigrated anywhere from 1879 to 1895 according to the census. They resided in Philadelphia, PA for most of their lives. They had seven children Michael, Thomas, Joseph, Rose, Madeline, Salvatore, and Laura. I have found everything on them except ship manifests. :D I would appreciate any help you could give me. :D
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Looking for info on surnames DeTommaso and Massaro

Post by wldspirit »

It would help to know their exact age, and perhaps profession as listed on the census.

There are two pages of Giovanni Di Tommaso at Castle Garden, one of which is going to Philadelphia......... :? But time frame is 1902......

Giovanni Di Tommaso Occupation Laborer
Age 30
Sex M
Literacy N
Arrived 26 May 1902
Origin Italy
Port Naples
Last Residence Agnone
Destination Philadelphia Pa
Plan Unknown
Ship Neustria
Passage Unknown

I'm sure one of our members can help you locate the right one!!

wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

For reference, already found census records
1920 D'Tommaso Phila
1930 D'Tommaso Camden
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

possible 1910 census
Home in 1910:
South 6th Street
Philadelphia Ward 3, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

head John McDomarse 44 (abt 1866) IT
- married 25 yrs (abt 1885)
- immig 1891, Al
- laborer, street
wife Camille 45 (abt 1865) IT
- 12 children born, 6 children living
- immig 1892
son Cosmasse 9 (abt 1901) PA
daughter Lucy 11 (abt 1899) PA
son John 6 (abt 1904) PA
daughter Annie 2 (abt 1908) PA
JIMMYSAL
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JIMMYSAL »

vj,
Great Find!!! The surname is way off and I don't know how they mixed up Cosmasse for Gus, but that is definitely them. I appreciate your help! :D
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

You're welcome!
That was a tough one :wink:
Hope it had some new info for you.
Valarie
jamiecapaldi
Master
Master

Post by jamiecapaldi »

JIMMYSAL wrote:I am trying to locate info on my maternal G-G-Grandparents. Their names are Giovanni De Tommaso/Di Tommaso and his wife Carmela Matticola. They immigrated from Italy between 1885 to 1890. They had four children that I know of John, Gus, Annie, and Lucy. Lucy Died in 1918. They resided in Philadelphia, PA from about 1896 to 1923. They moved to Camden, New Jersey in 1923, where they spent the rest of their lives. The only info I have found so far on them was the 1920 and 1930 Census Records. The 1920 Census from Philadelphia, PA has them as John Thomas 55, Mille Thomas 56, Gus Thomas 18, John Thomas 16, Annie Thomas 12, and G-Daughter Mille Massaro 2 7/12. The 1930 Census from Camden, NJ has them as John Dethomas 68, Millie Dethomas 68, Gus Dethomas 30, John Dethomas 26, Millie Massaro 12, and Daughter in Law Mary Dethomas 33. I haven’t found much on them so far, but everything I did find has their name spelled different. (Di Tommaso, De Tommaso, Thomas, DeThomas, and Tomaseo) I am really trying to locate ship manifests and early census records.

My other G-G-Grandparents are Domenico Massaro born May ?, 1860 and Carmela Scioli born May ?, 1861. Their both were born in Monteroduni, Isernia. They immigrated anywhere from 1879 to 1895 according to the census. They resided in Philadelphia, PA for most of their lives. They had seven children Michael, Thomas, Joseph, Rose, Madeline, Salvatore, and Laura. I have found everything on them except ship manifests. :D I would appreciate any help you could give me. :D

Hello Jimmy,

I am at the start of researching Di Tommaso Family. Domenico Antonio Di Tommaso born 1869, Terelle (i think) married Caterina Massara/o in Birmingham, UK 1895, and both lived in the UK. Do you know of any connection?
NAMES: Capaldi-Tedesco-Tamilio-Minchella-Verrecchia-Tomasso-Franchitto-Innelli-Arpino-Caringi-Colacicco-Macari-Pinchera-Salera-D'Orazio-Ambrosino-Di Mambro-Sigliocolo-Masello
PLACES: Cassino- UK, USA, Ireland, Canada & Australia
http://www.cassino-families.co.uk