The "Tyrolean club"

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
denman922
Rookie
Rookie

The "Tyrolean club"

Post by denman922 »

Any Brooklynites here remember a place called the "Tyrolean" Club?

It was in Brooklyn I am told and was a common "hangout" of alot of my ancestors.
Descendant of Rotolo of Rizziconi, Cabriel/Gabriel of Belluno(BL), Froner,Ell,Ognibeni,Moschen of Levico Terme(TN), Libardi,Avancini of Barco di Levico(TN), Bernardi of Ponte nelle Alpi(BL), Metz of Bronzolo(BZ), Bonatti of Martello (BZ),Atz of Salorno(BZ
Sal
Rookie
Rookie

Re: The "Tyrolean club"

Post by Sal »

I am originally from Manhattan, can I still add my two cents :)

I have heard of the club (believe my mother attended some dances, etc in the 40s) but I don't have the address or know if it is still in existence. There was a book published for which I believe the club had some input. It was called "Trentini In Brooklyn and Queens" by Al Barozzi. Have not been able to locate a copy -- it had listings of Trentini, with vital statistics (birth, marriage, towns, when they arrived, etc.

Sal
www. trentinoheritage.com
denman922
Rookie
Rookie

Post by denman922 »

Thanks for the help. I looked for the book you mention, but am unable to find. Do you recognize any of the names in my "signature"?

Also, ( just to add to the Tyrol subject line) I see in my maternal Gm family that my grandmother's ( born US but 100% Tyrolean) grandparents are: (F) Giovanni Froner, Giulia Ell and (M) Jacob Metz, Antonia Bonati. Three of these four surnames are not "traditional" italian names. I don't think I havn't seen anything on this board or anywhere else, a posting or info on people with "german" sounding names from Tyrol.
Descendant of Rotolo of Rizziconi, Cabriel/Gabriel of Belluno(BL), Froner,Ell,Ognibeni,Moschen of Levico Terme(TN), Libardi,Avancini of Barco di Levico(TN), Bernardi of Ponte nelle Alpi(BL), Metz of Bronzolo(BZ), Bonatti of Martello (BZ),Atz of Salorno(BZ
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

denman922 wrote:Thanks for the help. I looked for the book you mention, but am unable to find. Do you recognize any of the names in my "signature"?

Also, ( just to add to the Tyrol subject line) I see in my maternal Gm family that my grandmother's ( born US but 100% Tyrolean) grandparents are: (F) Giovanni Froner, Giulia Ell and (M) Jacob Metz, Antonia Bonati. Three of these four surnames are not "traditional" italian names. I don't think I havn't seen anything on this board or anywhere else, a posting or info on people with "german" sounding names from Tyrol.
It isn't surprising since Tyrol was part of Austria until 1918.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Tyrol

Look at the list of Notable natives of South (Italian) Tyrol at the bottom. See some of the Germanic surnames?

I would bet most (even the residents of the Italian part) would have tons of Germanic ancestry as you go back in time.

My grandmother's parents were from The Province of Belluno, very close to Austria, and when you get back into the 1700's in her lines 1 out of 4 of her ancestors have Germanic surnames.
denman922
Rookie
Rookie

Post by denman922 »

Yes, I saw that. My Maternal GF's family is from Belluno, also.

Borgo Piave and Ponte nelle Alpi.

Thier name is Cabriel. In America, Gabriel.

I noticed that 99% of my ancestors with German/Austrian surnames, have traditional italian first names. I guess they were "italianized"
Sal
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Sal »

If you take a look at my website (www.trentinoheritage.com) you will see quite a few refereneces to Germanic names (especially as James mentions, Trentino was part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire until after WW I. As an illustration, my mother was born while Trentino was part of Austria, and to her dying day got highly insulted if you referred to her as Italian rather than Austrian. She married a Sicilian, but that is another story :)
Deman -- I have seen some of the surnames you mention, but nothing specific. I note that you have Bronzolo and Mattarello as villages of your family. My grandmother's brothers (surname Banaletti) were big in the Brooklyn community, operating as knifegrinders and then real estate owners and businessmen. The Banaletti's were from Bronzolo, arriving there from Mattarello sometime in the early to mid 1800s.

Sal
denman922
Rookie
Rookie

Post by denman922 »

Sal, you and I may have a connection.

My grandmothers uncle, Anton Metz, came to America in 1907. He was going to the home of his uncle, Pietro Banaletti, 334 E. 35th st.

And Anton's younger sister Maria, married Giovanni Battista Beltrami, he worked as a scissors/knife sharpener. ( 1915ish)

Anton was on the ship with Pietro's wife and children, Maria, Fanny and Irma.

Did the Banaletti family later live in Highland Falls or Cornwall, NY?
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

denman922 wrote:Yes, I saw that. My Maternal GF's family is from Belluno, also.

Borgo Piave and Ponte nelle Alpi.

Thier name is Cabriel. In America, Gabriel.

I noticed that 99% of my ancestors with German/Austrian surnames, have traditional italian first names. I guess they were "italianized"
My Grandmother's parents were from Valle di Cadore & Pieve di Cadore (Nebbiu)

DaVia Delfavero Agnoli Marinello were her grandparent's surnames.

Robert Piccioli has indexed Valle di Cadore's church records into a database back to the 1500's here:

Valle di Cadore Database
Sal
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Sal »

We connect.

Pietro (died 1942) was my grandmother Maria Banaletti's brother. She had 5 brothers who came to the US (initially to Colorado, where 2 of them were killed in mine explosions). I have never seen a Metz connection to the Banaletti's and it would be interesting to see the relationship. I do have a photo of Pietro at home.
Pietro brought many relatives here. In fact, when my mother returned to the US in 1932 (she was born in Colorado, but returned to Cunevo with her family at age 3) she Pietro's address as her destination (he was on Prospect Ave at that time, and later on 81st Street). My mother's maiden name was Iob.
Interesting story about Pietro -- my uncle Charlie Iob was also born in Colorado while my grandparents were here at the coal mines, and returned to Cunevo as a child. The Italian army tried to draft him, but Pietro made a trip over and took Charlie though the mountains and to the US to stay with him. Military authorities came looking for him, but they were told he was in the US. He later served with the US army at D-Day.

My email address is snromano @ hotmail. com or snromano @ optonline.net

Sal
Sal
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Sal »

James,
Just a note -- I saw your website (from the link you gave), and note the village of Spadafora. My father was born there, and I have info on his family back to sometime in the late 1700s -- but no link to your families.

Sal
denman922
Rookie
Rookie

Post by denman922 »

We connect. cool.

Now, I know all of the descendants of Anton Metz' parents, I know for sure there is no connect there.

If Pietro Banaletti is the uncle of Anton Metz as stated on the manifest of 1907. Its possible it may be Pietro's wife Maria. Do you know here maiden name? In the census of Cornwall 1910, it says " Maria B. Connection could be Anton's mother, Antonia, and Maria B are sisters. Antonia surname: Bonatti.
Sal
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Sal »

Unfortunately I do not have Maria's maiden name. I do have some notes that say she was from the village of Tuenno (in Trentino), and Bonati/Banatti is a somewhat common name there.

Sal
denman922
Rookie
Rookie

Post by denman922 »

What info do you have of them living in Cornwall? I see Pietro was a Drill ??? My Uncle Anton was also. Employed at the Forest of Dean Iron mines in Fort Montgomery. Also known as the Hudson Iron mine.

I have a picture of Antonia Bonatti from the 30's with a woman I cannot identify. I got this photo from a Metz relative in Italy. It was given to his grandfather in the 40's by a Metz relative here in America. I will find it and post it. I gotta go to work for a few hours, but will be back on later, hope we can figure this one out

Dennis
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

Sal wrote:James,
Just a note -- I saw your website (from the link you gave), and note the village of Spadafora. My father was born there, and I have info on his family back to sometime in the late 1700s -- but no link to your families.

Sal
Very cool Sal, I don't think they were natives of Spadafora or lived there very long. They moved around a lot evidently. I am at a loss as to how to find where they came from.

:?
Sal
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Banaletti

Post by Sal »

The only info I have about Cornwall is from the 1910 census. It shows that Pietro (Peter), Mary, children Joseph, Peter, Francis, and Irma), along with Pietro's brother Frank (Francesco) lived on River Road, Cornwall-on-Hudson.
One of Pietro's jobs when in Brooklyn was as a rock driller and foreman during construction of the NYC subways (as was his son Joseph/Giuseppe). It appears that by 1920 he was back in Brooklyn and his brother Frank in Highland. It appears that the family also lived at 195 Willoughby Street and on Wyckoff St at various times.

Sal