Ellis detention question

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
denman922
Rookie
Rookie

Ellis detention question

Post by denman922 »

Hello all and thank you again for all the help you have been.

My grt grandfather was detained in 1905. Reason was LPC. Why? He and three others from his town for this, one guy was deported. But they were all healthy, non-criminals. There are several columns under the caption : ACTIONS of the BOARDS of SPECIAL INQUIRY. Under the "admitted group" of columns a page number is listed. What did this page number refer to?

Dennis

Descendant of Rotolo of Rizziconi, Cabriel/Gabriel of Belluno(BL), Froner,Ell,Ognibeni,Moschen of Levico Terme(TN), Libardi,Avancini of Barco di Levico(TN), Bernardi of Ponte nelle Alpi(BL), Metz of Bronzolo(BZ), Bonatti of Martello (BZ),Atz of Salorno(BZ
peggymckee
Elite
Elite

Re: Ellis detention question

Post by peggymckee »

I'm pretty sure that LPC means "Likely to become public charge". Although I haven't done it myself, my suggestion is that you look around on the Ellis Island website for a discussion of this issue.

Peg
Surnames: Bertellotti - Ridolfi - Marchi
denman922
Rookie
Rookie

Post by denman922 »

Thank Peg. Yeah, I knew what LPC stood for, I just did not understand why he was considered this, as was his three friends. He had money, he was a healthy male. He had family in America, though they are not listed on the manifest. The page reference is interesting, was there a book of the proceedings of the detainee hearings?
Descendant of Rotolo of Rizziconi, Cabriel/Gabriel of Belluno(BL), Froner,Ell,Ognibeni,Moschen of Levico Terme(TN), Libardi,Avancini of Barco di Levico(TN), Bernardi of Ponte nelle Alpi(BL), Metz of Bronzolo(BZ), Bonatti of Martello (BZ),Atz of Salorno(BZ
Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Post by Poipuo4 »

www.jewishgen.org/info...fests/bsi/

This site has an explanation of manifest markings. Some of the columns of detained individuals indicate transcripts of the detention hearing by volume, page and secretary. My understanding is that only cases which were appealed may have been spared from destruction. The last column ususally indicates how many meals they were served while detained.
http://www.celenzaheritage.com

dedicated to the people of Celenza Valfortore, Province of Foggia
daveferro
Veteran
Veteran

Post by daveferro »

A photo book about NYC from 1850 to 1915 has one photo with the caption "The quarantine side-wheeler James W. Wadsworth", circa 1895. It goes on to say that if contagious diseases were suspected, they were sent to Staten Island, as they had since the 1840s. In 1858, local opposition resulted in the hospital being burned down; people feared that it was the source of a yellow fever epidemic.

Casle Clinton, later called Castle Garden, was the immigration bureau from 1855 to when Ellis opened in 1892, built with one million board feet of wood. It burned down as well and was rebuilt in stone. WWW.CastleGarden.org has some entries from before Ellis Island opened.
Castle Garden served as an opera house before, with Jenny Lind performing.

My maternal grandmother was delayed due to eye problems, resulting in a marriage to my grandfather rather than the man who paid for her passage. He told her he heard she was blind, and just like grandma, got mad and said in that case, she wasn't going to marry him.

You might try information about Staten Island, since that is where people were held for some ailments.

Dave Ferro
Ferro (from Ferri), Capriotti(TE); De(i)Marzio, Nervina(o), Colucci, Gatto, Testa(CB); Basile(BA) ; Bianchi(AQ); Augello, Bissi, Iacono(AG); Pisano(), Impaglia () Friends looking also: Vivenzio (SA); LoPiccolo(PA)-seems to be Lopicolo originally