Samnites and others

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
daveferro
Veteran
Veteran

Samnites and others

Post by daveferro »

Hello,
I know that the area my relatives come from (Campobasso) was occupied by the Samnites and have read of their history. How much does their language (Oscan) and culture exist in Italy today and through history? My grandparents had unique words that did not seem related to Italian or how they pronounced them.

Other grandparents came from Abruzzo, and maps from history books do not have details of which tribe was there: Herpini, etc.

Finally, maternal grandfather from Siculiana: many cultures there. What makes us who we are? My cousin Mary Ann asked this; I said "Who didn't invade Sicily?" or for that matter Italy.

We want to know our culture.

Thanks,

Dave Ferro
Auburn, New York
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Re: Samnites and others

Post by JohnArmellino »

Hi Dave

There is a museum in Campobasso on the history of the Samnite culture, including many artifacts from the various archeological sites in the area. It’s called Museo Sannitico and its located in the Centro Storico at Via Chiarizia, 12.

Could you provide some info on your campobassani roots. I have a database extracted from the civil records of Campobasso and might be able to make a connection.

Researching in Campobasso (CB): Allocati aka Locato, Antenucci, Armellino, Cerio, Colitto, Colucci, Cristina, de Rensis, del Rosso, di Niro aka di Nigris, di Nonno, di Rito, di Soccio aka de Socio, di Tota, Diodato, Eliseo, Fagliarone, Gammieri, Gianfagna, Guastaferro, Iabutto, Iammarino, Iannantuono, Latessa, Libertone, Libertucci, Livignali, Mancini, Marrone, Morena, Mucci aka Muccio aka Muccitto, Palladino, Paolecchia, Pasqualone, Piaccia, Pietrunto, Presutti, Romano, Salotto aka Salottolo, Santacroce, Santoro, Starruccio, Torella, Trotta, Vallillo, Veleno aka Veneno, Villano
John Armellino
daveferro
Veteran
Veteran

Post by daveferro »

Hi John,

Thanks for the post. My maternal grandmother was Rosa Testa, from Sant' Elia a Pianisi, who married John Bissi from Siculiana, Sicily. Her sister Mary Concetta Testa came later and married Raffaele Nervina, born in NYC, but family from Ripabottoni. My paternal grandparents were from Abruzzo.

I see from your post that one of the names is Colucci, which was the maiden name of great grandmother Chiara Testa (married to Salvatore). We have photos of them from 1919 and 1922, with sons Joe, Elio, and Peter. We have two Salvatore Testas in the Americas: Sal in Newark, NJ and Sully in Montreal. There are a number with some of hte other names on your list in Auburn: Mancini, Romano, Fagliarone, Villano.

Sully called to say they were going to Italy to visit His sister lived in Termoli. We don't have any contact with relatives there, as he does. But we want to find any cousins to reconnect. We don't get to Montreal anymore.

Thanks again,

Dave
Ferro (from Ferri), Capriotti(TE); De(i)Marzio, Nervina(o), Colucci, Gatto, Testa(CB); Basile(BA) ; Bianchi(AQ); Augello, Bissi, Iacono(AG); Pisano(), Impaglia () Friends looking also: Vivenzio (SA); LoPiccolo(PA)-seems to be Lopicolo originally
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

Hi Dave -

Most of my database was extracted from the Stato Civile of Campobasso, with some extractions from the civil records of Oratino, Busso, and Ferrazzano. There are two Testa families that moved into Campobasso during the 1800s, but they originated in Bonefro and Cercemaggiore respectively. I have several families from Sant'Elia a Pianisi that moved into Campobasso, but none named Testa.

I have a branch of my family that emigrated to Cayuga (NY). If I'm not mistaken, that’s somewhat near Auburn. That branch carries the surname Salato. My Colucci, Romano, Villano, and Fagliarone lines originated in Campobasso. I think my Mancini line may have originated in Casacalenda. Of course, Mancini, Romano, and Villano are common surnames with wide distribution, but Fagliarone is indigenous to the Campobasso area.
John Armellino
daveferro
Veteran
Veteran

Post by daveferro »

Hey John,

As a matter of fact, Auburn is in Cayuga County; there is also a town of Cayuga. Did you mean that? Hmm, there are several Salatos in our phone book: one on Franklin St. Auburn (probably outside the city), a Salato Gardens on Salato Lane in Cayuga and five others in Cayuga. My cousin John Ferro lives over there, as well as my cousin Ron Bissi. No Coluccis but all the other names are in there.

I went to school with Marilyn Villano; she and her husband run the family deli near my house, but it is up for sale, as the kids are not interested. Also knew Mancinis in high school.

Strange that you should say Bonefro, as in another post and forum, littleapple wondered if my grandfather's hometown of Ponzano was actually a misspelling, with the P once being a B, as in her ancestors' hometown, Bonefro! And now mine might be from there originally; have to tell her about that.

Someone else said they couldn't find my foster mother's grandfather, Pietro Nervino, in the Ripabottoni birth records. so must have been born elsewhere. perhaps Bonefro. Ironically, Ripabottoni has a listing for Testa, but not Sant' Elia.

I certainly will be looking into the towns you mentioned and also checking with the cousins in Cayuga to see if they know your relatives.

Thanks,

Dave
Ferro (from Ferri), Capriotti(TE); De(i)Marzio, Nervina(o), Colucci, Gatto, Testa(CB); Basile(BA) ; Bianchi(AQ); Augello, Bissi, Iacono(AG); Pisano(), Impaglia () Friends looking also: Vivenzio (SA); LoPiccolo(PA)-seems to be Lopicolo originally
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

Dave - Yes, my Salato cousins live or lived in the town of Cayuga. In fact, cousin Peter Salato served as its Mayor at one time. I don't know if there's any connection with Salato Gardens or Salato Lane.
John Armellino
daveferro
Veteran
Veteran

Post by daveferro »

John,
We get the local paper late from my aunt, and an obit about Tom Leader, a chiropractor that has treated my mother, aunts and myself once noted that his wife is Celeste Salato. I'm guessing this is a relative.

Tom was wonderful to many people, only charging $8 for walk-ins then later $10. Older people could not afford much and he knew it. His sons take care of my mom now.

I saw Salato Lane on the map; it's right off the main street. I'll have to check it out next time I'm there. The Ferro family is having a get together next month.

Dave
daveferro
Veteran
Veteran

Post by daveferro »

John,

Thanks again for the info on the Testas. Our cousin Sal Testa said that he checked with the Salvatore (Sully) Testa in Montreal, who just go back from a visit to Sant' Elia and other towns, and there are no Testa left in Sant' Elia. Sully was there to visit his mother's family. My cousin Carol is going on a cruise to the Naples area, and our cousin Joe Hickey and wife are going to Colletorto (for the DeMarzios)and Sant' Elia, so they might or might not find Testa relatives.

We'll have to check Bonefro and Cercemaggiore. I wonder if great-grandfather Salvatore Testa had brothers. Did you find out about any Colucci connection?

We have passports, baptismal certificates and papers related to NYC in the 1890s if you would like to see them. Some are in the genealogy forum under Ferro.

Anyway, here is Grandma Rosa Testa Bissi's passport:

I noticed a benefit poster for a Salato at Leader's offices the other day.

Dave
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

Hi Dave
Did you find out about any Colucci connection?
I don't have any entries for Salvatore Testa or Chiara Colucci. If fact, the vast majority of Colucci entries in my database are from the comune of Campobasso --- only three of 200-odd entries are from other towns (Aquila, Cerreto Sannita, Napoli).
Our cousin Sal Testa said that he checked with the Salvatore (Sully) Testa in Montreal, who just go back from a visit to Sant' Elia and other towns, and there are no Testa left in Sant' Elia.
I'm not sure what Salvatore (Sully) Testa said, but the white pages list quite a few Testa in Sant'Elia a Pianisi:

Testa Campolieto Maddalena
86048 Sant'Elia A Pianisi (CB) - Via Villa, 29
0874 81221

Testa Carmine
86048 Sant'Elia A Pianisi (CB) - Via Giudice Caracciolo, 130
0874 816184

Testa Donato
86048 Sant'Elia A Pianisi (CB) - Corso Umberto I, 292
0874 816529

Testa Filippo
86048 Sant'Elia A Pianisi (CB) - Via Carminale, 68
0874 816355

Testa Fiorilli Carmela
86048 Sant'Elia A Pianisi (CB) - Corso Laudo, 33
0874 816302

Testa Francesco
86048 Sant'Elia A Pianisi (CB) - Contrada Masseria Cacchione, 8
0874 816198

Testa Francesco
86048 Sant'Elia A Pianisi (CB) - Via F.cristinziani, 9
0874 816391

Testa Francesco
86048 Sant'Elia A Pianisi (CB) - Corso Umberto I, 290
0874 81245

Testa Giuseppe
86048 Sant'Elia A Pianisi (CB) - Via Roma, 29
0874 81524

Testa Giuseppina
86048 Sant'Elia A Pianisi (CB) - Corso Umberto I, 164
0874 81579

Testa Luigi
86048 Sant'Elia A Pianisi (CB) - Corso Laudo, 75
0874 816557

Testa Nunziata
86048 Sant'Elia A Pianisi (CB) - Piazza Domenico Tartaglia, 15
0874 81392

Testa Nunzio
86048 Sant'Elia A Pianisi (CB) - Via Francesco Petti, 22
0874 816315

Testa Paolo
86048 Sant'Elia A Pianisi (CB) - Contrada Stradella
0874 816460

Testa Pasquale
86048 Sant'Elia A Pianisi (CB) - Via G. Caracciolo, 40
0874 81323

Testa Sac. Elia
86048 Sant'Elia A Pianisi (CB) - Via G. Caracciolo
0874 816438

Biunno Testa Angela
86048 Sant'Elia A Pianisi (CB) - Corso Umberto I, 286
0874 816305
John Armellino
daveferro
Veteran
Veteran

Post by daveferro »

John,

Thanks for the listing. My cousins Savatore meant there were none of our Testat relatives left in Sant' Elia a Pianisi. It is hard, though, to believe that none of the Testas you have are not related to us. There are Chiara's sons in Termoli and I also saw listings for Testa in Campobasso and Ripabottoni, where the Nervinas (or Nervinos) came from.

How did you get the database? We would like to know more about the Testas that came from Bonefro and Cercemaggiore.

About ancient people, I found that the Vestini were between the Aterno and Pescara Rivers, where the Ferros come from. I looked at the Campobasso website you mentioned. What I wanted to know is which of the Samnite "cantons" were around our area.

I posted a photo of my Sicilian Grandfather John Bissi and Liz at Gente di Mare fixed a big gouge over one of the faces. My grandfather is seated on the right and his brother Stefano standing on the right.

I sent the pic to cousins, but it seems Joe and his wife have already left for Italy.
Also have docs (baptismal certificates, undertaker bill, passports, a member book from the Harlem Shooting Club in Italian) from Italian East Harlem. Not sure if you would be interested in them.

Thanks again,
Dave

JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

How did you get the database? We would like to know more about the Testas that came from Bonefro and Cercemaggiore.
Most of my database was extracted from the Stato Civile of Campobasso, with some extractions from the civil records of Oratino, Busso, and Ferrazzano. The civil records of Sant'Elia a Pianisi (1809-1900) have been filmed by the LDS (31 reels). To view the film details go to www.familysearch.org, then Library>FamilyHistoryLibraryCatalog>PlaceSearch and enter Sant'Elia a Pianisi. These films can be viewed at their Family History Centers; the nearest location can be found on the website. Perhaps you've already searched these films, but if not, you should be able to trace your family back to the 18th century through them. By doing so, and then filling in various aunts, uncles, and cousins, you'll be able to determine which present-day Testas are your cousins. I suspect many of them are, especially if the Testas are indigenous to Sant'Elia a Pianisi.

That is a wonderful photo and the restoration came out great.
John Armellino
daveferro
Veteran
Veteran

Post by daveferro »

John,

Thanks for the info on FHC. I went to the site and found the local FHC, which I had read about in our local paper. Didn't make the connection until reading posts here and at Gente de Mare as many there refer to them. Actually did speak to one of the FHC people who owns a sewing machine shop. Have you checked out Gente di Mare? Very nice site and great people too.

Chiara Colucci Testa sister was Irene who married a Pettigrosso; they sponsored my grandmother and grand aunt. The name was changed to Pettigrass here, but the youngest wishes it was back to Pettigrosso. Can you imagine sending your 18 year old daughters so far away and not seeing them again? They came because they had no dowry.

Sal Testa in NJ says he visited his mother's family in Sant'Elia; their name is Colavita, the ones connected with the olive oil business. Now I notice that the bottles say Rome rather than Sant'Elia though.

This is an image of Pietro Nervino's Tiro book.

Many more pics and docs at one of the websites: Ferro Family

Can't understand the google ads though: I can understand the ads for Marin County and Auburn, but the Family Album page has ones for Pakistani girlfriends! I changed the title to Italian Family Albums, so maybe it will say Italian girlfriends. Not appropriate for aunts and uncles.

Dave
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

Sal Testa in NJ says he visited his mother's family in Sant'Elia; their name is Colavita, the ones connected with the olive oil business. Now I notice that the bottles say Rome rather than Sant'Elia though.
Colavita Olive Oil still has a significant presence in Molise, including Sant'Elia a Pianisi. The Colavita Pasta Factory in located in Campobasso. The following information is from their website:
A long time ago in the quaint hilltop village of Sant'Elia a Pianisi, located in the Molise region of Italy, two small family businesses were born. One family operated a stone mill for crushing homegrown olives used to produce fine extra virgin olive oil. The other family gathered the durum wheat harvest, milled the wheat into semolina grain and ultimately produced fresh pasta for the local market. Over time, both families became experts at their trade, passing their knowledge to the next generation, who in turn did the same. The two families had much in common not only in perfecting time-honored production methods, but also in name. They were both Colavita families.

Today, the Colavita Olive Oil and Colavita Pasta companies are still family-owned and operating in the same town of their ancestors. They have since joined with another family-owned company, Colavita USA, and together they have shared the fruits of their respective crafts with American consumers for over twenty years.
Colavita also sponsors a tour, which includes the following molisani towns: Isernia, Pietrabbondante, Agnone, Vinchiaturo, Campobasso, Altilia, Larino, Termoli, and Campomarino. The tour sounds great --- there are details on their website.
John Armellino
daveferro
Veteran
Veteran

Post by daveferro »

Thanks for the website, John. I'll look it up and tell Sal as well.

He said last time he was there it was so relaxing that his blood pressure went down considerably. When he got back to Newark airport it went right back up again.

Wish I had bought a bottle of olive oil with the Sant'Elia name on it. I showed my mother when we were at a store at least.

Some day I would like to take that tour. My cousin Carol is coming back from her 10 day cruise around Naples. She didn't get to go inland to Sant'Elia.

Emmy is researching Sant'Elia Fiumerapido and it has an interesting history. Fiume turns out to be the Italian name for a city in Croatia. I have to ask why the name is so far away at this Sant'Elia, unless Italians from there settled at Sant'Elia.

Also, my cousin Stan gave me a book about Fifth Army operations in Italy in WWII that his father had. Sant'Elia Fiumerapido has four citations in the index. Uncle Joe had a number of photos from that time that I have scanned. None of Sant'Elia, but of Salerno, Anzio, Rome, Gaeta, Cesterna (sp) and others. Also some of Algeria. Have to post those sometime. Some of the pics are of damaged tanks, guns, or planes, civilians in front of a building, American troops plus some small postcards of Italian sights.

Dave
TonyDiNobile
Rookie
Rookie

Post by TonyDiNobile »

Hi John....I was wondering if you might be able to help me since have access to records....My Great Gran Parents were Guisseppe & Giovanina(Ciolfi) Di Nobile and from Ripalimosani , Campobasso , Molise....I am trying to determine the name of my GG Grand Father.....** Also do have any information on a Luigi Iacobucci in Busso....Regards ,

Tony Di Nobile