"Gambino" surname maybe from Bisacquino.

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Stephano

"Gambino" surname maybe from Bisacquino.

Post by Stephano »

My Great Grandfather and Great Grandmother were possibily from Bisqcquino. His name was Salvadore Gambino. He came to New Orleans, LA in about 1889. Do you know where the Gambino name originated? Any assistance would be greatly appriciated.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Gambini is derived along with many others from the basic surname GAMBA. Gamnbini isfound thruout Italy but in high concentrations in Sicily and Liguria regions. The name Gamba along with several other variations are documented in the 10th century in Italy. Peter
Stephano

Where is Liguria?

Post by Stephano »

ptimber:
Thanks for all your help. I entered Liguria into the web search, but no
results were found.
Where is this Liguria?
Stephano
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: "Gambino" surname maybe from Bisacquino.

Post by suanj »

Stephano wrote:My Great Grandfather and Great Grandmother were possibily from Bisqcquino. His name was Salvadore Gambino. He came to New Orleans, LA in about 1889. Do you know where the Gambino name originated? Any assistance would be greatly appriciated.
Hi : this surname is original of nickname "gambino" word in order to indicate person with defect to leg ..sure this surname was present also in Puglia region
http://www.bisceglieweb.it/Storiab/HILGCOGNOMI.asp (please read Lamanuzzi name)...but in Sicily to Castellammare del Golfo the Gambino family have sure origin data . In fact the noble Gambino family coming from Catania town around XVIII° century http://www.castellammareonline.it/main3/nobili20.html
and diffused in all Sicily region.
By Araldica:
Cognome GAMBINO
Dimora principale (main house) Catania

In archivio (inarchive) Documento disponibile (document available )
Fonti bibliografiche Archivio VSp (book genealogy in archive VSp)
Parentele STRONA (other noble relative family surname Strona)

Titolo nobiliare Nobile (Noble title)
-----------
Currently this surname is very diffused in all Italy
regards, suanj
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

The Italian surnamed Dictionary contains this information about Gambino being concentrated in Liguria as well and there are more than 200 Gambino currently residing in Liguria region. I am a bit confused as to what you are alluding to. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Sorry Liguria is a region consisting of 4 provinces just below Piemonte region and the Mediterranean in the Northwest part of Italy. Go to www.gens.labo.net and put in the Gambino surname and you will see the entire distribution of the Gambinoi surname in Italy. Liguria is the long this region along the western part facing the sea. Peter
Emilygb

Re: "Gambino" surname maybe from Bisacquino.

Post by Emilygb »

Do you have any more information on Salvadore Gambino? I have a Salvatore Gambino in my family- All I know is mother's name is Rosina, his father died in a sulfer mine accident after which Rosina married Salvetore's fathers brother Giacchino. They have a son (Salvadore's half brother) and it is that Gambino that immigrated to NY from Palermo Sicily in 1890 and is my g-grandfather. Any connection that you can deduce?
Emily