I need help in Orange county, NY

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
denman922
Rookie
Rookie

I need help in Orange county, NY

Post by denman922 »

I need a member that lives in the Highland Falls/ West Point Area to help me if possible. Is there anyone out there?
Descendant of Rotolo of Rizziconi, Cabriel/Gabriel of Belluno(BL), Froner,Ell,Ognibeni,Moschen of Levico Terme(TN), Libardi,Avancini of Barco di Levico(TN), Bernardi of Ponte nelle Alpi(BL), Metz of Bronzolo(BZ), Bonatti of Martello (BZ),Atz of Salorno(BZ
denman922
Rookie
Rookie

Re: I need help in Orange county, NY

Post by denman922 »

What I need is the death date on this head stone. When I visited this cemetery in May of 2006, I was suspicious that this was my grandmother's Uncle Anton ( Anton Metz).

Anton's Story: He came to America in 1907 with a some cousins and an Aunt ( Banaletti, but I have not yet made connection)

In 1908, friends of his came to America from Salurn, Austria ( today Salorno, Italy )

Felix and Eugene Atz/Otz ( bros.)

Anton lived in the Forest of Dean mines in 1910 ( census 1910 with father Jacob and sister, Maria)

Where the bros. lived in 1910 I have no idea but I do suspect they were living in that area.

In 1910/1911 Anton Metz married Mary Kimmenau, then he died 48 hours later of double pnuemonia.

Mary, a year or so later, married Eugene ( he went by James though ) and a year or so after that, Felix married Ida Metz, Anton's younger sister.

James Eugene Atz and Mary Kimmenau are not any blood relation to me, but they were very close to our family. During the 1930's, before my mother was born, James and Mary took care of my mother's older sisters ( during the depression) and thier daughter, Rose Atz is my mother's godmother.

When I was in Peacedale cemetery, last year, I saw this headstone and I suspected it to be Anton, but the name is spelt wrong. The birthdate on the stone is Aug 24, 1888. I pulled the grass back near the base of the stone to see the death date, it was in 1911. I did not write it down, because at the time I didn't think it was him. Two days ago, I recieved a certificato di stato di Famiglia originario from the town of Bronzolo where the Metz family was from. The entire family is all listed there and Anton's birthdate is August 24, 1888. This must be his headstone. I need the death date off the lower part of the stone so that I can get a death cert. and possibly the news article from thier local paper there.

I got a photo of the stone off of the "find-a-grave" website.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cg ... d=15339491&[/img]
Descendant of Rotolo of Rizziconi, Cabriel/Gabriel of Belluno(BL), Froner,Ell,Ognibeni,Moschen of Levico Terme(TN), Libardi,Avancini of Barco di Levico(TN), Bernardi of Ponte nelle Alpi(BL), Metz of Bronzolo(BZ), Bonatti of Martello (BZ),Atz of Salorno(BZ
peggymckee
Elite
Elite

Post by peggymckee »

Since you know the year and place of death, try the following:

http://www.health.state.ny.us/vital_rec ... ealogy.htm
Surnames: Bertellotti - Ridolfi - Marchi
denman922
Rookie
Rookie

Post by denman922 »

thanks for the link and the recommendation. I havn't had much luck with New York or Pennsylvania, when requesting birth, marriage or death records. I have spent almost 1000 dollars over three years on documents. I have always had better luck at getting the docs I need at the local level , and at no charge!! Over three years, between NY and PA., I have had 6 records " not found" for a total of about $150, when I know for sure that the ancestor I am searching had birth, marriage, death in that specific state. All the records I have sought in America, have been between 1905 and 1935. I am not sure, but I guess some counties, townships, boros, whatever, did not report to thier state ??
LinJ47
Rookie
Rookie

Post by LinJ47 »

HI Denman 922,

I suggest you contact:

Orange County Genealogy Society
101 Main Street, Goshen, NY 10924
Their website: http://www.ocgsny.org/

They have a whole huge library of files on surnames, cemeteries, etc. If anyone up there can help you, it's them!

Good Luck!
Linda