Paternal Great Grandfather/Philip Bosco

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
luvmynonnie
Rookie
Rookie

Paternal Great Grandfather/Philip Bosco

Post by luvmynonnie »

Hello again :)
Have sorta hit a standstill researching my maternal grandparents..D'Angelo, Rapposelli surnames so decided to take a break and see what I could find out on the paternal side.

Things I have found and know:

Great Grandfather's name: Philip Bosco, born about 1865. Not really sure where in Italy except family stories cite Sicily. He immigrated in 1890 according to the census. I have searched Castle garden and Ellis and cannot find him :cry:

I have found him on the 1910 and 1920 census. The 1910 one lists him as head of the household and there are three children. Sarah, Lilly and Jacob. Jacob is my paternal grandfather. Only he went by Jack Bosco. It states that he is widowed (Philip, my great grandfather) My mother *thinks* she remembers that my great grandfather died around the depression and *maybe* lived in San Francisco. She never met him. Family story also is that his wife died young which makes sense since he was widowed on the 1910 census and had all three of the kids.

The 1920 census he is still in Chicago only now he is living with my grandfather Jack (Jacob) and my grandmother, Josephine. The child listed is my uncle and all ages are correct as far as I know, so I am 99.9% sure this is for my family. Only thing that does not match up is that it says he is married :?:

Found my grandfather's registration for WW11 and it all matches
Found the 1930 census for my grandparents and by this time they had moved to California and that census is correct.

I want to find out where in Sicily my great grandfather was from but I don't know where to go from here since I cannot locate the ship's manifest and I cannot find a WW1 registration for him. Wasn't he required by law to register :?:

I do not know my paternal great grandmother's maiden name nor her first name. I remember my dad telling me eons ago that his grandmother's maiden name was Dimaria (not sure of the spelling)

Sorry this is so long...so much info in my head and it is spinning, LOL.
Any ideas how I can find out more info on my great grandfather?
I also remember my dad telling me that perhaps the surname was shortened and became Bosco.
It's like he dropped off the face of the earth after 1920 and if he died soon after the census...where did the kids go?

Any help is appeciated
Lib
mjones
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Paternal Great Grandfather/Philip Bosco

Post by mjones »

Lib:

Could this be the Naturalization record for your great grandfather?

Name: Filippo Bosco
Naturalization Date: 30 Mar 1906
Former Nationality: King of Italy
Birth Date: 17 Feb 1865
Arrival Port: NY NY
Arrival Date: 7 Mar 1891

merjones
FERRI - PROVENZANO - GUADAGNI - MARINESI - LARUSSA
luvmynonnie
Rookie
Rookie

Post by luvmynonnie »

Hello and thank you!
To answer your question...I really don't know if this is his or not. I know so little of him and only know his birth yr, not the day or month.
Again, appreciate your help.
Lib
peggymckee
Elite
Elite

Post by peggymckee »

Does the 1910 census have codes for citizenship--AL, PA etc? If your relative is AL (alien) or PA (applied) then likely the record mjones found isn't his.

However, if the naturalization record could be his, I suggest that you ask NARA for it. The docs will list wife, children, address, maybe where's he's from in Italy, etc. (However, my GF said he was born in Florence and in fact he was born in Sesto Fiorentino, a different comune but in the same general area.) You may well find his ship listed in the naturalization docs (I did). From that you could get the ship's manifest, and from that, maybe where he came from in Italy.

A long shot, maybe, but getting the naturalization docs from NARA costs only $10, and if it's the wrong person, not much is lost.

http://www.cognomiitaliani.org/cognomi/ ... 0002os.htm

Diffusi in tutt'Italia, ma particolarmente al centro nord Boschetti è egualmente presente in tutto il centronord, Boschetto è tipicamente veneto, Boschi è tipico lombardo, Boschin è veneto, friulano, con ceppi a Salzano, Noale,e Portogruaro e a Trieste, Boschini con un ceppo nel bergamasco ed uno nel mantovano, soprattutto al sud ed al nord Bosco, tipicamente lombardo Boschiroli, questi cognomi dovrebbero derivare dall'attività di tagliaboschi o dal luogo d'origine o da soprannomi relativi ad un carattere ombroso.

Good luck, Peg
Surnames: Bertellotti - Ridolfi - Marchi
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

The 1920 census he is still in Chicago
Do all census put him in Chicago? Did he ever reside in New York?

wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

IF this is the correct family, then the family was in New York, Illinois and California.

1930 United States Federal Census

Name: Jack F Bosco
Home in 1930: Oakland, Alameda, California
Estimated birth year: abt 1894
Birthplace: New York
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's name: Josephine abt 1900
Birthplace: Louisiana
Race: White
Age at first marriage:
Jack - 24
Josephine - 18
Household Members: Name Age
Jack F Bosco 36
Josephine Bosco 30
Philip Bosco 11 - Birthplace: Illinois
Joseph Bosco 8 - Birthplace: Illinois
Rose M Bosco 1 - Birthplace: California

Send for the marriage application of Jack and Josephine. This record could give you further clues to go on, such as the complete name of both parents.
However based on Jack's birthplace, his father Filippo was in New York, and the record found by Merjones could be correct. The Illinois census of 1910 list Filippo/Phillip as being naturalized.
Send for the record of Jack's birth as well.
wldspirit

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

A starting place in New York would be Brooklyn:

U.S. World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942

Name: Jack Bosco
Birth Date: 15 Apr 1893
Residence: Alameda, California
Birth: Brooklyn, New York
Race: White
Roll: WWII_1838313

Also, according to the 1910 census of Illinois, both sisters Sarah, abt 1894, and Lilly, abt 1896, were born in New York as well.

wldspirit

peggymckee
Elite
Elite

Post by peggymckee »

Hi Lib & Wldspirit--

Wldspirit you are like a magician! Lib, keep in mind that genealogical records aren't always 100% accurate. For example, on the 1920 census my father (then 4 years old) is listed as Louisa Jr, a female! I've seen a photo of him and he did have a mop of curls, but...

Good luck, Peg
Surnames: Bertellotti - Ridolfi - Marchi
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Census info should only be used as a general guide for clues, they are notorious for mistakes..... :lol:
But used in combination with other records, can be extremely helpful.

My Nonni went from Angela to Angeline and back to Angela thruout her census reports.......when in fact her name is Angela, as listed on her birth record.

wldspirit

luvmynonnie
Rookie
Rookie

Post by luvmynonnie »

Thank you ALL, so much! I will follow up with your suggestions.
I love this forum...and will keep you posted on what I find out.
Lib
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Love updates..... :D
Happy Hunting.....
wldspirit