About Passenger Manifests...

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jenalonso
Veteran
Veteran

About Passenger Manifests...

Post by jenalonso »

Are the passenger manifests listed on www.ellisislandrecords.com the same as that in the National Archives?

I went on the FHL website and it brought up the New York passenger manifests stored in the Archives and they seem to be in order by LAST NAME (which is good for my purposes!).

That would be helpful for me since I never found my great-grandfather's passenger manifest. I went on the ellis island website & his ship record is definitely not on there. But I know the ship, date, everything.

I am willing to go to the Archives, but are they the same set of records?
Searching for Nostrame, Mangiacapre, Cherubino, DiPascuale, Franco, Porto, D'Addona, DiLibero.
Sal
Rookie
Rookie

Re: About Passenger Manifests...

Post by Sal »

The Ellis Island manifests are mostly the same as those found at the archives. Before making the trip, try Stephen Morse's site at http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/eidb/ellisgold.html . You can search by last name, dates, etc. You can also search by village (I found many manifests this way that I would not have otherwise found -- due to spelling errors in the transcribing of names for the Ellis Island database). Of course, if the village is not listed or misspelled, that would be another problem.
Some of Morse's other pages (such as http://www.stevemorse.org/index.html ) give you tips and tools for finding manifests.
drovedo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by drovedo »

Also try Castle Island online. Just keyword it. It should come up for other records not relating to ellis island.
jenalonso
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jenalonso »

Do you mean Castle Garden?
Searching for Nostrame, Mangiacapre, Cherubino, DiPascuale, Franco, Porto, D'Addona, DiLibero.