FHC

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Sirena
Elite
Elite

FHC

Post by Sirena »

Hi
I will be going to the Family History Center to see films for the first time. Would someone be able to tell me what to expect? Can we print out copies? Is it possible to copy to a CD? I will be looking at records for a frazione.....will it be part of a larger group to sift through? Also, how long do they usually allow you to use films? Thank you for any of your tips.
Essgee
Master
Master

Re: FHC

Post by Essgee »

1. You do know you have to order the films in from Salt Lake? While some libraries have some records...like census...permanently in the facility, most do not keep records on permanent loan unless a particular person has do it for themselves. Then, anyone can use them. So you have to order the ones you need when you go there.

2. A frazione will be part of the records of the larger town into which it was absorbed for the most part. However, check the records for the frazione to see if they exist separately. Some do.

3. If you haven't checked the films available, you can do that on line at: www.familysearch.org
Do a search of the library holdings by place. Only put in the name of the comune or frazione. Don't deal with the box that says "part of". This way you will get the broadest search possible.

4. You can copy the original records right off the microfilm. Some centers are equipped to make CD's. Not sure of the limitations on the number of copies at one time. My center has some...but I am not sure whether they are always the same for everywhere. Just ask them.

5. Films take longer to get from Salt lake...upwards of a month...to arrive. It used to be less, but some many people looking at films and so many of their people trying to get all the films on line...well it just takes longer. You get to use them for about a month and you can renew them. Depends on how many hours your center is open and if there are limits on how long you can use a machine. We can use them all day, but some that are very busy restrict it to hours at a time or you make an appointment to use the machines. Call and ask them.

6. Make sure you have a translation dictionary if you do not speak Italian. Look at the book by Trafford Cole :ITALIAN GENEALOGY RECORDS or Lynn Nelson's: DISCOVERING YOUR ITALIAN ANCESTORS.
Both can help you read the records.

7. You get the most out marriage and death records....but start with the birth records: NATI They will get your feet wet in reading the records. I found at the beginning it was easier to just check for the names. Then copy and try and translate at home when you have more time. Good to have a template or form to go by...and then just fill in the blanks. It will get you accustomed to what to look for and it will become much easier. Even if you speak Italian, the handwriting can be a bear.

8. I have found on really bad records that are hard to read, copy them take them home, scan into a photo program and start erasing the stray marks in the background. You would be surprised at how this makes it so much easier to read.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes!
Sirena
Elite
Elite

Re: FHC

Post by Sirena »

Thank you so much Essgee. I'll let you know how it goes.