suggestions for locating death cert. please

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
gennattasio
Veteran
Veteran

suggestions for locating death cert. please

Post by gennattasio »

I have been unable to find a death date or cert. for my great grandfather Francesco, also known as Frank, born around 1860 in Italy, died sometime between 1904 and 1910 in New York. My great grandmother, Francesca, is listed as widowed on the 1910 census, they immigrated in 1901, had their last child around 1905 which is where I'm guessing this time frame from. I've searched the SSDI, NY obits, Ital Gen site NY death indexes, Ancestry.com, LDS Family Search and NY cemeteries. he seems to have just vanished. I'm a newbie at this so perhaps I missed something.
All of the suggestions I have received on these forums have been invaluable in my quest and I'd like to thank you all.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: suggestions for locating death cert. please

Post by suanj »

you mean this family...?
1910 United States Federal Census
about Frances Conte
Name: Frances Conte
[Francesco Conto]
Age in 1910: 38
Estimated birth year: abt 1872
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Home in 1910: Manhattan Ward 15, New York, New York
Marital Status: Widowed
Race: White
Year of Immigration: 1908
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Frances Conte 38
Coretta Conte 19
Maria Annie Conte 15
Joseph Conte 14
Mamie Conte 6
Kenna Conte 5
if yes the last children was born in New Jersey, so the father could be died in New Jersey also... just a suggestion, regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Sal329

Post by Sal329 »

I am looking for my grandfathers as well. He was born in Procida, 1919 and moved to the US 1936 and then moved back to Procida in 1995. Past away in 2005. His name is Vincenzo Borgogna
gennattasio
Veteran
Veteran

Post by gennattasio »

Yes that is my family. My grandfather Giuseppe was born in Italy but he put down on several documents that he was born in Newark or NY. On one of their manifests Francesco says he is going to visit his sister on Mulberry St. in Newark. Maria, lived on Mulberry St. in NY. I did check NJ just in case and came up with nothing. I'm pretty sure everyone was in NY and not Jersey.
gennattasio
Veteran
Veteran

Post by gennattasio »

suanj, Grazie mille for pointing me in that direction. I think I found my grandfather's sisters, Filomena and Laura in the SSDI, both born in NJ and passing away in 1987 and 1988 at the age of 84, one in NJ and one in NY, both with the last name changed to Conte. It made me very sad, I never knew them, I don't know why since I knew my grandfather's sister Mary Condo and remember her well. I'm not really 100% certain it is them but I have a feeling it is. My great grandfather seems to have vanished.
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

If the children were born in New Jersey, you might do a more intensive look into the death records for that state. Would possibly indicate they were there at the time of his death.

There is what appears to be a Ralph Conte on that same page with the family in the 1910 census. Could be a brother of your great-grandfather...though not sure here. Was trying to think why the family moved to NY after being in NJ. Maybe as a widow she moved near other family members.

But do check out the NJ side more thoroughly since that is the last place you can determine that he may have lived. Might want to find New Jersey directories and see if you can find the family and where they were living.

As far as the listings in the SSDI...were none of the women married? Or did you find them under their married names? If so, if you can find a birth record for Maime that tells you where they lived in NJ, it would be a start to find where she was baptized. If he died about that time, he was probably buried from the same church she was baptized in....a clue to possibly locating him. Worth a shot.

Good Luck
gennattasio
Veteran
Veteran

Post by gennattasio »

Good idea, thanks. I did notice Raffaele Conte listed twice on that 1910 census. My great grandmother's, Francesca Risidi Condo, death cert. arrived from NY today. Her birth date is listed as April 4, 1878, died 1944. A couple of new bits of information are: her father's name was Luigi Risidi and her daughter Concetta signed the death cert as Concetta Savica. Found Concettina Condo married Domenico Savia July 17, 1910 in NY. I also found what I believe is sister Laura's marriage to Michele Sangiuliano, Nov. 5, 1927 in NY. All women were listed under their maiden names except for Concetta in the SSDI.
gennattasio
Veteran
Veteran

Post by gennattasio »

Porca miseria! The LDS Family History Library does not have any vital records for New Jersey after 1900. The NJ Dept. of Health has not released the microfilm to any agency beyond the NJ State Archives. And even they are
not allowed to perform mail search requests. These films are for in-person use only. Sono perso.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi, well the right surname spelling it could be CONDO' or CONDRO' (with accent); they coming from Oppido Mamertina town( Reggio Calabria province); Francesca came with 3 children: Marianna, Giuseppe and Maria; nothing abt Concetta ......*
http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/3921 ... scazo9.gif
the Francesca surname I don't know if RISIDI is exact spell... I believe of no....
it is a problem to find more abt Francesco CONDO'/CONDRO'
regards, suanj

*found: following post

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

this must be the record of Francesco Condo and Concetta daughter ; what it is strange is the italian place: Messina.....; joining Maria Condo, sister of Francesco in Newark.... maybe could be helpful this info...
New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957 > 1901 > May > 07 > Trave>line 6:
http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/2755 ... ndohg3.jpg
now the surname is sure CONDO' spelling....
the first travel must be this:
New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957 > 1892 > June > 25 > Plata; coming from Oppido Mamertina (Reggio Calabria province) and yes born in Oppido but last residence Messina.... http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/2755 ... ndohg3.jpg

It is possible that the death record was registered also in Oppido Mamertina... regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

gennattasio wrote:Porca miseria! The LDS Family History Library does not have any vital records for New Jersey after 1900. The NJ Dept. of Health has not released the microfilm to any agency beyond the NJ State Archives. And even they are
not allowed to perform mail search requests. These films are for in-person use only. Sono perso.
Listing of Archdiocese of Newark Cemetery Records
on Latter Day Saints (LDS) Microfilm (Alpha by City)

http://library.shu.edu/sc-Genealogy-Cemeteries.htm

Mt. Olivet Newark
Alphabetical Index 1871 – 1984
Block Index 1871 – 1984

Day Books 1871 – 1984

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Many Italians who died in Newark,NJ were buried in Holy Sepulchre Cemetery in Newark/East Orange. LDS does have the records alphabetically. Here's a link for Newark cemeteries.

http://www.virtualnewarknj.com/cemeteri ... ulchre.htm

Hope it helps
gennattasio
Veteran
Veteran

Post by gennattasio »

Thanks for the excellent tips on the cemeteries. Our name was definitely Condò. I'm waiting on some microfilm from LDS on Oppido Mamertina for births and deaths. On my ggm's surname, I have her last name on 3 different documents including her death certificate and my gf's marriage cert. spelled differently: Risito, Ristisite, Risiti, Risidi, Rusiti. This one is still a mystery.
I don't know if the family was born in Oppido or just living there. I've found the Condò name coming from San Giorgio Morgeto, Polistena, Cinquefrondi and Anoia in Reggio Calabria but on my ggf's manifests it says Oppido on both.