rosa marandola a.k.a. rosa conte

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jolynn
Elite
Elite

rosa marandola a.k.a. rosa conte

Post by jolynn »

hello all, my great grandmother was born in cassino in what was then the province of caserta in 1856, her name when she married was rosa conte, i beleive after her husband died she married again and his surename was marandola, on her alien registration card for 1920 in england it said rosa marandola a.k.a rosa conte, what i am trying to find out is rosa,s maiden name, can anyone help bearing in mind most of the records for cassino were destroyed in ww2, could the birth records for cassino for people born at that time be held in caserta, could they also be held by the family history centre,s of the mormon church for those times, any help would be gratefully received as i am really stuck on this one, thanks all, regards, john
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Re: rosa marandola a.k.a. rosa conte

Post by BillieDeKid »

Hi John

Civil records for Cassino - birth, death and marriages (caserta) Frisinone - 1809 to 1900

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Library ... ato+civile++

Find your nearest Family History Center (FHC) to order and view LDS films
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Library ... et_fhc.asp

If you need any more help let us know.

Elizabeth
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

I read the other threads you have. So you're not sure what Rosa's actual maiden name was? Aquila Conte was her first husband and Marandola was her second husband?

When you check the marriage records look for Aquila Conte and Rosa ? It will give her maiden name as well as her fathers name and her mothers full name (maiden).

Let us know how it goes.

Elizabeth
jolynn
Elite
Elite

Post by jolynn »

hello elizabeth, thanks for your reply, there is possibly one clue i have found, rosa, had a daughter called maria who was born in cervaro in 1894, i have her birth cert, but is only a basic one, it does not show who her parents were on it, maria had a child in england and on the part of the cert. were it say,s mothers maiden name, the word denalla was, i wondered if it was a mistake and maria put down her mothers maiden name by mistake instead of her own maiden name, the registrar would have asked her the question and she got it wrong and like i said gave out her mother,s maiden name, so is there a name similar to denalla in italian bearing in mind she could not read or write in english, also if i sent a copy of the basic birth cert of maria could a fuller one be obtained, i tried to get one for her sister also born in cervaro and they replied that the registry office records were destroyed in the war, what do you think, thanks again for your interest, regards john
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

I had a similar problem with my grandfather and grandmothers information (records being destroyed). That's why I suggested the films. I order films for my family on the outside chance that there might be something and through the civil records by the province etc. the entire village was there for birth, death, marriages etc.

I think you should order the films and take a look. I'm about 99.9 percent sure if you asked them for a more detailed copy you'll be told they don't have it, but you can certainly try. I'd be interested to know what you decide to do.

Elizabeth
jolynn
Elite
Elite

Post by jolynn »

hello elizabeth, on the mormon listings it shows microfiche records for the appropriate dates and places, would you think that being the case, there would be a good chance of finding them, another question, were records also kept in the provincial capital as well as the town etc. do you know when the mormon,s started keeping these records? well elizabeth thankyou for your interest and help, it,s really appriciated and very helpful, regards, john
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Hi John,

Yes I think you'd have a good chance of finding them. I'm not sure but I do believe the records were also kept in the capital. Maybe someone on the forum that knows for sure can answer that. I don't know when the mormons started microfilming. I do know that it's still on going.

Let me know how it goes.

Elizabeth
jolynn
Elite
Elite

Post by jolynn »

hello elizabeth, thanks for that, i will send for the records, we have a family history centre here in grimsby england, i guess they will send to salt lake city for them, i am travelling to italy next april and would like to take as much information with me as possible, thanks again and i will keep you up to date, take good care, regards, john
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Good luck John and please post back if you have any questions or when your films come in. I'll be interested to see what you come up with.

Elizabeth
jolynn
Elite
Elite

Post by jolynn »

hello elizabeth, there is one question i would like to ask, my great grandfathers name was on my grandmother,s marriage cert. in england 1908, it said, father,s name mask aquila conte(deceased), as my grandmother could not speak english at that time she would have said the name to the registrar and he/she would have written it down as heared, could the mask be masch which i believe is mister in english, also the name aquila is not very common, could it be right or possibly some thing else which is similar, also is the name aquila masculine or feminine, in latin i believe it means eagle or something similar, would they be using latin names at that time, there seems to be so many questions and it is nice to discuss them, thankyou elizabeth for listening, kind regards, john
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Hi John

I'm attaching a manifest (you don't know him and neither do I) to show you that Aquila is a male name. Just so you have an example.
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0020

The Mask, I don't know. I've been trying to think what that could be and I'm not sure. When you find your grandmothers birth act it should list his full name and it will also list her mothers full name (maiden) with their ages. From there you should be able to find their marriage banns with their ages and each of their parents etc. etc. etc.

Something else I'll tell you, once the films are in do not go by the index of names you'll see on the films. I started to do that and found that there were quite a few documents with names on them not listed on the index. In reverse there were also names on the index and no documents. I told some other memebers here on the forum and at least one went back and checked......sure enough they found certificates for people not listed on the index. So take your time and go through them one at a time.

Feel free to post any questions you have John, everyone on the forum is very helpful and happy to answer any questions.

Elizabeth
Emmy
Master
Master

Post by Emmy »

John I've sent you a p.m.
jolynn
Elite
Elite

Post by jolynn »

hello elizabeth, thankyou for your help, especially the part about aquila, that helps, i will let you know how things are going, regards, john
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

You're very welcome. I'll be waiting to hear from you.
Emmy
Master
Master

Post by Emmy »

John you have been sent a p.m.