Casagranda family of Palu

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
warriorwoman

Casagranda family of Palu

Post by warriorwoman »

Oliva Casagranda, daughter of Pietro Oberosler, and Anna Casagranda. Curious about the family that remained in Palu? Peace, Patty 8)
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Re: Casagranda family of Palu

Post by BillieDeKid »

Hi Patty and welcome to the forum. There are two Palu -

Palu in the province of Verona the region of Veneto
Palu del Fersina in the province of Trento the region of Trentino Alto-Adige

Do you know which one?

Elizabeth
warriorwoman

Post by warriorwoman »

Hi, Elizabeth! Well the confusing thing is, on my grandmother's Ellis Island manifest she is listed as being German. I understand though, that the border fluctuated from time to time. I would venture Palu del Fersina would be the correct one. Trento and Basegla de Pines is also a name that comes up. I think Pietro Oberosler was from Fierozzo, I think I screwed the spelling up. Peace, Patty
wishyou
Veteran
Veteran

Post by wishyou »

Oberosler is a typical South Tyrol's surname (Alto Adige, Bozen/Bolzano area).
Palu (but could be Palù, with abcent on u) abitually came from marsh, that means that the area was a marsh long time ago (typical of the area were was glaciers.
In effect the area north to Garda lake became Italy after WWI, exactly 4 november 1918, confirmed by 1920 Paris treaty. It really was no Germany but Austro-Hungarian kingdom, but it is usual for South Tyrol people to consider themselves german, not austrian.
Finally, as I Wrote, Casagranda as Casagrande, Della Pietà and Del Pio Luogo are surnames given to children adopted by local family about the early 1800's.
warriorwoman

Post by warriorwoman »

wishyou wrote:Oberosler is a typical South Tyrol's surname (Alto Adige, Bozen/Bolzano area).
Palu (but could be Palù, with abcent on u) abitually came from marsh, that means that the area was a marsh long time ago (typical of the area were was glaciers.
In effect the area north to Garda lake became Italy after WWI, exactly 4 november 1918, confirmed by 1920 Paris treaty. It really was no Germany but Austro-Hungarian kingdom, but it is usual for South Tyrol people to consider themselves german, not austrian.
Finally, as I Wrote, Casagranda as Casagrande, Della Pietà and Del Pio Luogo are surnames given to children adopted by local family about the early 1800's.
Thank you for your response. Very interesting. I guess my next stop will be the LDS Center to browse their films. I am lucky enough to have one about 15 min. away. Peace. Patty 8)
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

warriorwoman wrote:Oliva Casagranda, daughter of Pietro Oberosler, and Anna Casagranda. Curious about the family that remained in Palu? Peace, Patty 8)
What Palu is that?
Palù di Giovo or Palù di Grigno?
bye Riccardo from Trentino, Italy
warriorwoman

Post by warriorwoman »

ricbru wrote:
warriorwoman wrote:Oliva Casagranda, daughter of Pietro Oberosler, and Anna Casagranda. Curious about the family that remained in Palu? Peace, Patty 8)
What Palu is that?
I'm not sure. The Baptism records just say Palu'. My grandmother's brother Pietro married Edwina Anderle in 1925. I don't think he came to the U.S. I was under the assumption that her sister came to the U.S. and then went back. I think she also married and Anderle. I apologize for my ignorance to European locales. Peace, Patty 8)
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Can you post your grandmother's manifest?
warriorwoman

Post by warriorwoman »

misbris wrote:Can you post your grandmother's manifest?
No, I don't have a copy. I found it at Ellis Island under Oliva Casagranda. She claims to be german, and comes from Palai Tyrol, headed to Wardner Idaho. On Mar. 25, 1913. P.
warriorwoman

Post by warriorwoman »

Thank you! Researching the family in Europe is fascinating to me. Plus it helps me to keep my sanity since losing my son 30 mos. ago. I did find out in my researching that there were clusters of villages in the Italian Alps with German inhabitants. Wish I had talked to the Grandmother more about her past. Patty 8)
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Sorry to hear about your son.

The research is very interesting. Many of us are sorry we did not ask more questions of our grandparents.

According to Oliva's manifest she was going to her sister Amalia Anderly(sp ?) in Wardner. Do you have any census records?

If some of our Italian members look at the manifest, they can better tell you which Palu it is.
warriorwoman

Post by warriorwoman »

misbris wrote:Sorry to hear about your son.

The research is very interesting. Many of us are sorry we did not ask more questions of our grandparents.

According to Oliva's manifest she was going to her sister Amalia Anderly(sp ?) in Wardner. Do you have any census records?

If some of our Italian members look at the manifest, they can better tell you which Palu it is.
If this link works, scroll down to Emelia Casagranda. I was very encouraged when I found that. Oliva's first husband was K/Carl Anderle. A marriage of convenience you might say. Her brother Pietro Giovanni Casagranda/e married Edwina Anderle, in 1925. On Oliva's Ellis Island manifest, did her mother's name look like it started with an O? :?: Patty 8) http://www.colorado.gov/dpa/doit/archiv ... _c.htm#-C-
warriorwoman

Post by warriorwoman »

ricbru wrote:
What Palu is that?
How about Palu del Fersina? Patty
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Could be an O, could be an A. You seem to think is is Anna, do you have any documentation for that? I'm going to check census records for this.