Looking for Last Name Fiducia

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Blueberry

Looking for Last Name Fiducia

Post by Blueberry »

Hello Everyone,
I am totally new to all of this but I'm looking for my ancestors with the last name Fiducia. My grandmother never knew her grandparents b/c her parents supposedly immigrated from Italy to New York in the 30's. Both of my grandmother's parents were Italian and i believe they immigated seperately and met in New York although i'm not sure of this. My grandmother didn't know much about her grandparents b/c she didn't know them but my great grandparents names were Nunzio and Jennie Fiducia and my grandmothers maiden name was Josaphine Fiducia. If anyone has any info I'd really appreciate it. Brittany Copp
mfjp
Master
Master

Re: Looking for Last Name Fiducia

Post by mfjp »

Your Great Grandmother's maiden name was ??? .... also Fiducia?

Just took a glance of Ellis island manifests and see that many of the Fiducia's of earlier years were from Sicily.

Do you know what town they were from?

Ancestry .com (paid subcription site) carries 1930's manifests from other ports.... but not New York... someone out there correct me if I am wrong...

mfjp
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Hi Maria,

You are correct that the 1930's is not available from ancestry.com for the port of NY.

There are indexes to this time period available at NARA (also from LDS family history centers, but I didn't check index to confirm). A request can be sent to NARA and they will check the index. If you have a date or a ship more likely to get better results.

Also 1930's is fairly recent history. A FOIA can be sent to USCIS for information on the immigrant's arrival and naturalization records.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Blueberry wrote:Hello Everyone,
I am totally new to all of this but I'm looking for my ancestors with the last name Fiducia. My grandmother never knew her grandparents b/c her parents supposedly immigrated from Italy to New York in the 30's. Both of my grandmother's parents were Italian and i believe they immigated seperately and met in New York although i'm not sure of this. My grandmother didn't know much about her grandparents b/c she didn't know them but my great grandparents names were Nunzio and Jennie Fiducia and my grandmothers maiden name was Josaphine Fiducia. If anyone has any info I'd really appreciate it. Brittany Copp
this is an Nunzio but emigrated in 1920 http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0456%2ETIF
and the about this same Nunzio coming from Calatafimi(Trapani province,Sicily region), name spouse Sebastiana GIANGRASSO (! no Jennie) final destination of this Nunzio was Detroit, but residence changed sure in 1921:

Nunzio FIDUCIA
Birth Date: 4 May 1892
Death Date: Nov 1979
Social Security Number: 068-10-4344
State or Territory Where Number Was Issued: New York

Death Residence Localities
ZIP Code: 32935
Localities: Eau Gallie, Brevard, Florida
Melbourne, Brevard, Florida

and this an Jennie Fiducia:

Jennie FIDUCIA
Birth Date: 20 May 1904
Death Date: 2 Apr 1988
Social Security Number: 085-22-5175
State or Territory Where Number Was Issued: New York

Death Residence Localities
ZIP Code: 36303
Localities: Dothan, Houston, Alabama
Kinsey, Houston, Alabama
Napier Field, Houston, Alabama

... strange that, after New York, the other localities are different... you have some suggestions? my idea is that also your ancestors cames from Calatafimi.. regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Blueberry

Post by Blueberry »

Hello Everyone
Thanx for your suggestions...I looked at the ellis island records and found that my great grandfather, Nunzio Fiducia arrived Aug. 28, 1920 @ the age of 27. He came on the ship Ferdinando Palasciano, sailed from Napoli. He was from Calatafimi, Sicily and the ship records said he was joining his brother-in-law Alberto Spano in Detroit. Unfortunately i haven't been able to find anything about Alberto yet. :( Neither have i been able to find any records from Calatafimi b/c the sites I've found are all in Italian...lol...but i have found Nunzio's Social Security Application which i'm sending for from New York. If anyone has any suggestion on how to get birth marriage records from Italy I'd really appreciate it. OH! I forgotr to mention that when Nunzio arrived he was already married w/children. The only thing is it wasn't to my great grandmother...lol...he left his first wife in Italy and remarried in New York. So many things to discover! :D Brittany
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Hi Brittany,

There are microfilm records for the town of Calatafimi. YOu are lucky as they go from 1832 - 1926.
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... umns=*,0,0

How to find a family history center near you to use the microfilm:
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... et_fhc.asp
Also, you might check with larger libraries nearby. Many have the ability to order LDS films.

Here is a post on how to use these records written by Trish:
http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/inde ... pic&t=2581

Have you looked for your family on census reports? If you need help finding them tell us where the family lived in 1930 and names of children
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

I don't think Alberto Spano was in Detroit...

I think he was in Newark, New Jersey (and not New York as I originally posted)... The ship keepers usually wrote the name first... then the address..

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 0456%2ETIF

63 BRUCE ST. NEWARK, NJ

Here's an Alberto

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 1516040045

First Name: Alberto
Last Name: Spano
Ethnicity: Italian
Last Place of Residence: Calatafini, Trapani
Date of Arrival: February 07, 1909
Age at Arrival:  21y    Gender:  M    Marital Status:  M  
Ship of Travel: San Giorgio
Port of Departure: Palermo
Manifest Line Number: 0016

mfjp
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Thanks Maria. I didn't look at the manifest, just went by the info provided by Brittany.
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Hi All.. looks like we are all posting info at the same time...

Heres another... same guy? same street....

First Name: Alberto
Last Name: Spano
Ethnicity: Italian South
Last Place of Residence: Newark, N. J.
Date of Arrival: May 21, 1913
Age at Arrival:  26y    Gender:  M    Marital Status:  S  
Ship of Travel: Taormina
Port of Departure: Palermo
Manifest Line Number: 0023

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0636070469

Is this your Alberto of interest?
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

I looked at the manifest link. Not positive, but it does seem to look like Newark. Newark is in New Jersey, not New York. Couldn't find the Albert Spano in NY census in 1930, but in 1930 he is in Neward, NJ! So Leonarda should be the sister of Nunzio (assuming they gave accurate info)

Name: Albert Spano
Estimated birth year: abt 1888
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to head-of-house: Head
Spouse's Name: Leonarda Spano
Race: White

http://img326.imageshack.us/img326/4719/spano9ng.jpg
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

You are absolutely right :!:

The destination was written as New York - but was corrected by the record keeper..

On page one... the "Y" was crossed off and corrected with a "J"

The second manifest I posted clearly says N.J. :P

Maria

p.s. That red star you posted in the census is a great marker :!:
Blueberry

Post by Blueberry »

Hello Everyone, Been a while but I'm back. Update on the family tree, I sent for Nunzio's (my great grandfather) SS application. His parents names were Joseph Fiducia and Grace Gulotta. His first wife was Sebastiana Giangrasso. She and their two daughters came over in 1921, one year after he did. They later divorced and in 1928 he married my great grandmother Jennie. Her real name was Antionette, Antonette, or Antonia, I'm not sure which. Her maiden name was (and I'm guessing how to spell it here) Lovelina. She came over with her father, 2 brothers and a sister. Her mother was already dead. She was around 4 years old when they came over, being born on May 20, 1904 in Patana or Partana or Parlana. This info comming form my great aunt who has a very heavy Italian accent which makes it hard to understand her coupled with the fact that all of this was told to her when she was a child so she may not be remembering it correctly. I have searched the Ellis Island records for an Antionette, Antonette, and Antonia. I've tried the last name Lovelina and many different spelling witha similar sound and also her father's name Joseph with the same last name with absolutely no results. If anyone has a suggestion on how to spell the last name I would greatly appreciate it. I'm at a complete dead end.
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

One possibility
Lo Vellino from Partanna
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »