Surname Simonelli Family from Casserta (Napoli)

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
MariaV75

Surname Simonelli Family from Casserta (Napoli)

Post by MariaV75 »

Hello,

I was interested in knowing if anyone on this board has heard of this family. This is my husbands mothers maiden name- they originally came from Italy and settled in Windsor Lox, CT. They eventually made their way to Elizabeth, NJ.

Has anyone ever heard of this name?

Thanks! Maria V.
misbris
Master
Master

Re: Surname Simonelli Family from Casserta (Napoli)

Post by misbris »

Maria,

Welcome to the forum.
Simonelli is a fairly common name in NJ. Are you looking for an Italian connectiion or an American one? Do you have any information about when they immigrated or from what part of Italy? Any details you post will help narrow down the family's history.
MariaV75

Post by MariaV75 »

Hello misbris,

Thank you very much for your response, the Simonelli's were from Casserta- which is a town about 1 1/2 - 2 hours south of Rome.

This is my husbands mothers maiden name, so I do agree that i need to do a little more searching. I do know that they settled in Hartford, CT when they originally came to America. Then they moved to WIndsor Locks, CT. They eventually made it it Elizabeth, NJ. But I would love to be able to start somewhere so I can pass down the family to my son oneday.

Thanks, if you have any other info that would be great - and im going to dig a little further as well.
Ciao, Maria
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Caserta is a province in the Campania region of Italy. There are many towns or comunes in the province.

http://en.comuni-italiani.it/061/index.html

If you look at the distribution of the name, you will see that it is common all over Italy. (Put in Simonelli where it says cognome and hit cerca)

http://www.gens.labo.net/en/cognomi/genera.html

One way to narrow down the place your family is from is to look at immigration records. Did your mother-in-law's parents or grandparents come from Italy? What were their names? Approximately when did they arrive? If you can get some of these questions answered, we can help you find your Simonellis.

Mary Jo
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Look at the very bottom of the page. There is a Joseph Simonelli, wife Rose, son (looks like Thomas) from Winsor Locks, CT. Is this your family?

http://persi.heritagequestonline.com/hq ... &offset=10
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Another link to Mary Jo's census find
(in case you don't have home acccess
to HeritageQuest)
1930 census
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Thanks vj, Usually that link doesn't need a log in. I don't know why it happened. I think it is fixed now. I had to clear my temporary internet files, I works now when I try it. I hope it works for everyone else.

If this is the right family for Maria, I have found some other info. I won't post anything else until Maria confirms.