Lamberti Lambertori Lamentori family from Lucca

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
robteaston

Lamberti Lambertori Lamentori family from Lucca

Post by robteaston »

Hello

This is my first post here. I have come across a brickwall in my research. An ancestor of mine, Lamberto Lamberti, was an Italian merchant in Antwerp in the late 1500s. He was a member of the Italian Nation of the city. He died in Brussels in 1608. Lamberto was married to a local lady, Cornelia van der Linden.

The Antwerp sources don't say directly that Lamberti was from Lucca. However, his son Don Francisco Lamberti was the ambassador of the Luccan Republic in Madrid. All this information comes from the notarial records of Antwerp, where the surname is spelled also as Lamentori and Lambertori.

I'd appreciate any information about the Lambertis of Lucca, or sources that deal with the merchant or noble class of the republic. I'm totally clueless!

Regards
Rob
misbris
Master
Master

Re: Lamberti Lambertori Lamentori family from Lucca

Post by misbris »

Hi and welcome to the forum,

Sounds like you have already done quite a lot of research. Have you explored the LDS records? You can search by name or by location.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... t_fhlc.asp

Hope this helps.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Reaston you do not say and I have no way of knowing what indices you referred to in your research of the Lamberti family in Lucca. There are immediate references to Lamberti in Lucca in Google which I imagine you must have surveyed in order to hit a brick wall. Please advise what sources you checked so gthat duplication of effort does not take place. =Peter=[
robteaston

Post by robteaston »

Hello

I was lucky enough to find a book called "Cercar esca. Mercanti lucchesi ad Anversa nel Cinquecento" by Renzo Sabbatini, and have ordered it. Hopefully it will contain info about Lamberto.

The Mormons don't seem to have 16th century records from Lucca microfilmed.

I have Googled for Lamberti and Lucca. Google Books found some interesting sources, which, however, don't mention Lamberto's parents or family. I write here my findings:

The Lamberti family of Lucca worked for the Bonvisi family, who were merchants with branches around Europe.

Francesco Lamberti and two other Luccans were sent in 1569 to Burgos, Spain, by the Bonvisis, to restore the businesses threatened by certain bankruptcies in Seville.[Source: La banque protestante en France de la révocation de l'édit de Nantes à la révolution. Bande 1. Paris 1959, p. 199.]

In Rouen, France, the correspondent of the Bonvisis was Paolo Lamberti, whose businesses extended to Narva and Moscow.[Source: La banque protestante en France de la révocation de l'édit de Nantes à la révolution. Bande 1. Paris 1959, p. 199.]
Paolo lived in Rouen from 1558 to 1576.[Source: Revue des sociétés savantes de Haute-Normandie. No.68-69 (1973-75), p. 5.]
In 1558 he was appointed by Vincenzo Santini, a representative of the Bonvisis in Rouen, to take care of Santini's affairs. In 1570 Paolo Lamberti succeeded Santini as the representative of the Bonvisis of Lyon at Rouen.[Source: Revue des sociétés savantes de Haute-Normandie. No.68-69 (1973-75), p. 7.]
Between 1571 and 1576 Paolo supplied his brother Antonio, who was based in Lucca, with leather from Moscow.[Source: Pierre Jeannin, Les relations économiques des villes de la Baltique avec Anvers au XVI siècle (2. Teil). Vierteljahrschrift für Sozial- und Wirtschaftsgeschichte (VSWG). Bd. 43, 1956, p. 330.]
Paolo Lamberti's brother-in-law was Pandolfo Cenami.[Source: Revue du Nord. Lille 1910, p. 107.]

The Bonvisis also had a branch in Antwerp. In 1578 Lamberto Lamberti, a 44-year-old Luccan, became its director. In 1584, at the time of the siege of Antwerp, he left the city for Holland, and the businesses of the Antwerp branch stopped.[Source: La banque protestante en France de la révocation de l'édit de Nantes à la révolution. Bande 1. Paris 1959, p. 199.]

Lamberto Lamberti returned later to Antwerp. There in 1599 his daughter Magdalena got married to Jacques Ghijsberti, a jeweller in Antwerp, Venice and Constantinople.[Sources: O. Le Maire, Geslachtlijst der familie Ghysbrechts. Met geschiedkundige bijzonderheden haar betreffende Mechelen. Mechelen 1930; Godelieve V. E. van Hemeldonck, Het Grootwerk; edelsmeden en juweeliers 14e-19e eeuw bevat gegevens van 5000 personen, gebaseerd op notariële akten, schepenbrieven, parochieregisters, kieslijsten, archieven van scholen en Academie, gildeboeken, etc.; totaal bijna 3000 pagina's (PDF)]
Lamberto was a merchant in Antwerp on 15 February 1605, when a passport was issued to him and his son-in-law Jacques at The Hague by Prince Maurits. The passport, which has been for sale in auctions, allowed Lamberto and Jacques to travel with a servant each, family and luggage in the provinces of Brabant, Flanders and the United Provinces.[Source: Email from Antiquariaat A.G. van der Steur, October 13, 2005.] Lamberto Lamberti died in Brussels in 1608.

Lamberto's surname is also spelled as Lamentori and Lambertori in the notarial records. His son Don Francisco Lamberti was the ambassador of the Republic of Lucca in Madrid. Lamberto had daughters Maria, and Magdalena, who was married to the above mentioned Ghijsberti. A relation of Lamberto Lamberti, possibly a daughter, was Isabella Lamberti, the wife of the Portuguese-born Antwerp jeweller and business partner of Jacques Ghijsberti, Francisco Fernandes Duarte. Leonardo Lamentori, a factor of Ghijsberti and Duarte in Aleppo, Syria, might have been of the same family.[Source: Godelieve V. E. van Hemeldonck, Het Grootwerk; edelsmeden en juweeliers 14e-19e eeuw bevat gegevens van 5000 personen, gebaseerd op notariële akten, schepenbrieven, parochieregisters, kieslijsten, archieven van scholen en Academie, gildeboeken, etc.; totaal bijna 3000 pagina's (PDF)]

This is all I've got at the moment
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

IK am impressed by the depth of your research and moreso by the detailed sources for your information which is indeed an indication of scholarship.

I dealt with an antiquarian book dealer in Bologna Arnaldo Forni Editore whose catalogue of cities, regions may prove helpful. His e-mail is info@fornieditore.com. Lots of luck to you.=Peter=
robteaston

Post by robteaston »

Thank you for your advice. It's a bit hard to find literature about Lucca.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

My catalogue shows sparse publications but there is a listing for two books on sale in the forni catalogue which looks inviting. One is Ricordi e biografie Lucchesi (Lucca 1916) by Giovanni Sdforza which cost about $60.00 US$ and Storia di Lucca dall'anno 1004 all'anno 1700 (Firenze 1847) by Girolamo Tommasi at about the same price and seems evenore promising. If you are constrained you might want to ask the Forni people to see if the Lamberrti family is mentioned in the book indices. =Peter=
kissy1978

Post by kissy1978 »

ciao io sono italiana...mia nonna si chiama Lamberti Celide abita a la maddalena..i miei parenti sono toscani, e anche americani e francesi... vorremmo avere notizie sui nostri parenti...per favore contattatemi cosi possiamo scambiarci informazioni in merito...premetto che nn conosco l'inglese...i not speak english...sorry =)...