italians in brasil

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ChrisMosca
Elite
Elite

italians in brasil

Post by ChrisMosca »

Does anyone here know of a good database of italians that when to brazil.
thanks.
Looking for the surnames Mosca( Marches ), Pizzoglio (Piedmonte), Chiacchiera, Lobasso(Bari), Gallo(Malvito), Azzolina (Messina).
Cathynap
Veteran
Veteran

Re: italians in brasil

Post by Cathynap »

There are many Italians in Brasil. Here are 2 resources:
Limited ship records to Brasil
http://213.212.128.168/radici/ie/defaultie_e.htm
great surname database in South America
http://www.apellidositalianos.com.ar/
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Kathynap there are so many disparate web sites for Brazil and totally in Portuguese and were it not for my knowing both Italian and Spanish I would just throw up my hands in disgust. What makes things wiorse is thereis no cohesion of any kind between different parts of Brazil including their telephone system and directories. Were someone of Portugese extraction or able to speak Portuguese they would be crowned king of the hill. Aregntina and Chile are much better but you need to know what you want and then again their fine print and always applications and fees at every turn. =Peter=
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

arrivals in Santos, Sao Paulo, Brazil:
http://www.memorialdoimigrante.sp.gov.br/
regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Cathynap
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Cathynap »

PeterTimber wrote:Dear Kathynap there are so many disparate web sites for Brazil and totally in Portuguese and were it not for my knowing both Italian and Spanish I would just throw up my hands in disgust. What makes things wiorse is thereis no cohesion of any kind between different parts of Brazil including their telephone system and directories. Were someone of Portugese extraction or able to speak Portuguese they would be crowned king of the hill. Aregntina and Chile are much better but you need to know what you want and then again their fine print and always applications and fees at every turn. =Peter=
Peter, I've been lucky. I have had many Argentinian's contact me. And a few from Chile. Several are cousins (my grandfather and theirs were cousins). That is the joy of a website. My Spanish is very rusty but I have friends who speak it and they help me. A lot of Brasilians visit my site but they have never contacted me. I would not know what to do if they did. 8O
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Pull your hair out!!!!!!!!!!=Peter=
ChrisMosca
Elite
Elite

Post by ChrisMosca »

Thanks everybody!!!! But i'm just not finding anything no luck here.
Looking for the surnames Mosca( Marches ), Pizzoglio (Piedmonte), Chiacchiera, Lobasso(Bari), Gallo(Malvito), Azzolina (Messina).
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Chris just who are you looking for in Brazil. Lets start over anmd give me the data you want. =Peter=
ChrisMosca
Elite
Elite

Post by ChrisMosca »

I'm looking for the parents of my grandmother. Marino Pizzoglio Married Angela Lobasso or Lobazzo in bari, Italy before they moved to brasil. I'm not sure where in bari. there's lot of communes there. they had some relatives in brasil but for some reason they went to argentina. My aunt remembers hearing about it when she was a kid. My grandmother was born in argentina in 1915 so they had to move to brasil before then. Not sure excatly how long before 1915.
thanks very much.
Aether
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Aether »

If anybody needs help with Portuguese, please let me know. I am fluent.
Phone books in BR are bad, worst after a co. from Spain took over. Most people are unlisted, and unpublished, specially in Sao Paulo for safety reasons. I can also help with Spanish.
In Sao Paulo there is good site. Will check.

There are some orthographic differences, from Port. , in BR, as in Argentina, but no problem.
As in Italy it is by all cell phones! :?
Aether
"Fiori di grano.
Amici piu' di prima saremo;
Amici piu' di prima da lontano".
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Aether thank you so much for the offer and I may come to you for advice but as you know its not Portuguese langiage that makes things difficult but knowing where to go for the information and how to go about getting it. I myself am fluent in Spanish and Italian and can appreciate your knowing Portuguese more than most people. Thanks again and Happy new Year.

En parte vive? =peter=
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Chris for you rinformation Rio Grande Do Sul, Santa Catarina, Parana and Sao paulo are Brazil southern states where most immigrants settled. Italians began arriving in the 1870's To a minor degree Espiritu Santo and Rio De janeiro was also a destination for immigrants. So now we can concentrate on these areas where we can get a bang for the effort!! In the meantime is there anything you can tell me about the family in brazil?? Once we know in what city or town they went to we could contact the registro Civil. This is what we are faced with. I will try to get you a research network so you can research. Please be patient.=Peter=
Aether
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Aether »

PeterTimber,

Many thanks for your answer.
When I say I am fluent, I mean fluent!
I know I have not used any of the sources you all have access to, however, I may have access to private family archives, and to scholarly societies closed to non members, I am a FELLOW of one.

And, I have access to many major European and Brazillian archives. I am a published author, have done research at Oxford, Cambridge. American Universities, Sapienza, Biblioteca Nacional do Rio de Janeiro, Royal Navy, UK, Royal Society, UK and in several Archives in Paris, etc. etc.

I have NO INTEREST, NONE, to become a professional genealogist, my interest is to find information related to the "Subjects" of my work- manly on history, biographical papers on noble and royal families, writers, scholars, etc.
And, by the way I am very particular about the usage of coat of arms!

Said CLARIFIED - I must say I much admire all your work and the breadth of your knowledge in quite different areas from mine.
________
I find exclusivism an enemy of knowledge! :o

With best wishes for 2008,
Aether
"Fiori di grano.
Amici piu' di prima saremo;
Amici piu' di prima da lontano".
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Aether I must admit I am impressed by your credentials and simultaneous warmth of expression. I wish to thank you for reaching out to me in such a graceful manner. =Peter=
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

I think we are getting away from the original topic here. Perhaps we can backtrack and see if we can come up with some more resources for Chris to explore.

Chris, I believe suanj provided a great site..have you been able to see if it helps you at all?

Aether, your offer is very generous and very much appreciated. I'm in awe of your credentials as well and would love to hear more! Thank You.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database